Tipping in the US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
    Shuttle Drivers (rental car/airport hotel) I tip $1/trip.

KeithMELYou NEED also to tip me for this TIP
    But we're not even in the US yet.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      Have I missed anyone?
      As well as housekeeping (mentioned above), there are also various other people depending on the establishment, e.g. toilet attendant, cloakroom attendant and doormen.

Comment

Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you carry a stack of $1 bills and just tip everyone you meet.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
          Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you carry a stack of $1 bills and just tip everyone you meet.
          Is that a hint for what it takes to get you out to Chicago?
          Last edited by KeithMEL; 9 November 2006, 01:39 AM.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Porters: $1-2 a bag
            Housekeeping: $2 a day
            Meals: 15%-20% for really good service
            Friends on SQTalk giving advice: Priceless

For everything else, there's Mastercard

Comment

So is appalling service ever an excuse for not tipping? Or are tips expected anyway?

Comment

So is appalling service ever an excuse for not tipping? Or are tips expected anyway?
                In my experience Tips are expected no matter what, but that does not mean that you have to give one. Just be prepared for them to complain about it.

Comment

A customer of mine was once so upset with the service we had at a restaurant that he tipped $0.01

Comment

A customer of mine was once so upset with the service we had at a restaurant that he tipped $0.01
                    I've done that. I don't care if tipping is 'expected'; in that case, good service was also expected.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

LOL! I would pay to see the waiter's reaction.

Comment

If the service was that poor then I would say that is 1 cent too much.

Comment

phaleesy and I are staying in a hotel in NYC where we've been given breakfast vouchers.

We just had breakfast (a self-service buffet but the staff bring the hot drinks) and phaleesy was under the impression that we don't need to tip at all. I thought that it should be the same as any normal place in NYC - 15% as the standard tip (higher than in London) and more for good service but phaleesy seemed to think that 10% or thereabouts is fine given that it's self-service. However, I don't think I agree with this as the waiting staff still work (refreshing the buffet; clearing and setting out tables; bringing drnks; etc) so why should they get any less than usual in the circumstances ?

phaleesy and I thought we'd consult with the oracle - SQT - to find out the correct answer (before breakfast again tomorrow)! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

Paging cawhite, taipeiflyer and HUGE AL!
                            I rarely eat out and I am a bad tipper. So I can't comment on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                              This is what I do...good luck spotting any logic in it :

- Bartenders: $1 for a drink if I'm paying for the drink. Most of the time I'm at bars where happy hours are sponsored by clubs/recruiters at school so drinks are free - in that case I don't tip.

- Hotel concierge: Haven't tipped them for directions or suggestions. However, they are great for getting you free invites/VIP lists to clubs, even if you're not staying in that hotel - just walk up to them and if they ask, say you were having a drink at the hotel bar. $5-10 depending on how many people they can get into the club.

- Hotel porters: Never use them, but I figure $1 per bag

- Hotel receptionists (??): I don't.

- Waiters/waitresses: I tip 15%. In a restaurant in NYC one waiter actually complained to us that we should be tipping 18% instead...which I think is a reason to take away the entire tip, but the rest of the table paid up

- Taxi drivers: Round it up to anywhere between 10-15% depending on the fare.

- Bus drivers (??): I don't.

- Sales assistants (??): I don't.

- Cashiers (??): I don't.
                              My tipping habits have changed the longer I've stayed in the US and realised that there is no correlation between tipping and service.

- Bartenders: No tip. Come on, its just pouring a friggin' drink. Its part of their job.

- Hotel concierge: The most useful person in a hotel. I've upped my tip to $20 or thereabouts for good service.

- Waiters/waitresses: No tip when there's bad service. 15% otherwise.

- Taxi drivers: Round it up to the nearest dollar.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                                phaleesy and I are staying in a hotel in NYC where we've been given breakfast vouchers.

We just had breakfast (a self-service buffet but the staff bring the hot drinks) and phaleesy was under the impression that we don't need to tip at all. I thought that it should be the same as any normal place in NYC - 15% as the standard tip (higher than in London) and more for good service but phaleesy seemed to think that 10% or thereabouts is fine given that it's self-service. However, I don't think I agree with this as the waiting staff still work (refreshing the buffet; clearing and setting out tables; bringing drnks; etc) so why should they get any less than usual in the circumstances ?

phaleesy and I thought we'd consult with the oracle - SQT - to find out the correct answer (before breakfast again tomorrow)! Thanks in advance for any advice.
                                I asked the same question to some of my American friends recently and although they all said something different the mid ground seemed to be yes you do tip but maybe slightly less than at a full service restaurant. So if you normally tip 20% then you might go down to 15% for a buffet.

Comment

Working...
                                X