Qantas A380 and 747-400 emergency landings at Changi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
    Wouldn't all of these failures be sufficiently addressed if the engine can contain all debris during its self-disintegration? From what I've read, only a section of the cowling is reinforced for a fan blade loss. The remainder is not, as seen from the pictures. Adding more redundancies would just make the aircraft that much heavier.
    Most a/c engines have a kevlar layer surrounding the fan case, anticipating fan blade disintegration due to a bird strike or any other FOD. It's not practical and impossible to have kevlar layer through the entire engine length. No material can absorb the energy possessed by a runaway turbine or compressor at full throttle. If there is, the a/c would just be too heavy to fly.

Interesting pics:

http://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalk...near-disaster/

Comment

• Originally posted by boing View Post
      Thanks for sharing those pics, boing! After seeing the damage done to the wing, I have to say I'm glad that a projectile was not launched towards the main cabin. That could have injured pax, or possibly have fatal consequences.
      Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• For the latest updates on this incident, check out this site:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/news...singapore.aspx

Seems they have just removed the No2 engine for examination.

Comment

Awesome article.

Comment

For the latest updates on this incident, check out this site:

http://www.atsb.gov.au/newsroom/news...singapore.aspx

Seems they have just removed the No2 engine for examination.
            Wow, the QF A380 stayed in the holding pattern for quite a while trying to get most of the fuel (and weight) overboard! Looks like they used Runway 20C on that day based on the Google Earth photo with the flight path superimposed on it.
            Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

• Originally posted by Aulia Harun View Post
              Thanks for sharing those pics, boing! After seeing the damage done to the wing, I have to say I'm glad that a projectile was not launched towards the main cabin. That could have injured pax, or possibly have fatal consequences.
              Very very fatal. AA had an uncontained engine failure, similar to QF, on their 767 at LAX. Luckily it was only during maintenance and no one was harmed. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
              http://photos.palal.net/v/aviation/l..._5001.JPG.html

Comment

• Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                Very very fatal. AA had an uncontained engine failure, similar to QF, on their 767 at LAX. Luckily it was only during maintenance and no one was harmed. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:
                http://photos.palal.net/v/aviation/l..._5001.JPG.html
                My exact thoughts ! That incident was far worse than the QF incident. One of the HPT disk actually tore free, sliced right through the fuselage and embedded itself in the other engine ! Pieces of the engine were found hundreds of meters with holes in the concrete. And if I'm not mistaken, that engine model had previous incidents similiar to that and had ADs to address that. But that incident didn't had the media circus that is following the current QF incident, labelling A380s and Trent 900s as unsafe and such. Why the disparity in treatment I wonder ? I don't think many ppl in this forum even know of that incident.

Comment

My exact thoughts ! That incident was far worse than the QF incident. One of the HPT disk actually tore free, sliced right through the fuselage and embedded itself in the other engine ! Pieces of the engine were found hundreds of meters with holes in the concrete. And if I'm not mistaken, that engine model had previous incidents similiar to that and had ADs to address that. But that incident didn't had the media circus that is following the current QF incident, labelling A380s and Trent 900s as unsafe and such. Why the disparity in treatment I wonder ? I don't think many ppl in this forum even know of that incident.
                  perhaps because it was not in the air at the time so you have no freaked out passengers to interview. you also didnt have bits of plane raining down all over peoples homes!
                  My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

• Originally posted by sqdazz View Post
                    perhaps because it was not in the air at the time so you have no freaked out passengers to interview. you also didnt have bits of plane raining down all over peoples homes!
                    Yup, dat could be a possibility. But the particular engine model on that a/c which disintegrated in LA had previous similiar incidents, one of which was a FedEx DC 10 inflight in the US which rained parts in a agricultural field in the US. And another ground run incident years ago eerily similiar to the one mentioned in this thread. And this was the engine that caused the infamous Sioux City crash.

And also a sudden IFSD of both engines on an A330 some years ago ! Just one incident on the A380 and it's hyped up and plastered all over the media worldwide. Just don't understand this biased reporting by the media. All engines are safe and have their minor kinks time to time. It's like the media have some sort of hidden agenda against QF and the A380.

Comment

It depend on the demaged area. QF one cause a demaged to the wing area and fuel like. It was lucky that the plane did not explode or burn in the air. Otherwise, all the passengers will be .... (even at landing time, the engine next to it is unable to shutdown due to this accident).

So for QF case, there is actually multiple areas of concern.

Comment

Yup, dat could be a possibility. But the particular engine model on that a/c which disintegrated in LA had previous similiar incidents, one of which was a FedEx DC 10 inflight in the US which rained parts in a agricultural field in the US. And another ground run incident years ago eerily similiar to the one mentioned in this thread. And this was the engine that caused the infamous Sioux City crash.

And also a sudden IFSD of both engines on an A330 some years ago ! Just one incident on the A380 and it's hyped up and plastered all over the media worldwide. Just don't understand this biased reporting by the media. All engines are safe and have their minor kinks time to time. It's like the media have some sort of hidden agenda against QF and the A380.
                        This is not a fair statement. Why should we use the same standard to measure A380 with other plane?
                        (Just like DBS press, they always say other bank also has similar incident - my conclusion to this kind of statement is then DBS is no different from others, then why should we be a customer of DBS and not other bank?)

A380 is consider a brand new equipment and carry almost double the capacity of A330. It get many press release during launch so it is going to get the same when it get into trouble.
                        I believe you have read what R/R has released. It seem R/R know about this problem and designed was change to the newer engine without even a warning to Airbus. So we got to see what is next piece of story we will be getting after more investigation is conducted.

As I say before, Airline industry has a very tight quality control and maintenance procedures. This kind of change was done even Airbus claim they did not know about it is unacceptable.

I also believe both QF and SQ get the same advice from R/R by now. Guess is now up to the airline to decide what and how to comply.
                        Last edited by cscs1956; 20 November 2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I don't think many ppl in this forum even know of that incident.
                          I didn't even know about that incident until globetrekker84 shared the photos. I also routinely watch Air Crash Investigation and have heard about many of the world's famous accidents/incidents. Surely the fact that the AA 767 engine incident occurred in the hangar shows that the media looks for stories that can make the headlines. Did AA disclose the incident shortly after it happened, or did it take a while before they allowed people to walk around and take photos of it?

Comment

And also a sudden IFSD of both engines on an A330 some years ago !
                            You referring to the Air Transat flight which ran out of fuel?

Comment

• I couldn't resist taking this photo at PER yesterday afternoon at one of the shops before immigration...

This appears to be the only Qantas A380 flying at the moment...

...for the awesomely low price of only $24.99!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                                I couldn't resist taking this photo at PER yesterday afternoon at one of the shops before immigration...

This appears to be the only Qantas A380 flying at the moment...

...for the awesomely low price of only $24.99!!

Really liked it alot !
                                A nice way to end off a perfect day

Comment

Working...
                                X