A Humble Request For Increased PM Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    What on earth do you want/need 1000 for ?.
    Excuse me sir, perhaps could you enlight me about the SQTalker who's first in the saved PMs ranking ?
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
      Excuse me sir, perhaps could you enlight me about the SQTalker who's first in the saved PMs ranking ?
      Absolutely, I currently have more than our Dear Kyo+ and I am more than happy with the current allocation.

When I need to send a PM or am expecting one, I just delete a few old ones.

Comment

Usually You can download all of your PMs on your local host...
        Have I been missing something? How do we do THIS?

Alternatively aren't you on Facebook/MySpace/Tw*tter or one of those other idiotic tools that people with no life* use all the time ?.

*Ducks.....
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          Have I been missing something? How do we do THIS?
          Probably the links at the bottom of your PM page which say:

Download all Private Messages as:
          XML | CSV | Text

I've done it before. It works. I deleted all my PMs afterwards. Free space again!

Comment

Time to declutter the PM box me thinks?
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Hello!
              I'm ok to increase PM, but I'm just curious... Usually You can download all of your PMs on your local host, so the question is: do you really need to have 500+ available online everytime?

Anyway, while SQFG tries to put pressure over me, the final decision has to be taken by the whole staff. So the "dear leader" (btw, I don't like it too much, is very authoritarian-style) is not able to decide on his own.
              Some very replies there!

Thanks for getting back, LukeGT!

XML and CSV downloads open into what seems to be a big mess. TXT works (of course), but is there some sort of algorithm / database that I can list every single PM individually instead of one massive chunk of 350 all-linked-together PMs?

Alternatively aren't you on Facebook/MySpace/Tw*tter or one of those other idiotic tools that people with no life* use all the time ?.

*Ducks.....
              Apart from the fact that you PM-ed me like 5% of my PM space!?

Even in my first post, I alluded to the fact that not all 2,981 members on SQTalk would have a need for such an amount of PM space. I'd say maybe only the top 2% of PM users at most would appreciate it. I, for one, do like seeing everything nicely organised and only having to delete selectively has sort of worked, up until now. Yes, there are 350 PMs that for one reason or another I'd like to have 'on hand', *including sentimental reasons like me and you bitching about 4Ps BKK*

Until Gmail's 'don't-delete-anything, ever' mantra appears in VB's PM system, let us encourage excess and wanton PM-ing!

Whoa! Put down the targeting reticle eh? Most prominent SQTalk celebrities seem to have FB accounts (a pair of bears and a LARGE figure notwithstanding) too! It's our choice if we don't want to have a real life!

No, I don't MySpace (American invention that's a total unproductive use of time)... Twitter (double total waste of time and pointless for non-iPhone /non-celebrities), but how else am I going to show pics of me lying flat on a colourful rock to my mum and dad/sis/dog?

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Time to declutter the PM box me thinks?
              KeithMEL: Great to hear form ya, bud... but telling someone that uses Gmail to de-clutter is like telling them to delete every e-mail in their e-mail account. Reality says it just ain't happenin'!

My Gmail is hitting nigh on 7GBs at the moment and well - Gmail doesn't stop 'expanding' its limit, for a reason... past the point of no return, here...

(If anyone really has a solution, be it Excel, Access or even iPhone App to split 350 PMs from a TXT file without doing it manually, I'm all ears, seriously! I just think seeing it all as one TXT file renders this method rather tedious in this modern day and age! Always thought it was the silliest-implemented 'feature' from Jelsoft, and I've said the same to one of their developers I'm familiar with on another Aussie IT forum I've previously mentioned)

Peace out and please consider!

You guys do a great job running the site and I'm just making a suggestion how it could be that *little* bit better without all that much work, yo! Very appreciated always!

Comment

Downloading in CSV and then opening it using Excel looks fine to me. Six columns with all the data neatly in each column

Date Folder Title From To Message
                23/3/2009 12:09 Sent Items Re: Singapore - Tues 24 Mar evening ? SuperJonJon XXX "message here"

23/3/2009 17:14 Sent Items Re: Singapore - Tues 24 Mar evening ? SuperJonJon XXX "message here"

Comment

Is that practical for multi-page/multi-quote PMs? Or how about times when one is without Excel access? I personally feel having more PM space is an improvement that just makes SQTalk that goes a long way to enabling more that little bit of functionality.

