Musical instruments as handcarry from LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical instruments as handcarry from LHR

hey there, just got a little problem that i need some advice on.

I'll be flying back to SG from LHR in a couple of weeks for a holiday, and i'm intending to bring both my alto saxophones with me. Saxes are rather fragile (and expensive) instruments and if at all possible i'd like to handcarry both.

I checked up LHR handcarry regulations and they said its dependent on the airline. I emailed SQ Lon, but i got a standard reply "sir you are allowed 7 kg of blah blah blah..."

I've got a shoulder slung gigbag for one that i'm definitely going to handcarry, but i'm rather loathe to check in the other, especially since i've no saxo flight case, and a case that will survive LHR is prolly gg to cost over 200 quid.

Anyone know whether i'm gg to be likely to get away with handcarrying both saxos through customs and on board? Advice much appreciated!

You should be able to carry them on board. I went overseas with my school band (like 10 years ago) and we carried French Horns as carry on including our own carry on luggages. I don't think customs will care about the number of carry on luggages you have, but more likely the GA.

Comment

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...in_baggage.jsp

Bad news according to the SQ website.

How about checking-in the cases as fragile items?

You might have been able to get away with one alto-sax as handcarry but not sure about two.

The alto-saxes cases are rather bulky as well. Piccolo, flute and clarinet players would definitely have more luck in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
        You should be able to carry them on board. I went overseas with my school band (like 10 years ago) and we carried French Horns as carry on including our own carry on luggages. I don't think customs will care about the number of carry on luggages you have, but more likely the GA.
        Ten years ago, you didn't have the current security madness. When the one-bag rule was instituted at LHR, musical instruments were not exempt, and a number of school bands cancelled their tours rather than risk instruments being damaged by the baggage handlers. Also, neither customs agents nor gate agents will care about carryon luggage; it's the BAA goons who can be the sticklers for the rules.
        Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
        You might have been able to get away with one alto-sax as handcarry but not sure about two.
        I agree with phaleesy. On my most recent flight out of T3, I saw someone pushing an instrument case through the x-ray machine (it would've been too long for the gauge but was allowed through the checkpoint where you join the security queue), but the pax only had in addition to the instrument a small messenger bag that could be classed as a personal item, rather than carryon luggage.
        Last edited by jjpb3; 2 March 2008, 02:56 AM.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

hmm. looks tricky. i guess i'll have to bring just one horn then. thanks much for all the advice.

I'm really iffy about checking in the horns as the cheaper of my two horns still cost 1.5k sgd and just the slightest bit of damage (which will be unsurprising to LHR regulars) will still cost about $300-$400 to repair in Singapore.

I knew I should have stuck to playing the flute.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            I agree with phaleesy. On my most recent flight out of T3, I saw someone pushing an instrument case through the x-ray machine (it would've been too long for the gauge but was allowed through the checkpoint where you join the security queue), but the pax only had in addition to the instrument a small messenger bag that could be classed as a personal item, rather than carryon luggage.
            I remember from my few flights ex-LHR, I have seen Y pax with musical instruments and a small personal item on board.

Comment

Dunno about LHR, but in 2006 I brought a trumpet FRA-SIN-BNE and back as hand luggage (informed SQ about that before the flight).

As a general rule, don't check in your instruments. Personally I made a good experience with SQ's fragile luggage check-in on BNE-SIN-FRA (I checked in a bubble-wrapped didgereedoo), but I also know a number of persons who ended up with destroied or without their instruments. A very problematic combination on this regard seem to be transat flights with connections on either side.
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
                Dunno about LHR, but in 2006 I brought a trumpet FRA-SIN-BNE and back as hand luggage (informed SQ about that before the flight).
                A trumpet case is much smaller and shorter than an alto-sax case.

Thinking about it, an alto-sax case may not satisfy the cabin luggage limitations. Best to check with SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  A trumpet case is much smaller and shorter than an alto-sax case.
                  True!
                  Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

haha. lets see if i get through those BAA goons. I'll definitely remember this issue when I decide whether to get a Tenor or a Soprano horn.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                      I checked up LHR handcarry regulations and they said its dependent on the airline. I emailed SQ Lon, but i got a standard reply "sir you are allowed 7 kg of blah blah blah..."
                      It might also be bettter to contact SQ by phone, rather than email, to ask if there is some special procedure you have to follow.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

alto sax got through aye-ok. though it was a shitty shitty flight. baahhhh

thanks loads ppl!

Comment

Working...
                        X