No announcement yet.

Opening of T3 for Trial flights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When they renovate T1 soon, I hope they will reinstate the old viewing mall in one way or another. Maybe shift the viewing mall one floor up or something. And please no crap glass blocking. That makes it worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferrari_RoXz View Post
      I have my doubts about this too. If you noticed, T2 has somewhat the same design element. The shades are attatched to the building and obstructs the view of the runway.

As somebody complained in The Straits Times, lets wait for CAAS's official reply. Keep touch with the newspapers guys!
      Yeapz, and notice the same sunshade design at the two MRT entrance glass blocks.
      Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
        Yeapz, and notice the same sunshade design at the two MRT entrance glass blocks.

Oh well, what can we do? Guess we will have to wait till Terminal 4 comes before we can wish something good from it.

Comment

The T3 viewmall is the worst i have seen. Why? Firstly, its located so far away from the glass panel (just like T2 but abit further) This is not so bad. But what pissed me off is that there is many sunshades which kinda block the view of the runway and parking areas. It's a waste. They placed the viewing mall in such a good location (touchdown zone of runway 02L) but the sunshades spoils the potentialy fantastic view. A very serious design flaw i would say. What's the point of having a viewing mall when obstructions are in the way?
          Yes, same comment. The sunshades really block the view. What a bad design!
          I like Hong Kong airport best.
          BTW. T3 design really looks like a copy of Hong Koong airport!

Comment

I suggested in another forum that if they were to build a viewing mall, it should have as little obstructions as possible. This is not a case of letting sunlight in. If they knew that without shades, it will affect the temp in the building. Then they should be clever enough to locate the viewing mall elsewhere. Or just close up the unnecesary gap in between the exterior of the terminal and the viewing mall. This way, the sun will just glare down into the viewing mall while the transit area (with the shade) will not be affected.

I suggest a econmical way to slove this problem. If you noticed, some airports around the world have open air viewing gallery (eg Nartita Airport, Japan) These open air design are cheap to maintain and most importantly it does not obstruct the sensation of being in an airport. Vistors can hear the jet engines roaring, they will not have unobstructed views.

For the management, its like killing 2 birds with one stone. Firstly, vistors will be happy about the views. So theyw ill not receive complains from the public which i will eleborate later on. Secondly, its much cheaper the maintain and build an open air viewing mall. Lets look at some of the cost savings:
            1. No need build roof = Save $
            2. No need build glass = Save $
            3. No need clean glass = Save $ (look at how dirty T2's glass is)
            4. No need to pay Air-con bills = Save $

Look at how much money is being saved if this idea was to be implemented during the design of the terminal. The savings could be used to reduce airport tax to attract airlines and vistors, further enhance the building's design and train staffs to be polite.

If anyone has noticed in The Straits Times (21st Nov 07), Somebody has complained about Changi Airport's all 3 terminal's viewing mall. He seems rather disapointed about T3's design (like i do). See, when you have bad design, the public will complain. Complain will cost $$ as people have to reply the public.

To salvage the bad situation at T3 viewing mall. What i suggets is to either get rid of the sickening sun shades. But if that will affect the temp in the terminal. Then CAAS could build another viewing mall DIRECTLY above the current one. This way, it will give passengers a choice of having a nice view wif no aircon, or having aircon with terrible view.

Money is always not a problem for Singapore. They are willing to build something expensive but not usefull at all.
            Travelling from t1/t2/t3 is yet another problem. Parking too. 3 terminals 3 seperate parking system.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
              Money is always not a problem for Singapore. They are willing to build something expensive but not usefull at all.
              Travelling from t1/t2/t3 is yet another problem. Parking too. 3 terminals 3 seperate parking system.
              How do you know it isn't "usefu[l] at all", or that travelling and parking are a "problem" when the terminal isn't even open for regular operations?
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                How do you know it isn't "usefu[l] at all", or that travelling and parking are a "problem" when the terminal isn't even open for regular operations?
                Already drive into T3 car park during the soft opening. Give it a try and you will know.

Comment

Already drive into T3 car park during the soft opening. Give it a try and you will know.
                  Sure, I'll be happy to report on my experiences as a passenger when I'm back after the terminal opens for regular operations. I do have a feeling I'll be disputing your assertion that the terminal is "not useful at all".
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Here we go again.

