Virgin Blue to introduce Premium Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virgin Blue to introduce Premium Economy

At yesterday's AGM, DJ announced the introduction of a premium economy product. This puts DJ firmly with the upscale QF-esque camp rather than competing with JQ/TT. But at the same time I'm pleased that DJ has sought to distinguish itself from the competition rather than merely coming up with a shadow offering of the same thing, eg business class, or diving towards the lowest common denominator.

http://www.virginblue.com.au/AboutUs...s/P_002025.htm

24 October 2007: Brisbane, Australia: Virgin Blue Airlines today announced at its Annual General Meeting in Brisbane, its latest product innovation under its New World Carrier strategy with the introduction of its red leather Premium Economy seat.

The first three rows of the airline’s Boeing aircraft will be fitted with red leather Recaro seats and both the Boeing and EMBRAER aircraft will offer the new Premium Economy product.

Virgin Blue’s Premium Economy seats can be easily converted to offer a maximum of 12 premier seats or Virgin Blue’s standard 3 x 3 seat configuration.

Premium Economy will feature:

2 x 2 seating versus current 3 x 3 seating on all Boeing aircraft

Comfortable leather seating with additional leg room through an increased seat pitch of at least 34 inches* as well as increased seat width, leading to significant gains in personal space and comfort. The middle seat on the Boeing effectively becomes a personal cocktail table for refreshments leaving the valuable window and aisle seats available for Premium Economy Guests (* A minor percentage of seats are at 33 inches and a much more significant proportion of seats are in excess of 34” seat pitch)

Full complimentary access to the 24 Foxtel Live2air In-Flight Entertainment Channels

Priority Check-in (or web-check in & Kiosk Check-in for those who prefer the efficient means of checking themselves in)

Increased checked baggage allowance of 32 kg

Complimentary access to The Lounge facilities in primary ports of Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Sydney

Fully Flexible and fully refundable fares.
    Some pics:
    http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...m-8-small-.jpg
    http://www.frequentflyer.com.au/comm...309-small-.jpg

Looks as good as LH Euro business class to me.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 25 October 2007, 09:50 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Noticed that the premium economy fares are now on sale.

Having said that, an AUD $389 fare one way MEL-SYD does not compare favourably with the usual 452ish on QF J.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      Noticed that the premium economy fares are now on sale.

Having said that, an AUD $389 fare one way MEL-SYD does not compare favourably with the usual 452ish on QF J.
      I wonder if that 389 will be constant though, those QF J fares go well above 600 closer in and at peak time..

Comment

I had a chance to try out these new seats last night. Most of their planes have the seats installed now, so if you choose any of the first 3 rows you'll get to give it a go.

Basically the armrest slides sideways into the middle seat to increase the width. Then the cocktail table folds out from the middle seat also. Kinda cool I guess, not quite what I expected though.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          Looks as good as LH Euro business class to me.
          So pretty damn awful...

Comment

Working...
          X