International cabin crew members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Every SIN bound flight I've been on for years would have CC come through with immigration cards. The one time ever that I wanted one, I asked and was told to get one once I landed. The very next flight heading to SIN I took, they came through with the cards.
    Interesting. I was actually referring to SQ1/2 between HKG and SFO. Neither directions were crews actively handing out landing cards before landing; only English announcements were made.

Comment

I noted some interesting things flying DUS-SIN referring to the above.

As the crew were preparing for take off, recorded audio was used- both in English and German, with the English in an overly "British" accent which to me doesn't really reflect modern Singapore, but anyway.

Once in the air, all announcements were made live by crew, both in English and German at all times. There were two crew who could provide the German announcement, one with a particularly good level of pronunciation. I'm sure it wasn't a recording because in one of them, she had to stop to cough slightly.

Crew came through the cabin prior to landing in SIN to distribute immigration cards.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        I noted some interesting things flying DUS-SIN referring to the above.

As the crew were preparing for take off, recorded audio was used- both in English and German, with the English in an overly "British" accent which to me doesn't really reflect modern Singapore, but anyway.

Once in the air, all announcements were made live by crew, both in English and German at all times. There were two crew who could provide the German announcement, one with a particularly good level of pronunciation. I'm sure it wasn't a recording because in one of them, she had to stop to cough slightly.

Crew came through the cabin prior to landing in SIN to distribute immigration cards.
        AFAIK, SQ does have local (SIN) crew that are trained in German and French.
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
          AFAIK, SQ does have local (SIN) crew that are trained in German and French.
          Yes they learn German @Goethe Institute in Chinatown.

Normally onboard they wear a badge indicating which foreign language they can speak. Somehow I remember that earlier such badges were also common on Flights to Japan/Korea, but I think they disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post

Normally onboard they wear a badge indicating which foreign language they can speak. Somehow I remember that earlier such badges were also common on Flights to Japan/Korea, but I think they disappeared.
            I know they have Japanese nationals working as cabin crew for flights to / from Japan , might be the same for Korea. Never done SIN-BCN so I'm unsure if they have crew trained in Spanish.
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post

In my memory, all "foreign" crews have name badges that were gold-background as the Singaporean crews have black-background badges. I don't recall seeing any specific crew has "language spoken" indicated on their badge. Were they disappeared a long time ago?

Comment

I know they have Japanese nationals working as cabin crew for flights to / from Japan , might be the same for Korea. Never done SIN-BCN so I'm unsure if they have crew trained in Spanish.
                I believed there are Spanish-speaking crews on these flights, but SQ probably don't train them as extensive as German-speaking crews.
                SQ used to advertise their German-speaking crews on some commercials featuring flights to/from Germany.

Comment

Yeah they have Korean crew on the ICN legs as well just like for HND.

Comment

I have seen SQ foreign crew on my Guangzhou flight (korean), and a prc crew on my melbourne flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ002 View Post
                      In my memory, all "foreign" crews have name badges that were gold-background as the Singaporean crews have black-background badges. I don't recall seeing any specific crew has "language spoken" indicated on their badge. Were they disappeared a long time ago?
                      That's the ones used on Korea/Japan/China flights where they generally have local (read Korean/Japanese/Chinese) crew members.

The badges I mean are black with the national flag of the foreign language they speak.

Comment

I believed there are Spanish-speaking crews on these flights, but SQ probably don't train them as extensive as German-speaking crews.
                        SQ used to advertise their German-speaking crews on some commercials featuring flights to/from Germany.
                        This would make sense since the majority of passengers on flights to/from Germany are German-speaking based on my observation, rather than visitors to Germany. With the number of weekly flights at 27, (35 if you include ZRH), it's the top language in Europe in terms of flight volume. Other than English-speaking Europe, of course...

Comment

Thanks for posting the thread. I’ve always wanted to discuss something like this. My $0.02 as a huge huge fan of SQ crews.

1. Not in the near future. Like mentioned above, SQ crews are heavily branded as “coming from Singapore,” and recruiting from nearby countries (i.e. China, Thailand, India) wouldn’t deviate much from that image. As much as Singapore’s population getting more and more diverse, I don’t see SQ would recruit CCs from countries outside of Asia.
                          2. IIRC, all SQ’s crews are currently based in SIN. There is no point having a foreign station. An example I know is that for CX’s foreign-based crews, they operated flights together as one group (instead of a mix of HKG crews and foreign crews).

I am going to throw in a question too:
                          On my recent trips between SFO and HKG, I noticed that none of these trips have Chinese-nationality crews anymore. Also, PAs have gone from English & Mandarin to English to machine-Mandarin to now English only. Any thought on why is that? Where are the Chinese crews?
                          I noticed the same thing on SQ1 and SQ2. There were pre-recorded machine Mandarin announcements, at least when the destination is Hong Kong (flying from SFO and from SIN).. If it is from Hong Kong it was all English announcemente only (whether to SFO or to SIN).

Comment

Just my imagination going a little wild, but with more flights to DME now (direct and to ARN), I think they should start looking into getting Russian speaking crew...Also, since the culture is quite different from the rest of continental Europe...what I would LOVE to see is Asian-looking Singapore Girls from Kazakstan...! The best of both worlds, asian looking beauty plus perfect Russian language skills...
                            A long shot, I know, but...

Comment

Working...
                            X