KE flight delayed by CEO's daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Air executive apologizes after nuts incident sparks national outrage

I find this amusing: "Local sales of macadamia nuts reportedly surged in the days following news of the incident."

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
      She was head of cabin crew apparently.
      I wonder if, at any time during her time as cabin crew, if she ever had one, she had been chastised for any "wrongdoing".

Comment

Korean Air chief steward in nut row says insulted, forced to kneel

Apparently, Heather Cho swore at the poor IFS, who knelt before her. According to the story, he dared not defy the Chairman's daughter.
        Last edited by SQ22; 14 December 2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

One thing that can be said for Heather is that she hasn't followed her fellow countrywomens' penchant for cosmetic enhancement surgery (no matter how badly she needs it)...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            One thing that can be said for Heather is that she hasn't followed her fellow countrywomens' penchant for cosmetic enhancement surgery (no matter how badly she needs it)...
            Are you really that sure? After all, her husband is a famous cosmetic surgeon...

Comment

She has finally been arrested...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-30636204

They are also allegedly investigating an attempted cover-up of some sort.

Comment

She's got a year in jail.....

A South Korean court has found a former executive of national airline Korean Air guilty of breaking aviation law over the "nut rage" case.

Heather Cho, also known as Hyun-ah, was jailed for one year, avoiding a possible maximum sentence of 10 years.

Cho had forced her Seoul-bound plane to turn back to the gate and offload a steward because she did not like the way she had been served nuts.

The case garnered global interest and caused an uproar in South Korea.

Cho, who was a vice-president with the airline, was found guilty of obstructing aviation safety.

'Private plane'

Her plane was taxiing at New York's JFK Airport on 5 December when witnesses say she became angry after being served macadamia nuts she did not ask for and which were still in a bag and not in a bowl.

She ordered the plane to return to the gate and offload the chief steward.

"This is a case where human dignity was trampled upon," Judge Oh Sung-woo said on Thursday.

Korean Air Lines Chairman Cho Yang-ho arrives to testify at the second court hearing of his daughter Cho Hyun-ah, also known as Heather Cho, at the Seoul Western District court in Seoul January 30, 2015. Cho is the daughter of the chairman of Korean Air (pictured) which sparked a debate over family run businesses
                Cho had treated the flight "as if it was her own private plane", Judge Oh added. "It is doubtful that the way the nuts were served was so wrong."

The judge said Cho has failed to show enough remorse even after she submitted letters to the court apologising for the incident.

Prosecutors had asked for a sentence of three years in prison on charges of breaking aviation law, assault and interfering in an investigation.

Witnesses testified during the trial that Cho struck a crewmember with the service manual.

Chaebol domination

Her defence team argued that aviation safety had not been violated as the plane was still being pushed by a truck away from the gate.

However, the judge rejected that argument saying the plane was classed as "in flight" and she interfered, correspondents say.

Cho, who is the daughter of the chairman of Korean Air, publicly apologised for the incident and resigned from all her posts at the airline in December.

The trial has opened a national debate about the Korean business system, which is dominated by family firms known as chaebols.

Some of the families running these businesses have been accused of high-handedness and acting with impunity.
                http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-31433736

Comment

What a nut... case.

Ooh, I've been waiting to use that...

Comment

Just realised that there is now a Wikipedia page for this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nut_rage_incident

Comment

If she reacted like that to the Nuts being served differently I wonder how she will have taken Daddy's shipping company going into receivership last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37227560

On a serious note this is quite a shock as even though they were struggling I didn't think they would be allowed to go under due to their size. I know the Korean yards are also seriously struggling so you wonder how far this could go.

Comment

If she reacted like that to the Nuts being served differently I wonder how she will have taken Daddy's shipping company going into receivership last week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37227560

On a serious note this is quite a shock as even though they were struggling I didn't think they would be allowed to go under due to their size. I know the Korean yards are also seriously struggling so you wonder how far this could go.
                        Can't really see any form of light at the end of the tunnel... Specifically for the O&G sector, initially people were saying there will be some form of recovery by the end of this year.. This went on to mid-2017, and now even the optimist are saying 2018 if we are lucky...
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Hanjin Shipping has for a long time been viewed as a sinking ship. And Korean Air is also saddled with debt.

As a whole, the Hanjin Group has one of the highest debt ratios of Korean conglomerates. One in three affiliate companies of the Hanjin Group are "zombie companies" — companies which do not make sufficient profit to pay down the principal on their debt or face capital encroachment.

"Korean Air, also has a debt ratio exceeding 1,100 percent, with its liabilities rising from 20.7 trillion won ($18.7 billion) to 21.4 trillion won partly as a result of its financial support of the ailing shipping affiliate. The flag carrier airline is the largest shareholder of Hanjin Shipping."

Source: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160906000764

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                            Can't really see any form of light at the end of the tunnel... Specifically for the O&G sector, initially people were saying there will be some form of recovery by the end of this year.. This went on to mid-2017, and now even the optimist are saying 2018 if we are lucky...
                            Speaking to people at SMM last week it seems only Cruise Ships giving any joy to most new build equipment makers at the moment, save for the recent Ballast Water news.

Comment

Speaking to people at SMM last week it seems only Cruise Ships giving any joy to most new build equipment makers at the moment, save for the recent Ballast Water news.
                              Going a bit OT here, but how was the crowd at SMM? Was thinking of heading up but after a really disappointing OTC earlier this year, I figured it would not have been worth the trip.
                              God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
                                Going a bit OT here, but how was the crowd at SMM? Was thinking of heading up but after a really disappointing OTC earlier this year, I figured it would not have been worth the trip.
                                SMM was exactly as it usually is, everyone is there at some point and you're knackered at the end of the week. It's a hard/heavy week...

The show is a monster nowadays and probably too big. So many of our suppliers are there I spend a couple of days catching up with them. It's great for us as you don't spend much time visiting suppliers, you concentrate on customers. As I said many were complaining that things aren't great at the moment, especially those linked to O&G like OSV's etc, but cruise is booming.

Comment

Working...
                                X