Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Special Meal Request on economY SQ (Seafood Meal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QUOTE=Kyo;181132]Still not sure if I'd want a bland meal just to try a poached egg in Y for brekkie [/QUOTE]

.. then go for UCDEM

This meal contains easily digestible, plain, poached and broiled foods."

Comment

Originally posted by BerryFusion View Post
      Hi all!

I like to try all sorts of special meals on flights
      Here are some pictures of the Hindu Non-Vegetarian Meal (HNML) I had on the flight from SIN-ZRH. Was spicy and absolutely delicious!

DINNER

I've uploaded pictures of the AVML to the vegetarian thread. That one was really good as well
      your non-veg hindu meal looks much better than mine.....
      visit my blog

Comment

What I can't get my head around is why SQ offers a "Seafood only" meal but no "Seafood free" meal. Many people do not like seafood and fish and some are also anaphylatic to many forms of seafood. (But then SQ's love of tossing around peanuts only 20 min into a long haul flight suggests they have little concern about anaphylaxis! But maybe the number of compulsory anaphylaxis training sessions work forces me to sit through has left me bitter and twisted )

So very often, one of the two meal options in Y is a fish offering. And on many such occasions, the last section of the plane to be served gets all the fish that the rest of the cabin didn't want, which leads me also to wonder why they get the balance of the two options so wrong, unless the catering companies operate on a '50/50 only' basis.

I'm not a vegetarian and I eat practically everything but NOT fish and seafood. I know many other who are the same. I've been relegated to the fish option enough times to make me contemplate ordering vegetarian, but even though I love vegetables and am quite partial to tofu, I really don't want to potentially consign myself to tofu when so many of the SQ Y meals really are excellent for economy plane food.

Is it acceptable passenger etiquette to catch a passing flight crew member after menu distribution and let them know in advance that you can't eat the fish option? I know I could just demand, but I respect the tough job FAs have making everyone happy and try to be a pleasant passenger.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
          What I can't get my head around is why SQ offers a "Seafood only" meal but no "Seafood free" meal. Many people do not like seafood and fish and some are also anaphylatic to many forms of seafood. (But then SQ's love of tossing around peanuts only 20 min into a long haul flight suggests they have little concern about anaphylaxis! But maybe the number of compulsory anaphylaxis training sessions work forces me to sit through has left me bitter and twisted )

So very often, one of the two meal options in Y is a fish offering. And on many such occasions, the last section of the plane to be served gets all the fish that the rest of the cabin didn't want, which leads me also to wonder why they get the balance of the two options so wrong, unless the catering companies operate on a '50/50 only' basis.

I'm not a vegetarian and I eat practically everything but NOT fish and seafood. I know many other who are the same. I've been relegated to the fish option enough times to make me contemplate ordering vegetarian, but even though I love vegetables and am quite partial to tofu, I really don't want to potentially consign myself to tofu when so many of the SQ Y meals really are excellent for economy plane food.

Is it acceptable passenger etiquette to catch a passing flight crew member after menu distribution and let them know in advance that you can't eat the fish option? I know I could just demand, but I respect the tough job FAs have making everyone happy and try to be a pleasant passenger.
          SQ228, for normal meals, SQ usually serves one non-seafood mains option, no? The seafood is usually in the appetizer e.g. smoke salmon.
          Last edited by CarbonMan; 21 July 2014, 04:45 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post

I think that this is acceptable. I also respect the FAs and feel ashamed asking but it doesn't hurt to ask and inform, politely,...especially if you have a 10-12 hour flight ahead of you.

Really admire your thoughtfulness. Much better than this screaming and insistent rude passengers on board..

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
              SQ228, for normal meals, SQ usually serves one non-seafood mains option, no? The seafood is usually in the appetizer e.g. smoke salmon.
              Yes, they always have one non-fish mains option, but all too often the only option left for the last section of the cabin is the fish option because the other one runs out. I long for the day when I hear someone being told that the fish has run out and only the other one is left.

Yes, seafood is often in the appetiser. This means that if all that's left when they get to me is a fish option for mains, then I cant eat either the main or the appetiser.

I've had some really great crew experiences though. One offered once to try to rescue the chicken mains from someone who decided against eating. Sure enough they found one further up the cabin, untouched and sealed in foil where the passenger had lost their appetite. Much nicer than the QF response- slapping a chilled sandwich down on the tray and making a huge sigh then turning away. And they wonder why Australians don't fly QF anymore...

Comment

SQ 176 SIN-HAN, lunch SFML. Portion could be further improved.

Possibly cost cutting measures were in place, they do not even serve entree !! :@:@:@:@

Noticed an empty tray ? When asked, cabin crew said that tray was to be used for eating ice cream which would be served later.

The type of of ice cream served was decent. Considering their competitor, Cathay serves Hagen Daz, it was disappointing though.

Comment

Originally posted by augmentin8 View Post

Possibly cost cutting measures were in place, they do not even serve entree !! :@:@:@:@
                  Low yields, minimal competition = minimal catering budget. I have learnt not to expect consistency in catering on SQ, especially in economy. They will try to reduce catering offerings in Y nowadays whenever possible, especially to low-yielding destinations such as Vietnam, Philippines, South Africa etc. Muffins were recently removed from breakfast trays on long-haul flights and cheese/crackers or Chinese snacks on some regional flights.

Noticed an empty tray ? When asked, cabin crew said that tray was to be used for eating ice cream which would be served later.
                  I also had an empty side dish on my meal tray on the flight to JNB recently. Only difference was that it was used to serve air...
                  Last edited by ycp81; 25 December 2014, 06:53 PM.
                  My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                    Low yields, minimal competition = minimal catering budget. I have learnt not to expect consistency in catering on SQ, especially in economy. They will try to reduce catering offerings in Y nowadays whenever possible, especially to low-yielding destinations such as Vietnam, Philippines, South Africa etc. Muffins were recently removed from breakfast trays on long-haul flights and cheese/crackers or Chinese snacks on some regional flights.

I also had an empty side dish on my meal tray on the flight to JNB recently. Only difference was that it was used to serve air...
                    I remember when they used to have appetisers in Y for regional routes...

Comment

I have requested for Seafood Meals on my March SQ184/SQ183 flights. I will report back on what I receive. Not very optimistic though.

Comment

Sorry for this very late reply. The following is what I had on my recent SQ flights.

SQ184 on 25 Mar 2015:

Seafood Meal - Fish fillet with noodles. Very hard and had the distinct taste of processed food.

SQ183 on 27 Mar 2015:

Seafood Meal - Seafood balls and shrimp with pasta. This was much much better than the outbound dish. The shrimp was very fresh. I loved it.

SQ185 on 21 Apr 2015:

Standard Meal - Fish fillet with pasta. Very good. The Caucasian lady beside me loved it too. This wasn't a Seafood Meal but I thought I'd share for comparison.
                        Last edited by SQ22; 26 May 2015, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X