Which airline's rules to follow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which airline's rules to follow?

Does anyone know which airline's rules (regarding luggage limits) one should follow if a PNR involves flights from CX and AC in that order (Asia to Canada)? How does one also earn FF points in such a such a situation, as AC would not accept the OW FFP used for the CX sector. Confused :S :S

Originally posted by EWR View Post
    Does anyone know which airline's rules (regarding luggage limits) one should follow if a PNR involves flights from CX and AC in that order (Asia to Canada)? How does one also earn FF points in such a such a situation, as AC would not accept the OW FFP used for the CX sector. Confused :S :S
    You'd get a more accurate answer if you share your routing with us

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
      You'd get a more accurate answer if you share your routing with us
      Hi the route is SIN-HKG-YVR. The first sector may be UA or CX, but the second sector is AC. Thanks.

Comment

Ok. Feeling brave enough to comment on this query, so pls be merciful if I got it wrong.

EWR, if you purchase the ticket online, I will assume it is AC that gives you this combination of ticketing option. If so, then the Sin - Hkg sector will be AC code share but on either CX or UA metal.

Your luggage limit rules will be the standard North America piece concept of 2 luggage for Y class. If you have FFP status then you get more allowance. Likewise if you travel higher class. However, if you are on OW, then CX will honor your luggage to HK but it will be up to AC to decide if they will charge extra for the second leg. AC was kind enough to me when I did YVR - NRT - SIN with first leg on Y with AC and SQ on C on the second leg. I had 3 pieces of luggage and they gave me priority tag all through to SIN.

The other point to note is whether HK is a transit point or will you break journey over 24 hours there? For the latter case, then Sin - Hkg sector luggage will be dependent on the sector's carrier rule.

Hope that I got it right.
        there's nothing more rewarding than flying for free, is there??

Comment

For luggage on US interline itineraries, the DOT exception to IATA Resolution 302 will apply and you follow the Most Significant marketing Carrier's allowance. This is normally the first transcontinental/long haul marketing carrier, and your allowance will be consistent throughout your entire itinerary if all sectors are booked on the 1 ticket. Very different to Resolution 302 that the rest of the world follows which looks at Most Significant operating Carrier and which only applies between origin and stopover point. With your itinerary, assuming you're on a flight that's marketed by AC between HKG and YVR (even if it's a codeshare operated by another airline), AC is the MSC.

Additional allowance for elite FFs may not apply if the interline carrier does not have a reciprocal FFP agreement with the MSC, but it depends on how the MSC has filed the baggage allowance and a lot of the times this will result in the additional FFP allowance honoured the interline carrier. The allowance will show up on your ticket.

The rules of the FFP you're using will apply with regard to earn. You can actually insert a different FFN for each carrier. You'd normally have to phone up to do this.
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 14 January 2015, 12:33 PM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
            For luggage on US interline itineraries, the DOT exception to IATA Resolution 302 will apply and you follow the Most Significant marketing Carrier's allowance. This is normally the first transcontinental/long haul marketing carrier, and your allowance will be consistent throughout your entire itinerary if all sectors are booked on the 1 ticket. Very different to Resolution 302 that the rest of the world follows which looks at Most Significant operating Carrier and which only applies between origin and stopover point. With your itinerary, assuming you're on a flight that's marketed by AC between HKG and YVR (even if it's a codeshare operated by another airline), AC is the MSC.

Additional allowance for elite FFs may not apply if the interline carrier does not have a reciprocal FFP agreement with the MSC, but it depends on how the MSC has filed the baggage allowance and a lot of the times this will result in the additional FFP allowance honoured the interline carrier. The allowance will show up on your ticket.

The rules of the FFP you're using will apply with regard to earn. You can actually insert a different FFN for each carrier. You'd normally have to phone up to do this.
            I don't think the OP's routing touches the USA, so DOT rules wouldn't apply. There might be some equivalent Canadian regulation.

To attempt to answer another question in the OP, AC is in *A and CX in oneworld, so you normally would try to credit different segments to programs in different alliances. This might require you to attempt to change the FF number during your trip (which can have repercussions based on your *A versus oneworld elite status privileges) or retroclaim the miles.

Personally, I would try to avoid using multiple alliances during a trip as it can be a mess when things go wrong, such as cancellations, schedule changes or MX/WX delays, although having a single PNR protest you somewhat.

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
              I don't think the OP's routing touches the USA, so DOT rules wouldn't apply. There might be some equivalent Canadian regulation.
              Crap, sorry OP! For some reason I'd mentally placed YVR in the wrong country.

Doesn't make much difference for the OP fortunately. The baggage allowance of the carrier operating HKG-YVR is the one that would apply (so AC).

AC confirms that they've adopted Resolution 302:
              For all other itineraries: As per IATA Resolution 302 (Most Significant Carrier rule), if the most significant carrier of your journey is Air Canada, Air Canada rouge or Air Canada Express, the baggage rules and charges of Air Canada will apply. If the most significant carrier is another airline, different baggage rules and charges may apply.
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Doesn't make much difference for the OP fortunately. The baggage allowance of the carrier operating HKG-YVR is the one that would apply (so AC).

I am happy to report that 2x23 kg is given for both sectors. This is shown up clearly in the eticket.

However. as anticipated by posters here, I'm having a bit of trouble adding the correct FFPs. The flight is on Monday, and it's already the weekend! CX Check in only allows me OW FFP entries

Comment

I would assume that the HKG-YVR flight is operated by CX. I know CX has a nonstop flight on this route. Continuing to another location in Canada would require a flight operated by AC (or WestJet, which is a sort of LCC that has some sort of new bilateral agreement with DL).

BTW, it's usually safe to assume that an airport code starts with a Y if and only if the airport is located in Canada. I can't think of any exceptions. [YVR, YUL, YEG, etc.]

Comment

Originally posted by MSPeconomist View Post
                    I would assume that the HKG-YVR flight is operated by CX. I know CX has a nonstop flight on this route. Continuing to another location in Canada would require a flight operated by AC (or WestJet, which is a sort of LCC that has some sort of new bilateral agreement with DL).

BTW, it's usually safe to assume that an airport code starts with a Y if and only if the airport is located in Canada. I can't think of any exceptions. [YVR, YUL, YEG, etc.]
                    The HKG-YVR sector is operated by AC. I have received miles separately for the CX and AC sectors. It's a little confusing at first, and the airport agent gave the wrong information initially too, but as long as one does online check in for the second leg (even after having checked in for both legs with CX), the miles will be credited correctly.

Comment

I am booking another ticket to fly from Canada to Singapore, with AC as the first metal (SQ codeshare) and SQ as the second, longer leg, via FRA.

I wonder whose baggage allowance to follow. Singapore Airlines seems to only permit 30 kg on the weight concept (i.e. not U.S., not Brazil). However, AC is the first operating airline. The worst case is AC only allows 1 bag x 23 kg!

Comment

I just called SQ and AC separately - but got no definitive answer.

SQ said follow AC's rules. AC said said follow AC's rule for the first leg, and SQ's for the second.

If I just go with AC rules, is my destination, for baggage purposes, considered FRA (which is really just the connecting airport) or SIN?

Comment

Working...
                        X