Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIN -> MXP

Calling on Milan experts,

I would be arriving in LIN at 2145. My flight leaves the next morning from MXP at 1115.

I think I might be too late to catch the LIN to MXP shuttle that night. My options are:
    1. Stay in LIN airport hotel. Catch the bus shuttle next morning to MXP.
    2. Stay in central Milan hotel. Catch train/bus shuttle next morning to MXP.

Homework that I've done so far:
    1. Earliest shuttle Crowne Plaza Linate to LIN is 0630.
    2. MXP shuttle from LIN (http://ticketonline.malpensashuttle.it/pagine/orari.cfm). Are there any other shuttle companies? Would I be able to catch the 0700 shuttle if I leave Crowne Plaza at 0630?
    3. What other cheap and cheerful airport hotels in LIN could I consider?
    4. What C&C hotels in central Milan offer easy access to MXP (train/shuttle)?

Expert(s), please advise! Thanks!!!

Hello,
    I think the best option is to stay in the downtown. I have no real clues about hotel suggestion but i know a few FTers have been at Hotel Lancaster (sailaway75 and SQFan maybe) whose rates should be interesting.
    Otherwise, depending on your budget you can consider other hotels, such as Le MEridien, located in the main railways station square (smtgh around 110EUR for 1 person during w/e).

If you stay in the downtown then you have two main options to get to MXP:
    1) coach (we call it shuttle) from main railways station (runs every 20 mins - it takes around 50 mins / 1hr dependin on traffic jam)
    2) train ("Malpensa Express) from Milano cadorna station (runs every 30 mins - it takes around 40 mins).

about your questions:
    3) LIN is basically very close to city center and taxi ride is pretty cheap (15 eur more or less). You can also use the public bus (#73 - ticket : 1eur) which is very popular and safe at 9-10pm. using it, you can get in the downtown in about 15 mins and it runs every 8-15 mins).
    4) what is C&C?

Please let me know if i can help.
    Luke
    There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
    If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
      3. What other cheap and cheerful airport hotels in LIN could I consider?
      4. What C&C hotels in central Milan offer easy access to MXP (train/shuttle)?
      Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
      4) what is C&C?
      Cheap and cheerful I think!

Comment

I can't think of C&C hotels since i usually don't stay at hotel when i'm in MIL. BAsically the areas offering easy access to MXP are

1) Cadorna
        2) Centrale railways station. (here there are a lot of hotel for every kind of budget, but in the night please be careful since the area could be unsafe.

Comment

wdiebts?
          Last edited by SQFAN; 12 August 2008, 03:34 PM.

Comment

LukeGT, apart from C&C hotels, could you please let me know when you have a free moment your thoughts on the locations of the various SPG properties ?

Westin - Piazza della Repubblica
            Four Points - Via Cardano
            Sheraton - Viale Piave
            Le Meridien - Piazza Duca d'Aosta

The Westin presumably has the best location out of the four but how do the others compare ? phaleesy and I are thinking of the location best for shopping and sightseeing, e.g. if public transport is convenient, we wouldn't mind staying somewhere further away.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              LukeGT, apart from C&C hotels, could you please let me know when you have a free moment your thoughts on the locations of the various SPG properties ?

Westin - Piazza della Repubblica
              Four Points - Via Cardano
              Sheraton - Viale Piave
              Le Meridien - Piazza Duca d'Aosta

The Westin presumably has the best location out of the four but how do the others compare ? phaleesy and I are thinking of the location best for shopping and sightseeing, e.g. if public transport is convenient, we wouldn't mind staying somewhere further away.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
              Basically all the hotels you mentioned are located in the same area.

- Le Meridien overlooks the railway station. You can catch both undergrond's line 2 and 3 (stop: Centrale FS).

- Westin is probably the best one - qualitatively speaking (never been there btw) - and it's located in Republic square. This square and the railways station square are more or less 350 mt far. From Republic square you can take line 3. (Stop: Repubblica)

- 4P is 200 mt far from railway station square. You can walk and catch line 2 and 3 at Centrale FS stop

- Sheraton Diana Majestic is in a slightly different area but it's pretty close to the others. From there you can catch line 1 (stop: porta venezia).
              If you plan to shopping by walking this is probably the best one, since you're very close to "buenos aires" blvd where there are many shops and at the same time you're 10 minutes walking from Via Della Spiga and Via Montenapoleone.