If everyone's happy with downloading XML files every so often, by all means maintain the status quo then - but sometimes I have PMs that I don't know I'll be requiring access to, when I'm out and about, so I'll be SOL because I've downloaded everything to an XML sitting on my hard drive in a laptop I've left somewhere. If I forget to bring my laptop, or for whatever reasons simply didn't have time/foresight to bring a Excel reader with me, I'm also SOL.

The cloud is the future, people!

I'll admit, the opening post purposely had a tinge of a PITA whine to it, but that was done good-naturedly and was to inspire a lively discussion. The intent behind it was a positive one, and I hope, a beneficial suggestion to the wider community whether they ever require more than 350 PMs or not.

God forbid if someone told me to download my Gmail account into an Excel file... even if it was all in TXT form! It just wouldn't be very practical I reckon...

Comment

Will the XML export maintain the actual snapshot of the PM's?

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    Apart from the fact that you PM-ed me like 5% of my PM space!?
                    Whoa...is there a budding bromance going on here?

Most prominent SQTalk celebrities seem to have FB accounts (a pair of bears and a LARGE figure notwithstanding) too!
                    Having an account is one thing; using it as a form as communications (which it is NOT) is quite another.
                    HUGE AL

Comment

While I personally think that almost none needs to have 350 messages on a day-by-day basis (come on, I don't think you make your business through PM @ SQT, otherwise I'd ban you since you're going aginst T&C ) and while I think if someone urges to access files or messages at any time, he would have to consider to buy some space on the web (please ask for suggestions!), I - and I'm talking for myself only - am fine to increase the limit to 500PMs for regulars, with the hope they could improve their efforts to do as much housekeeping as they can.

I don't want to be pennypinching (but finally, we have to learn something from SQ ), but more messages means, more space on the web, more traffic and more e-mails generated.

Comment

LukeGT, thanks very much for your reply. Kindly PM me (my box is full, but I'll delete one slot, not that it'll matter when admins/mods PM me anyway) what you think would be a reasonable amount and I'll see what little bit I can do to offset what I have/will use in the future. More than happy to contribute to a great website and a bunch of hardworking people behind-the-scenes...

(and thank you for your offer of considering 500 PM slots for regulars - but perhaps 'regular' can be a little subjective to the individual?)

HUGE AL: A certain Dear Leader (bless his soul!) more or less accused all Facebook-ers (as in, all 500 million+ of them) of having no lives..! Let us take umbrage and unite together, comrades!

No idea about budding bromances?

Is someone kissing and telling?

Comment

LukeGT, thanks very much for your reply. Kindly PM me (my box is full, but I'll delete one slot, not that it'll matter when admins/mods PM me anyway) what you think would be a reasonable amount and I'll see what little bit I can do to offset what I have/will use in the future. More than happy to contribute to a great website and a bunch of hardworking people behind-the-scenes...

(and thank you for your offer of considering 500 PM slots for regulars - but perhaps 'regular' can be a little subjective to the individual?)
                          Starting from the end.... Regulars are those with more than 20 posts, which means about 500 members.
                          About the subjectiveness, I'm going to reveal that when the staff began to discuss the matter, one of the first point to come up, was the fact the requestor was a very popular/active user.
                          LOL

Regarding the first part of the post, I wasn't seeking for money. We're not doing cost-cutting measures. It was only a consideration
                          When we started the project we knew what we were doing, and we expected to count exclusively on ourselves

Comment

2011's looking up!

Awesome stuff, all of you!

(never intended for a popularity contest to take place!)

Comment

...the fact the requestor was a very popular...
                              This is "fact"???
                              HUGE AL

Comment

I've never needed to use the ignore user function on a thread-by-thread basis before... let me fiddle around...

D'oh, just discovered it's a universal ignore...

Last edited by Kyo; 24 January 2011, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X