Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans Tasman routes to become "domestic": Australia and NZ explores common border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans Tasman routes to become "domestic": Australia and NZ explores common border

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0221-8e6r.html

TRANS-TASMAN flights are set to be reclassified as domestic routes, removing stringent immigration procedures and cutting fares by up to 30 per cent.

After two years of discussions, Australian and New Zealand Customs are planning trials to clear passengers before they board flights between the countries.

An Open Skies bilateral air services agreement is already in place, easing the rules for carriers flying between the two countries. But quarantine, security and immigration issues have to be addressed to make the route a common border.

The trials will look at creating a clearance system similar to those used for passengers travelling from Canada into the United States and in Europe across European Union countries. Once they are cleared at their point of origin passengers enter any port as a domestic visitor.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

When does this kick in?

Comment

I'm wondering how this will reduce fares by up to 30%... lower airport taxes? the distance from point A to B isn't any closer
      matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Oh yes please! Bring it on... 30% off some of the already low DJ fares could end up with return tickets going at $150 AUD.

Maybe it'd bring more NZ routes too?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          Oh yes please! Bring it on... 30% off some of the already low DJ fares could end up with return tickets going at $150 AUD.

Maybe it'd bring more NZ routes too?
          Some return tickets (ex-NZ) have been that low already
          Domestic flights are much cheaper to operate, and not just because of taxes.

The Australian media seems to be talking the prospect up, and the NZ media talking it down (several years away according to some articles). This is odd - normally it is the other way around when this subject comes up (as it does every year).

Comment

Seems like there's more of a momentum this time around:

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...0815-elsp.html

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and NZ Prime Minister John Key will this Thursday announce new efforts to streamline trans-Tasman travel, potentially scrapping departure taxes, duplication of quarantine, customs and security checks and allowing planes to land at domestic terminals.

The plan, strongly backed by the airline and tourist sectors, could cut fares on the super-competitive trans-Tasman leg by as much as 30 per cent, provided the two countries can thrash out quarantine, security, biosecurity and logistical problems.

It follows talks between Mr Rudd and Mr Key in March when the two leaders said they were working towards an agreement within a year. ''We've decided rather than just have it languish in never-never land, to bring it into decision-making territory,'' Mr Rudd said.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I'll believe it when I see it. It has been talked about for years (at least as long as I've been flying).

As for 30% fare reductions I'll believe that when I see pigs fly. Fares incl taxes are already dirt cheap (eg NZD200 return).

Comment

Working...
              X