Fillet Steak in Y - SQ616 SIN-KIX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fillet Steak in Y - SQ616 SIN-KIX

Had what I thought was a remarkable Y meal on SQ616 to Osaka yesterday.

It has been a while since I have been served a proper steak in Y. Usually it is slices or chunks of beef. Not on this sector though. This is a proper beef fillet, done Japanese style, a creation of Culinary Panel chef Yoshihiro Murata, of Kikunoi, Kyoto.

Cooked to a medium/well, but astonishingly tender.

This is the overall meal tray (This is different meal tray, hence the slight difference in how the steak looks.)

Potato salad starter...

Cold soba...

Ice cream for dessert.

One of the best Y meals I have had in a long while.
    Last edited by yflyer; 21 July 2020, 10:47 AM.

Very generous to have a whole chunk of meat like that - but from my perspective, that is far far far too overcooked.

I understand the need for killing germs etc and all on airplane meals etc. but I like my meat a little more "ang ang"

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Very generous to have a whole chunk of meat like that - but from my perspective, that is far far far too overcooked.

I understand the need for killing germs etc and all on airplane meals etc. but I like my meat a little more "ang ang"
      Hi SQflyergirl! Yes, I prefer my steaks either rare or medium rare too.

On SQ in J, I've had steaks nice and pink inside.

That said for a Y meal, medium/well is probably the only way this dish can feasibly be served, as I suspect quite a few folks in our part of the world seem to like their meat well cooked, and will not eat anything that is red inside. It was very tender, though.

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
        as I suspect quite a few folks in our part of the world seem to like their meat well cooked, and will not eat anything that is red inside.
        That much is true Their loss though!

Comment

I really hope they will serve the same thing on my HND flight this weekend!

Comment

Always interesting to note that on the Jap flights, the Japanese tray will get the additional soba noodles while the International tray gets nothing and will look pretty bare(no more cheese and crackers). Moral of the story, always go for the Jap selection on Jap sectors.
            Last edited by ycp81; 30 November 2015, 09:20 PM.
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

That much is true Their loss though!
              I refuse to bring my parents/relatives/whoever that can't take their meat "ang ang" to any steakhouse when they visit Such a waste of good meat when it's overcooked

Comment

I prefer my steak on the pink side. However for a Y meal I will still take it!

Comment

Originally posted by calvinoeh View Post
                  I refuse to bring my parents/relatives/whoever that can't take their meat "ang ang" to any steakhouse when they visit Such a waste of good meat when it's overcooked
                  Well - that's exactly what happens when you overcook any piece of meat. The differentiation between them narrows the more you heat it.

Go far enough, at a certain point (without even having reached the "cinder blocks" level) - they'll taste the same and have the same texture.

Should that be one's preference: I've got a tip: No need to buy F class cut. Just buy a Y class cut and fire it to death and you'll save money.

Comment

Should that be one's preference: I've got a tip: No need to buy F class cut. Just buy a Y class cut and fire it to death and you'll save money.
                    LOL. Or have them order chicken/fish

Comment

long time no see..... This is a rarity on SQ flights now. Also a rarity: haagen dasz ice cream.
                      I've been to ANA recently and the food was really surprisingly good. I've been using SQ all the time for long haul flights (for a long time - at least from 1990s) until that moment I stepped into ANA metal.

Comment

That looks amazing for a Y meal.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                          Always interesting to note that on the Jap flights, the Japanese tray will get the additional soba noodles while the International tray gets nothing and will look pretty bare(no more cheese and crackers). Moral of the story, always go for the Jap selection on Jap sectors.
                          Wise words to live by.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                            I really hope they will serve the same thing on my HND flight this weekend!
                            On vacation or work? Recently discovered the delights of Osaka myself...great city to explore on foot, and amazing food in the street markets (And also in convenence stores!)...

Hope you got to try the steak!

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                              I prefer my steak on the pink side. However for a Y meal I will still take it!
                              Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                              That looks amazing for a Y meal.
                              Steak in Y is so rare these days, if I ever see it on the menu, I will just order it out of curiousity to see how it turns out.

Ignoring the tray, and just looking at the casserole, f you compare this SQ Y steak with what BA offers as a J main on SIN-LHR or LHR-YYZ, the SQ Y meal doesn't fare too badly

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13726#12

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...3726&page=3#32

Comment

Working...
                              X