T3 is going to be extremely useful for those shoulder chipless regular SQ pax.

Can you explain how difficult it is to travel between T1 and T2 please ?. I walk to T1 regularly from T2 and have no problems whatsoever.

I will reserve my judgement on travelling to T3 until the facility starts operations and I experience it for myself. I've found it's a better way of offering a balanced judgement.

Comment

SQ will be conducting more trials on 10 selected live flights, 5 arrivals into and 5 departures from Terminal 3 on 05 December 2007.

The following flights are the live flights selected to depart/arrive from T3:

SQ 493 (CAI-SIN) - 1600 ETA
                      SQ 28 (SIN-TPE) - 1715 ETD
                      SQ 319 (LHR-SIN) - 1455 ETA
                      SQ 2 (SIN-SFO) - 1740 ETD
                      SQ 527 (MAA-SIN) - 1750 ETA
                      SQ 870 (SIN-HKG) - 1900 ETD
                      SQ 175 (HAN-SIN) - 1755 ETA
                      SQ 215 (SIN-PER) - 1935 ETD
                      SQ 113 (KUL-SIN) - 1720 ETA
                      SQ 297 (SIN-CHC) - 1945 ETD

Comment

From my personal view, transfer between T1 and T2 has never been a problem for me...I found it very efficient and quick.... so I kinda doubt that transfer between terminal will be such a hassle in new T3

Also, about the usefulness of the T3... I think the airport builder or master mind has planned this T3 for quite sometime ago (or maybe even before T2 was being built).... If you look at T1 they use C and D for gates name and T2 they use E and F and why for T3 they use A and B....If they only planned this after T2 then they would have used A and B for T1 gates.... (imagine changi airport when u first enter the road leading towards the airport with T3 on your left, T1 in front of you and T2 on your right)... You will realise that actually all those gates are in alphabetical order....

So it's not a matter about usefulness of T3 itself...but its already in the plan and its being built to coincide with the arrival of A380 as well as growth in Changi I suppose.... no matter whether A380 is there or not....T3 will still be built anyway.... since they might have planned it already when they're developing Changi....

Comment

Originally posted by itami View Post
                          SQ will be conducting more trials on 10 selected live flights, 5 arrivals into and 5 departures from Terminal 3 on 05 December 2007.

The following flights are the live flights selected to depart/arrive from T3:

SQ 493 (CAI-SIN) - 1600 ETA
                          SQ 28 (SIN-TPE) - 1715 ETD
                          SQ 319 (LHR-SIN) - 1455 ETA
                          SQ 2 (SIN-SFO) - 1740 ETD
                          SQ 527 (MAA-SIN) - 1750 ETA
                          SQ 870 (SIN-HKG) - 1900 ETD
                          SQ 175 (HAN-SIN) - 1755 ETA
                          SQ 215 (SIN-PER) - 1935 ETD
                          SQ 113 (KUL-SIN) - 1720 ETA
                          SQ 297 (SIN-CHC) - 1945 ETD

I am wondering. Since they are having an open house at T3 now, how feasible or how wise is it to conduct trial flights? People from the public will have 'free' access to the public and transit areas? Wouldn't it complicate security or immigration procedures? Possible loophole for immigration? Wonder what sort of measures are in place?

Comment

Very likely the Open House tours inside the Transit area that day will be cancelled...to prevent the mixing of people.
                            Last edited by Jubilee777; 2 December 2007, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                              Very likely the Open House tours inside the Transit area that day will be cancelled...to prevent the mixing of people.
                              Hmm.. This do make sense.

Guessed those people who had planned to visit the open house on that day will be pissed. It doesn't make sense to go to the open house if the transit area is closed. When T3 starts to operate, they can always visit the public areas anytime they want but the transit areas are Out of Bounds unless they are flying. The open house is the only opportunity for people who never or seldom get the chance to fly to visit the transit areas.

BTW, will the skytrain be operating to the T3 transit area during the period of trial flights?

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                                BTW, will the skytrain be operating to the T3 transit area during the period of trial flights?
                                Yes, but I heard there will be a checkpoint to only allow passengers on the T3 trial flights to enter the Skytrain station at T2. A valid boarding pass is required....although it would be fun to allow some travellers to go there as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X