Bangkok Xmas Escapade via Thai LionAir and SQ Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok Xmas Escapade via Thai LionAir and SQ Business

I would be doing a couple of regional trips during the festive year end season and the 1st was to Bangkok for Xmas. Due to the King's passing away recently, the Thai Kingdom has toned down festive celebrations, though shopping and eateries were still operating as normal if you are just into these. The flight up would be on the rather new airline of the Lion-brand, Thai LionAir while return was on Singapore Airlines Business Class.

Checked in at Changi Terminal 3 and although the flight was very full, check-in queue was short. Thai Lion offers 20-30kg of free check-in baggage (depending on when the ticket was bought), free snacks and free online seat selection during online check-in (emex row included!). I had checked in online 24hrs prior and selected the best seats of the house, Emex row at row 18 with lots of legroom and reclinable seat, all at no cost! In fact, the airline's tickets are even cheaper han the usual budget airlines!

With the Pokemon craze in town, Changi was having some Pokemon festive installations at the departure hall.

Went to the T3 SATS Premier Lounge, entry compliments of Priority Pass, to grab some brunch. At that time, the staff were changing the breakfast selection to lunch, and so had a taste of both selections.

Proceeded to Gate A19 for departure.

My past and future travels

My Travel Map

24 December 2016
    Thai Lion Air
    SL 101
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok Don Muang (DMK)
    B737-800
    HS-LUJ
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 2H01M

Boarding already in progress.

View of our aircraft. SL's fleet are all brand new B737s.

The senior crew was at the door welcoming passengers. Note the blue moodlighting of the BSI cabin.

Proceeded to Row 18 and was welcomed by more crew. Nice start to the SL experience. Total of 4 crew on the flight. Overhead bin space was readily available as most pax had checked in their bags.

Wing view

Cabin of this 1yr old B738 is very clean and modern.

Great legroom! Crew also came to brief on the emergency door operations procedures.

Inflight magazine (tribute to the King), BOB menu and safety card.

Offerings on the BOB menu is not as diverse as other budget carriers, but prices are very reasonable. Pre-booking of meals are also available online recently, but unavailable when I booked my ticket earlier.

Pushed back for the 2hr flight to Bangkok. Safety demo was shown manually.

My Travel Map

Comment

Crossing the bridge towards the departure runway.

Passing the structurally-completed Terminal 4.

Video of taxi to runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7Binmr6zM

Departure from Rwy02C.

Video of takeoff from Rwy02C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WPaUkeRBew

It was only almost 20min before the seatbelt signs were switched off and cre released for service. This is probably due to the expected rough weather as we were in the clouds for the initial part of the flight. Crew first came through distributing immigration forms.

Weather cleared subsequenty.

A free light snack was served. Even though it was only a packet of crackers and a cup of water, it was much appreciated still. BOB an duty-free followed thereafter. Service by the Thai Lion crew was friendly and polite.

Visit to the lavatory, which was kept very clean, but only with the basic amenities.

View of the cabin.

Cruising

My Travel Map

Comment

Started descending into Don Muang. Spot Suvanabhumi below.

Landing preparations announcements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA_gyBLWqYY

Approach and landing on Don Muang Rwy21R, more than 10min ahead of schedule.

Video of the landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88DvueM7Ys

Taxi to the parking stand and spotted various DMK-based airlines. We would be parked at the remote stand.

Disembarking.

It was a very pleasant first experience on Thai Lion Air. This new but major player in the Thai market has provided good, comfortable and reliable service (though seated at emex row played a major part in the comfort as the rest of the seats seemed LCC-tight), with simple frills thrown in at budget prices. As it is still a rather young airline, it will take a while to see how succssful it would be. However in the meantime, I would have no problems with flying on Thai Lion Air.

My Travel Map

Comment

View of the aircraft during disembarkation via stairs.

Stayed at Dusit Thani Bangkok in Silom for this trip. This old dame remains as one of the best hotels in Bangkok, offering old-world luxury at affordable prices. To make it sweeter, I was upgraded to a suite!

Dinner at Talad Nam Seafood, in a hidden alley along Silom road. Delicious food at great prices!

Went to Or Tor Kor Market (opposite Chatuchak Mkt) for brunch the next day.

Explored ArtBox Bangkok, a container-styled contemporary night market, which has its location shifted every few months. Currently, it is situated beside Chatchak. It offers some shopping (not too fantastic and mainly geared towards ladies) and excellent creative street food, and a very different atmosphere from other night markets in Bangkok.

My Travel Map

Comment

Visited the nearby vintage-themed JJ Green Night Market as well.

Went for a Japanese buffet feast at Oishi Grand Buffet Restaurant at Siam Paragon. This is a buffet for all die-hard sashimi lovers!

