Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heaviest Clothing Layer and Most Bone-Chilling Conditions You Have Ever Come Across?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaviest Clothing Layer and Most Bone-Chilling Conditions You Have Ever Come Across?

I certainly will be gaining a couple of extra pounds when I wake up tomorrow morning. Not by additional pounds of muscles nor fat, but rather by the extra clothing that I will bundle around myself. As temperatures in GTA (Greater Toronto Area) are expected to plumment as low as -20C tonight with windchills that will make it feel colder than that expected temperature reading with similar conditions prevailing tomorrow morning, I am certain I will have at least 5 layers of clothing when I head outdoors tomorrow morning around 7 am to shovel snow off the driveway at home before heading to the office. No doubt will also be covering as much skin as possible to avoid any painful frostbite.

Environment Canada Text Forecast:
    Code:
    Issued : 4.13 PM EST Tuesday 13 January 2009

Tonight
        Cloudy periods with 60 percent chance of flurries early this evening. Clearing this evening. Local blowing snow early this evening. Wind northwest 40 km/h gusting to 60 diminishing to 20 this evening then becoming light overnight. Low minus 20. Wind chill minus 25 overnight.

Wednesday
        Day: Increasing cloudiness. A few flurries beginning in the afternoon. High minus 12.
        Night: Flurries. Amount 5 cm. Wind east 20 km/h. Low minus 21. Wind chill minus 29.

Thursday
        A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. High minus 17.

Friday
        A mix of sun and cloud with 40 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 19. High minus 10.

Saturday
        Periods of snow. Blowing snow. Windy. Low minus 16. High minus 5.
    And just when one thinks things will get better, think again. As seen in the text forecast above, high temperatures tomorrow are only expected to hover around -12C tomorrow and by Thursday, the high temperature is only expected to top -17C (which means only one degree above zero on the Fahrenheit scale). Lows on both Wednesday and Thursday is expected to dip to -21C and of course the windchills to make matters worst. Gosh it is something not to look forward to but I can just imagine some other people such as airport ground crews who have to work early morning shifts & spend quality time outdoors as well as the homeless (who thankfully will be provided with shelters by the city as always). Perhaps the curiosity among several outsiders that everyone in Canada live in Igloos has just gained more momentum. Even worse a friend of mine in L.A. called my cell phone earlier specifically to ask my climatic conditions and to rub & brag his sunny 30C+ temperature down there into my ears.

Anyways while perhaps I have bundled heavier and have experienced colder/extended cold spell conditions in the past, the next couple of days will no doubt rank among the coldest temperatures I have witnessed at places where I live & call home and among the heaviest layers of clothing I put on myself.

So what is the heaviest layer of clothing attributed to weather you have worn and the coldest temperatures and/or cold spell you have experienced at places where you live. Doesn’t have to be the place you currently reside in as it can also be an old address where you maintained residency. But this question does not pertain to destinations you have traveled to and experienced nippy temperatures unless if you are or were a resident of that destination.

Also does anyone believe the combo of extreme bitter cold and post holiday blues are factor whenever one feels depressed whenever visualizing nature’s physical appearances in your surroundings? I am not sure if this has contributed to my mood but I sure do feel somewhat sullen whenever I think about the natural surroundings in my neck of the woods and the projected outcome of them in the next several days.
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

3 degrees in Sydney with a -4 wind chill factor for me

Comment

-6 in Lausanne. 24 where i live now

Comment

High +20s in AKL at the moment, with overnight lows in the high teens up to about 20C.

Comment

-25c in Macedonia. I have never experienced any temperature like it before or since. I thought I had miss heard when the pilot announced the temperature when we came in for landing.

The totally silly thing was that my hotel room was so hot I had to open the window a bit to get it to a sensible temperature.

Comment

-34C in Chicago just over Christmas.. it's pretty cold in Boston now, but today was nice and warm... It was 2C and I went out in a sweater. Boston is forecasted to be between -22C to -18C on Thurs and Friday with windchill values of -20F. Thankfully I dont have to be out!

Comment

'roundabout -20 to -23°C last week here in Germany. I've only seen such temperatures four or five times in the 15 years I live here!
              Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Around two weeks of between minus 25 and 33 when I was a kid in Scandinavia. I remember we still went playing ice hockey with school at minus 25, would not do that anymore.

But that was in an area where everything is designed around long and cold winters and life went on as normal.

Absolutely worse were the minus 5 to 10 last year in China with medium snow. Everything sort of derailed and it was bloody cold inside the buildings as well. Brrr...
                Last edited by mosburger; 14 January 2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

-18C in Pittsburgh now. Brrr its disgustingly cold

Comment

OK, how about, when taking into account the wind chill, -63C (-80F) in Chicago a few years ago; you could not go outside.

Comment

Originally posted by renault4 View Post
                      OK, how about, when taking into account the wind chill, -63C (-80F) in Chicago a few years ago; you could not go outside.
                      That seems unlikely. The record low temperature for Illinois is -36F, so Chicago temp equal or higher to this. From national weather service at an air temp of -30F you need sustained wind speeds of about 75mph (hurricane force is 63mph) to get wind chill down to -80F.

Comment

when I was in Jasper, Canada 2 weeks ago it got to -30C, definetley the coldest I've ever been

Comment

Originally posted by mosburger View Post

Absolutely worse were the minus 5 to 10 last year in China with medium snow. Everything sort of derailed and it was bloody cold inside the buildings as well. Brrr...
                          I would agree about central China - the temperatures might not be as cold as others have posted here... but its the coldest place i've ever been in my life due to the fact there is no heating indoors... if its 0 outside, its 0 inside too. You can't escape the bone chilling cold - restaurants are cold, cars are cold (taxi's dont put on the heating)... its just so cold!

Had to go to Pizza Hut which was the only place with any sort of heating to try & thaw out.
                          matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
                            I would agree about central China - the temperatures might not be as cold as others have posted here... but its the coldest place i've ever been in my life due to the fact there is no heating indoors... if its 0 outside, its 0 inside too. You can't escape the bone chilling cold - restaurants are cold, cars are cold (taxi's dont put on the heating)... its just so cold!
                            Urgh, that sounds nasty
                            Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                              That seems unlikely. The record low temperature for Illinois is -36F, so Chicago temp equal or higher to this. From national weather service at an air temp of -30F you need sustained wind speeds of about 75mph (hurricane force is 63mph) to get wind chill down to -80F.
                              well, yeah, I am sure you're right. I spent four wonderful years in Chicago (lived near where the Obama family now have their house), and "minus eighty wind chill" seemed to be part of the vernacular there even if, as you suggest, it was never technically achieved. That having been said, there were days where it was cold enough and windy enough that you could not risk prolonged exposure of bare skin (e.g., your face) for any significant length of time, so in the spirit of the OP, no matter what way you looked at it, it was pretty darn cold!

Comment

Working...
                              X