I have to say that all properties are conveniently located, so i would make the choice based on the hotel features and the price rather than location.

Hope this helps.

Luke

p.s.
              based on the info u gave me probably i would look for Sheraton.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                wdiebts?

I vaguely remember the original post... Le Meredien is in the square directly opposite the central train station.

I've checked the prices. It's 110 Euros each night. I have gone instead for a cheaper hotel - Hotel Berna - which is about 200 metres from the station.
                Free minibar. (soft drinks only! ) 59 Euros per night.

So I'd take the APT bus which runs every 10 mins from LIN to the central station when I arrive. I'd then take the shuttle to MXP the next morning.

Comment

Originally posted by bakman
                  phaleesy and I are thinking of the location best for shopping and sightseeing, e.g. if public transport is convenient, we wouldn't mind staying somewhere further away.

Comment

Why not blow your free Hyatt night at the PH Milan?
                    HUGE AL

Comment

I find myself doing the LIN-MXP shuffle as well in February, so this thread is quite useful. I arrive at LIN on Saturday afternoon and depart MXP Sunday afternoon, so it looks like this would work?

1. Taxi (€15) from LIN to Crowne Plaza Milan City (€90) on Saturday.
                      2. The Duomo and the Last Supper while I'm there. Unfortunately, the Inter-Roma game at San Siro starts just before my flight on Sunday, so will have to give that a miss. Anything else that's a must-do?
                      3. Malpensa Shuttle (€7.50) from Stazione Centrale to MXP on Sunday.

Luke, are you around for a drink on February 5th?

Comment

1. I took a bus from LIN to the city centre. I don't know where the CP is but did you check if there was a bus service?

2. Go up to the roof at the Duomo. Be prepared for the massive queue. Need to book tickets well in advance (at least a month ahead) for the Last Supper. I always leave things till the last minute, hence still have not gone for the Last Supper yet!

3. Arrive early for the Malpensa Shuttle. Bus takes a long time to fill up and start moving! Seems like there is no scheduled time. Try not to do what I did by getting off at the wrong terminal.

Comment

1. I took a bus from LIN to the city centre. I don't know where the CP is but did you check if there was a bus service?

2. Go up to the roof at the Duomo. Be prepared for the massive queue. Need to book tickets well in advance (at least a month ahead) for the Last Supper. I always leave things till the last minute, hence still have not gone for the Last Supper yet!

3. Arrive early for the Malpensa Shuttle. Bus takes a long time to fill up and start moving! Seems like there is no scheduled time. Try not to do what I did by getting off at the wrong terminal.
                          1. Yeah, it looks like there's a bus to Stazione Centrale which is a 10 min walk away.

2. I have a reminder set to buy a ticket to the Last Supper when bookings for Feb open next week

Comment

it's not easy from LIN to CP with public transportation: any way 1 eur for the global journey.
                            Take line nr. 73 till the last stop (s.Babila), then subway line 1 (red), direction RHO/FIERA or BISCEGLIE, just one stop till DUOMO. There you can trasnfer to yellow line (line nr. 3), direction MACIACHINI. Your stop is SONDRIO. Hotel is just outside the subway exit.

The direct bus to Stazione Centrale has different prices, since it's a private service. In this case, I strongly recommend you taxi ride.

That's correct. You need to book it in advance or to contact a TA in milan (sorry I don't know any to recommend).
                            Other things to see / do: dinner close to Navigli, St Ambrogio's church and St. Lorenzo's.

If the weather allows it, just walk to the castle and in the park behind it.
                            (but in february it could be cold and foggy).

Based on my experience, phaleesy is still right... There should be a timetable but it seems it's not respected.
                            Calculate at least one hour journey. All full service carriers leave from T1.
                            (sorry phaleesy but I'm ROTFL).

And finally yes, I should be in Milan that weekend.

Comment

Working...
                            X