Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for the APEC Card

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
    Yes, that's a good idea indeed, Wan1dap. I know of it but I need to get it done in my home country .... a little bit of a hassle. I don't do much travel within Asia, so apart from the US, I won't have much use of it, hence the reluctance of taking the trouble of applying for it.

I need to find out if it can be done through the post.
    AFAIK, APEC card applications within Malaysia are exceedingly troublesome. Apparently, you need to get a sponsor of some sort. Let me know if its otherwise, as my boss would be very interested then.

He has been b*tching for the longest time ever that I have the APEC while he couldn't get it
    Life's A Bitch,
    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

How to apply for an APEC Business Travel Card - Malaysians

Did some research on the procedures involved in the application of the APEC card for Malaysians.

Here are the requirements for both Malaysians residing in and out of the country:

Required Documents for APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC)

i. Applicant working in Malaysia

APEC Business Travel Card Application Form
    A copy of Malaysian Passport (more than 3 years validity) full pages.
    Letter from employer in support of the application for APEC Business Travel Card basically it should mention applicant’s name, passport no, position why the need for the card, how often applicant is required to travel to the countries in the Asia Pacific region, support by employer to apply for this card & explaining company activities.
    A supporting letter from any trade association or any chambers of commerce at national level.
    Latest print out Companies Commission of Malaysia (Corporate Information)
    One (1) recent photograph with light blue background in the size of 3.5 X 5 cm.
    * Companies with Trading and Enterprise status are not qualified for the application of APEC Card.

ii. Applicant working abroad

APEC Business Travel Card Application Form
    A copy of Malaysian Passport (more than 3 years validity) full pages.
    Copy of working permit/permanent resident status.
    Letter from employer in support of the application for APEC Business Travel Card basically it should mention applicant’s name, passport no, position why the need for the card, how often applicant is required to travel to the countries in the Asia Pacific region, support by employer to apply for this card & explaining company activities.
    Company Registration Certificate
    One (1) recent photograph with light blue background in the size of 3.5 X 5 cm.

For the full read-up on the process of application go to the APEC Immigration Site

Go to this site to download this Application Form.

Take a few deep breaths, pop a couple of tylenol and hope that the process will be quick and painless.

Comment

Wow that's complicated. In NZ we just fill in a form and give a list of countries we travel to plus a copy of the passport. Takes about three months for all countries to agree that you're not a international drug smuggler...

Comment

My home country is Singapore but based in Hong Kong now.

Completed my application online, just needed to scan a company supporting letter and passport. After that waited 2 months, got the interim card and another month later, was informed that all countries had approved the application. (Forgot to add, the card was then registered mail to my Hong Kong address)

The APEC card works like a wonder for me! I have to shuttle between Hong Kong and Shenzhen almost everyday and with the card, I beat the long Foreigners Q at the Chinese Immigration.
        Last edited by jjteo; 15 December 2011, 04:40 PM. Reason: left out a comment...

Comment

Originally posted by jjteo View Post
          My home country is Singapore but based in Hong Kong now.

Completed my application online, just needed to scan a company supporting letter and passport. After that waited 2 months, got the interim card and another month later, was informed that all countries had approved the application. (Forgot to add, the card was then registered mail to my Hong Kong address)

The APEC card works like a wonder for me! I have to shuttle between Hong Kong and Shenzhen almost everyday and with the card, I beat the long Foreigners Q at the Chinese Immigration.
          My personal experience differs greatly from yours! The first time I applied for APEC card in 2007, I have to wait for 6 months before I got the final card. In late Apr this year, I submitted my renewal application but didn't get any reply till I called to ask for an interim card in August as just a couple of the countries had not approved my application yet. As of now, I am still waiting for my final card as it seems that our immediate neighbour down south has yet to respond. Not that I mind though, as the regulations states that the validity of the card is 3 years from the date of the final card!

Comment

i have a question here, what if i am the owner of the company, what documents should i submit coz we cannot issue the employment letter to ourself right ??

Comment

Originally posted by sirgoldencircle View Post
              i have a question here, what if i am the owner of the company, what documents should i submit coz we cannot issue the employment letter to ourself right ??
              If you're based in Singapore, and you have a staffer who is at managerial level, it should work.
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

erm...still a bit confuse coz my company base in msia, branch in sg....what else document should i need? company registration info and cert to prove i am the owner of the company ??

Comment

I wouldn't worry about it in that much detail...... get a letter done on company letterhead advising how much you need to travel etc. and sign it. If they immigration guys have questions likely they will ask for a copy/scan of your passport only to prove the travel you do.

I'm having that issue with the guys in HK at the moment since my company is a SG one.

Comment

Am planning to do this after I come back from major travel end-Jan (will be grounded for two weeks), but I'll have I think 3, possibly 2, pages left in my current passport. This passport will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how much weekly APEC travel I have, but 2-3 pages won't last long before I have to change the passport.

What happens then? Re-apply with the new passport (surely not)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      Am planning to do this after I come back from major travel end-Jan (will be grounded for two weeks), but I'll have I think 3, possibly 2, pages left in my current passport. This passport will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how much weekly APEC travel I have, but 2-3 pages won't last long before I have to change the passport.

What happens then? Re-apply with the new passport (surely not)?
                      The APEC card is valid for 3 years or till your passport expires, whichever is earlier. Hence, if you are replacing your passport soon, you will be required to re-apply for the APEC card. However, you can apply first using your current passport number as it takes several months to process and in the meantime, apply for a new passport which will take 1-2 weeks. Thereafter, just drop them an email of your new passport number to update into your APEC application.

Comment

Kyo, if i were you i'd sort out the new passport first since i think here it happens quite quickly.....forget the 2-3pages. Can you do an application here and still hold onto to your current passport until you get the new one, I know I can do that with a UK one.

From there you would still have time to submit your APEC application with new passport number and be able to pick up the card 2-3months later.

Comment

I wouldn't mind to apply with the new passport, but I have to surrender the old one when I renew (okay, I can do that when I'm grounded). But what about the 'proof' they need from the previous passport that's seen the heavy use? How will they get to see that? Or is a company letter sufficient?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            I wouldn't mind to apply with the new passport, but I have to surrender the old one when I renew (okay, I can do that when I'm grounded). But what about the 'proof' they need from the previous passport that's seen the heavy use? How will they get to see that? Or is a company letter sufficient?
                            You don't surrender your old passport, Kyo. You should get it back with part of it clipped off. Isn't this normal practice in all countries? For M'sia and S'pore, that's how it's done.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                              You don't surrender your old passport, Kyo. You should get it back with part of it clipped off. Isn't this normal practice in all countries? For M'sia and S'pore, that's how it's done.
                              Have to point out that I'm neither M'sian or S'porean. I had to surrender my passport at the embassy the last time around for a few days...

Comment

Working...
                              X