There is actually a Merz-themed cafe at Siam Discovery Center.

After a relaxing massage session, we had a light dinner at Lek Seafood.

This was followed by the sinful yet must try After You Cafe dessert!

More local eats on the last day.

My Travel Map

Comment

Wanton mee

Lunch was at the popular Greyhound cafe, which recently also opened a branch in Singapore. That said, prices in Bangkok are said to be much lower than that of Singapore's. It was also my first visit to this popular jaunt in Bangkok and food was really good, though pricey by Bangkok standards (still very affordable by Singapore standards though).

To Suvanarbhumi Airport for the flight home in SQ Business Class. Check-in was quite with no queues at the Business class counters.

Premium pax were entitled to use the premium lane and a Premium Lane pass was issued together with the boarding pass. This was a godsend at BKK with the winding immigration and security queues at the normal lanes.

Proceeded to the Silver Kris Lounge. It was only a small lounge with minimal facilities, but with a very good quality buffet selection.

My Travel Map

Comment

Grabbed some light bites and desserts.

27 December 2016
                Singapore Airlines
                SQ 979
                Bangkok (BKK) - Singapore (SIN)
                A330-300
                9V-STD
                Business Class
                Flight Time: 2H06M

It was a short walk to the gate, where the Airbus A330 was still being prepped for departure.

Priority boarding was called and it seemed that 25% of the passengers were Business or PPS. Boarding through Door 1 and was welcomed by the Inflight Supervisor. Just a few steps to my seat at 12A. A blanket and pillow were already placed on each seat. As SQ's Regional Business Class seat has been reviewed countless times, I shall not elaborate too much on the seat itself.

Christmas decor in the cabin.

Noise-cancellation headphones.

Inflight magazine, IFE guide and Krisshop mag. A selection of newspapers and magazines were also offered by the crew.

Welcome drinks and hot towels were offered. I chose the featured mix Royal Sparkle.

The menu has a holiday-themed cover.

My Travel Map

Comment

Lets take a look at the menu:

BKK-SIN sector (SQ979)

SIN-BKK sector (SQ976)

The whole range of beverages

Boarding was completed rather swiftly considering the very full flight this evening and doors were closed. Pushed back and safety video played.

A rather lengthy taxi to Rwy01R with aircraft departing ahead, and we took off about slightly behind schedule for the 2hr flight to Singapore.

Video of the departure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo1GGqQCipY

My Travel Map

Comment

Into the night sky

Started on the movie "9 Lives", which is short enough to view on this flight.

Dinner service started immediately after seatbelt signs were turned off. The IFS, a Leading Steward and a stewardess were conducting the service in the Business cabin. The only meal cart went down the right aisle first, followed by the left.

Meal cart coming down the aisle.

Due to the short flight, the Light Dinner would be a one-tray affair, with starter, main and dessert all on the tray. Luckily, my choice of the salmon was still available as it was a very populr choice. Had a Sauvignon Blanc to go with the meal.

Starter of Marinated Thai Style Prawn with spicy green papaya salad. The prawns were very fresh and plump.

Assorted breads were offered, where I chose a garlic bread and a lavosh.

For the main, I had the Salmon Dad-Diaw with Jaew Sauce - Thai style deep fried marinted salmon, sauteed vegetables and egg fried rice. As expected from BKK catering, this was a very tasty dish and portion was large as well.

Ending with a Moist Chocolate Cake with berry compote. The cake was rich and satisfying.

Rounding up the meal with a special festive tea, TWG Red Christmas Tea.

Slightly more than halfway through the flight after meal trays were cleared.

My Travel Map

Comment

Visit to the lavatory, which is equipped with the usual Business Class amenities.

A pair of empty seats at the rear.

View of the cabin.

Got a pack of A350 playing cards from the nice crew. The crew serving in Business Class were all professional and efficient, attending to all requests promptly, keepng up with the high SQ standards.

Started a bit on a Taiwanese movie "Cafe No.6", which I would continue viewing on my next flight.

Descending into Singapore with cabin dimmed. I switched to the flight map.

Video of descend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMHR6YJ_noM

City skyline during the approach to Changi.

Landing on Singapore Changi Rwy02L right on schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2okM6iRBNQ

Only a short taxi to our gate at Terminal 3 and parked beside one of SQ's whale.

This was my shortest ever flight in SQ Business Class and the high standards and offerings remained. The seats are perfectly fine for the short duration of flight and both catering and service are top-notch. A very pleasant way to fly regionally indeed!

Hope you have enjoyed this report and all comments are welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Great TR ycp81! I love the JJ Green market as I find it has a really nice vibe and good eateries...
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Great TR, ycp81! Need to think about having a break in BKK.

Comment

Working...
                          X