SQ 11 LAX-NRT-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 11 LAX-NRT-SIN

So this flight departs LAX at 1530 and arrives SIN (after a layover in NRT) at 0225 in the middle of the night. My question is, how does anyone at SQ think that this is an attractive timing?!

there has been talk on this before not sure which forum

for LAX to NRT its actually good
    for NRT to SIN it may be ok for S'poreans travelling to Japan and wanting to make the best out of their trip
    for LAX to SIN ya it does look unattractive as by then most connections are out - perhaps SQ assumes people don't mind waiting till morning for transfers. I assume most transfer would be regional which have a lot of morning flights. I doubt many would transfer to Europe as that would be an extreme routing - perhaps this is their perspective?

Comment

There was a short period of time (about 1+ year, where SQ8 SIN-ICN-LAX and SQ7 LAX-ICN-SIN existed) where SQ11 departed LAX at 10am and arrive SIN at 9pm (it goes by SQ8->SQ11 and SQ12->SQ7)

Now with the introduction of ULR flights, SQ8/7 was scrapped, hence can't perform that SQ11 with morning departure. Can't really push back the current SQ11 departure timing to night time (with morning arrival at SIN) due to curfews at Narita airport...

Comment

could have been better if SQ11 is to depart at 18.30 and to arrive early morning in SIN, but that is the busiest time of arrival from most Europe and few Aussie + Indian

Comment

Originally posted by SilverKrisSRG View Post
          could have been better if SQ11 is to depart at 18.30 and to arrive early morning in SIN, but that is the busiest time of arrival from most Europe and few Aussie + Indian
          Cannot, got curfew at Narita airport.

I think a more possible solution is to bring forward SQ12 and SQ11 schedule by 3 hours (SQ12 departs SIN at 6.20am and arrive LAX at 10.10am, SQ11 departs LAX at 12.30pm and arrive SIN at 11.25pm).

Comment

Believed a few years back SQ 11 from LAX via NRT arrives into SIN at 1am

Comment

Originally posted by alian View Post
              there has been talk on this before not sure which forum

for LAX to NRT its actually good
              for NRT to SIN it may be ok for S'poreans travelling to Japan and wanting to make the best out of their trip
              for LAX to SIN ya it does look unattractive as by then most connections are out - perhaps SQ assumes people don't mind waiting till morning for transfers. I assume most transfer would be regional which have a lot of morning flights. I doubt many would transfer to Europe as that would be an extreme routing - perhaps this is their perspective?
              For LAX-SIN I'd presume they want to push traffic to the ULRs - but how well is that working without a Y non stop?

On a side note, NRT's curfew hours will be extended from NW19 so a later NRT-SIN leg may be doable if SQ can get the takeoff slot.
              an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by yuuka_miya View Post
                For LAX-SIN I'd presume they want to push traffic to the ULRs - but how well is that working without a Y non stop?

On a side note, NRT's curfew hours will be extended from NW19 so a later NRT-SIN leg may be doable if SQ can get the takeoff slot.
                Still need to give some buffer, otherwise a delay departure in SQ11 means the whole flight might have to be cancelled or re-scheduled.

Comment

That's why you don't change the LAX departure time too much, and give the plane a longer layover in NRT.

Currently SQ11 arrives at NRT around 7pm and leaves at 8pm. No problem now, but in winter they arrive at 8 and depart 9pm. A longer NRT layover would give everyone some more breathing space, to catch up lost time if SQ11 is delayed ex-LAX.
                  an infrastructure geek

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                    SQ011 Arrival Time was also around 3am in 2012 op by A380 so it seems the timing was not highly unpopular.

In 12-2016 when it was changed from A380 to B77W the arrival time in SIN brought forward to 21:40. I don't know how long they operated this schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ025 View Post
                      SQ011 Arrival Time was also around 3am in 2012 op by A380 so it seems the timing was not highly unpopular.

In 12-2016 when it was changed from A380 to B77W the arrival time in SIN brought forward to 21:40. I don't know how long they operated this schedule.
                      That change was only possible by placing two 77Ws on a diamond routing with each other. One 77W flew SIN-ICN-LAX-NRT-SIN while the other in the reverse direction. It was because the ICN routing could deliver a plane to LAX at the right time for an earlier departure back to SIN via NRT.

With the introduction of the ULRs, the one-stop ICN routing was cut, returning operations to a stand alone SIN-NRT-LAX operation that brought as back to the previous A380 timings. The operating aircraft doesn't play a role, merely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                        That's indeed correct. I believe this was prior to the introduction of the A380 on SQ12/SQ11, when SQ!1 LAX-NRT-SIN arrives into SIN just after 01:00 hours. Someone wrote a TR on A-Net some years back on SQ's F on the 744 - https://www.airliners.net/forum/view...SQ11#p12970993 - do a search for Changi and you'll find somewhere on the page where the OP mentioned arrival into Changi of just after 01:00am.

From memory, I think SQ12 departed SIN around 8:30am-ish, and with the transit stop in NRT, SQ12 was scheduled to arrive into LAX around 11+-am-ish. The return SQ11 would depart LA around 1:30pm, with the final arrival into SIN just after 01:00am.

With the introduction of the A380, SQ revised the timings, including more ground time in NRT, that ended up with later arrival into LAX and subsequent mid afternoon departure ex-LAX.

Obviously SQ SIN-NRT-LAX flights have evolved, as @SQ228 mentioned which involves the introduction of the A380, and then the diamond routing insolving SQ8/SQ11 SIN-ICN-NRT-NRT-SIN and SQ12/SQ7 SIN-NRT-LAX-ICN-SIN, and finally the current situation where it is back to SQ12/11 on the 77W but it seemed SQ reverted to the timings when the A380 were plying the route.

Comment

Well the timings of SQ12/11 during the 744 era were the best.
                          In 2003 for example (have old timetable on hand ): SQ12 departs SIN at 0945 and arrives NRT at 1735, then departs NRT at 1845 and reaches LAX at 1250.
                          SQ11 timings were LAX-NRT 1450-1800, then NRT-SIN 1910-0110+1.

Amazing how short the turnaround time needed for a 744 was in NRT.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                            Well the timings of SQ12/11 during the 744 era were the best.
                            In 2003 for example (have old timetable on hand ): SQ12 departs SIN at 0945 and arrives NRT at 1735, then departs NRT at 1845 and reaches LAX at 1250.
                            SQ11 timings were LAX-NRT 1450-1800, then NRT-SIN 1910-0110+1.

Amazing how short the turnaround time needed for a 744 was in NRT.
                            Great that you had a timetable on hand @StarG. I was trying to look for but couldn't find it!

And yes that was the timing I was referring to in my post. I too find it amazing that they could do with a 70 minute turnaround on a 744.

Comment

Working...
                            X