New Budget Terminal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
    I will leave that to the airport planners to best optimise the available space. Probably reconfiguration of taxiways will be needed for a satellite concourse to be build. The other alternative is to split up existing sections wide-bodied gates into multiple narrow-bodied gates (4WB -> 6NB?). No doubt the turnaround times are short for AK but they still use wide-bodied gates at times.
    The layout at SIN does not cater for buildings to be erected in between terminals and the runways, so unless they physically move the runways we can pretty much rule out satellite concourses.

The next available piece of land is between RWY 02C / 20C and RWY 02R / 20L, and that is definitely too big and too far away for a satellite concourse. I see a new terminal being built there in years to come and they better build fast!

With regards to splitting exiting gates into multiple narrowbodied gates, it will involve a lot of rework to existing aerobridges (compare Changi and KLIA on Googlemaps). It will also mean that there'll be no more space for ground support equipment so I don't think it's gonna happen.
    Last edited by flying.monkeyz; 19 September 2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
      The layout at SIN does not cater for buildings to be erected in between terminals and the runways, so unless they physically move the runways we can pretty much rule out satellite concourses.
      Here's a hypothetical layout of a satellite concourse with 6 A320 sized bays but this will mean a loss of a high speed taxiway. Purely academic. Even so, the current BT can be leveled and replaced with a satellite concourse linked to T2 via underground people movers.

The next available piece of land is between RWY 02C / 20C and RWY 02R / 20L, and that is definitely too big and too far away for a satellite concourse. I see a new terminal being built there in years to come and they better build fast!
      We only have so much land allocated to aviation. We cannot just keep constructing more and more half utilized terminals. It's inevitable we will need to optimize utilisation the day we run out of land for construction of new terminals. The Concept Plans & Master Plans from URA have only a zoned a small area for T4. Much of the land has been earmarked for industrial use.

With regards to splitting exiting gates into multiple narrowbodied gates, it will involve a lot of rework to existing aerobridges (compare Changi and KLIA on Googlemaps). It will also mean that there'll be no more space for ground support equipment so I don't think it's gonna happen.
      Well, the market dynamics are changing. The growth of traffic in the recent years have been attributed to the LCCs operating narrowbodies. I doubt many of these LCCs will go to widebodies anytime in the near term for the regional hops. Makes perfect sense for investment for such a move.
      Last edited by Nick C; 19 September 2011, 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling :)

Comment

I will leave that to the airport planners to best optimise the available space. Probably reconfiguration of taxiways will be needed for a satellite concourse to be build. The other alternative is to split up existing sections wide-bodied gates into multiple narrow-bodied gates (4WB -> 6NB?). No doubt the turnaround times are short for AK but they still use wide-bodied gates at times.
        They could possibly turn the entire T1 central apron into NB gates...but I certainly hope they don't, the few WB a/c that use T1 central apron go a long way to spice up a boring day of seeing endless streams of AirAsia and Jetstar.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
          the few WB a/c that use T1 central apron go a long way to spice up a boring day of seeing endless streams of AirAsia and Jetstar.
          As well as the people visiting the viewing mall

Comment

Tiger just received another two aircraft. Loads of room at the Budget Terminal now.

I knew BKK was doing well for them, but I didn't realise they were currently 3 times a day to SGN going to 4 flights a day!.

Tiger Airways’ Singapore fleet had reached a milestone 20 aircraft with the addition of two new Airbus A320-232 planes from the Airbus delivery centre in Toulouse.

This increase is in line with the group’s overall plans to grow its total fleet to 68 aircraft by December 2015.

The additional aircraft will increase capacity to some of Asia’s leading destinations including Bangkok (from 28 to 31 times a week), Ho Chi Minh City (from 21 to 28 times a week), Tiruchirapalli (from 7 to 11 times a week), Guangzhou and Taipei (both from 7 to 10 times a week).

The expanded fleet will also allow Tiger Airways to fly to new routes including Bangalore, Cebu and Davao.

“These additional aircraft will fuel the expansion of our business in Singapore. We have flown over 21 million passengers since our inaugural flight in September 2004, and we are now one of the top three airlines by passenger numbers from Changi Airport. With these aircraft, we are well placed to grow these volumes even further,” said Stewart Adams, Managing Director of Tiger Airways Singapore.

Comment

10 gates at Budget Terminal, 20 aircrafts. Hmm...
              My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

No wonder I'm seeing tiger aircraft parking at T1 gates.

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                  10 gates at Budget Terminal, 20 aircrafts. Hmm...
                  You mean the there's 1 gate at T2 or T3 for every SQ bird?

With the tight turnaround for TR, would most of their birds be in the air most of the time?

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 or 8 of those gates occupied at any given time.
                    The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

Originally posted by sealalula View Post
                      No wonder I'm seeing tiger aircraft parking at T1 gates.
                      They are regularly having to tow them around to the BT, thus causing delays.

Are those SQ 777's earmarked for their LCC still parked next to it ?. That was causing some annoyance I believe.

Originally posted by sabian View Post
                      With the tight turnaround for TR, would most of their birds be in the air most of the time?
                      True, but with many of them doing short hops, as opposed to SQ's birds disappearing for hours or days at a time, they are back in pretty short order.

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                      I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 or 8 of those gates occupied at any given time.
                      So at times 70-80% full already, with their main occupant to all but quadruple it's fleet over the next couple of years. I don't know why TR are bothering Changi about this then.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                        Are those SQ 777's earmarked for their LCC still parked next to it ?. That was causing some annoyance I believe.
                        4 as of this morning

Comment

Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                          That was the mistake KUL made. When they built the current LCCT and moved AirAsia there, they didn't really think more than 4 or 5 years ahead.

They waited for it to be operating way beyond capacity before thinking "Hmm.. I *think* we need a new terminal"

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            I don't think the SQ 777's going to their LCC have been pulled from SQ service yet. Every time I pass by the BT I see different SIA 777s there, and sometimes A333s too.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                              Every time I pass by the BT I see different SIA 777s there, and sometimes A333s too.
                              That's right. I pass there most weekday mornings and it always changes

Comment

We only have so much land allocated to aviation. We cannot just keep constructing more and more half utilized terminals. It's inevitable we will need to optimize utilisation the day we run out of land for construction of new terminals. The Concept Plans & Master Plans from URA have only a zoned a small area for T4. Much of the land has been earmarked for industrial use.
                                how about reclaim nearby islands and build a new airport there? is it a possibility? like u said there is so much land that u can have in mainland
                                visit my blog

Comment

Working...
                                X