Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[LHR] JL C: the best of the OW options in T3 ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LHR] JL C: the best of the OW options in T3 ...

... for a Sapphire at least.

I don't have Emerald status so I couldn't visit that sanctuary, but the C side definitely struck me as the best that OW C BP holders and OW Sapphires have access to at T3.

Opening hours:
    13.00 - 19.00 (so this lounge would be inaccesible for those taking morning or late evening flights on CX, for example)
    Eligible pax:
    OW C BP holders; OW F BP holders, Sapphires and Emeralds and their guests

The first factor that recommends this lounge over my recommendation until now (CX Lounge) is the space. There are two seating areas, demarcated by decor rather than physical barriers.

The first seating area -- which you enter upon turning right at the reception desk -- has dark colors. Depending on your mood, you might find the colors soothing or somber. Actually, this area sort of reminded me of the LHR SKL C.

View of this first seating area: off in the far-right back corner of the picture is a room with tables and a counter-like setup where you can sit upright, eat and chat with friends (as opposed to slouching in the couch area and reaching forward for your snacks). Off in the left back corner of the picture is the business work area. (More on that later)

Another view of the first seating area: notice the nice bank of windows on the left that lets daylight in. You were welcomed to take copies of the reading materials from the table in front of the picture (I took a copy of *Wallpaper for froufrou reading on the plane). You were requested to leave the copies of reading materials in other parts of the lounge for your fellow passengers.

The snacks and drinks are in this first seating area.

A view of the refrigerated snacks on offer (the milk for tea and coffee is also in this refrigerator). There is a larger refrigerator to the right of this with cold drinks such as beer, soft drinks, and water.

A bonus for me: Japanese snacks! I love those chilli rice cakes (several made it on my CX flight with me). The lounge sources the tea from Whittard of Chelsea, and has a separate sencha (green tea) selection, which was lovely. Several packets of the latter also accompanied me to HKG.

As I had skipped lunch to finish packing (having just done MNL-SIN-LHR and now flying LHR-HKG), the cold udon noodles and JAL sushi pack were a welcome snack.

My preferred way to take advantage of this lounge's offerings was (1) to grab refreshments from Seating Area 1 and then (2) to eat them in Seating Area 2. You can see the boundary between the two seating areas in the change of carpet color in this picture:

The second seating area can be reached by walking past the refreshments counter (to your left as you enter the first seating area) and towards the windows, and then veering left.

The decor -- lighter carpet color, big windows, and a shoji screen-like partition from reception -- was very appealing to me. The same exact seats now leave a different impression; to me, they appear warmer and more inviting. I love it when interior design choices have that effect (i.e., change the visual impact with one or a couple of design choices).

Note: those shadowy figures beyond the screen are the reception staff.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 9 January 2008, 03:01 AM.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

The other reasons I preferred this lounge over the CX lounge

2. The massage chair

From where I was seated in Seating Area 2, you can follow a pathway leading to the area where the computer terminals are.

Be warned: the terminals' language is set to Japanese. You can also get a free 3-hour wifi account from reception.

If instead of turning right towards the work area, you look to your left, there will be a standing wooden room divider, and beyond that sits

Very good for having a go at the knots along your spine (I was less impressed by what it was trying to do to my calves).

3. The better-designed and less constricting toilet facilities.

I find the men's room in the CX Lounge very confining, and the sink is too close to the urinals and facing towards them. It doesn't help any that the barrier between the sink and the urinals is transparent, not translucent, as it should be.

The JL lounge has a roomier men's room, and more attractively laid out sink area (facing away from the urinals).

4. Finally, I loved this notice in the lounge:

Any lounge that requests that gets several bonus points from me.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 7 January 2008, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The lounge looks good - even better than the CX F lounge (which I've only visted once) due to the daylight etc! Are those cold wet towels in the fridge to use to freshen up ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        The lounge looks good - even better than the CX F lounge (which I've only visted once) due to the daylight etc! Are those cold wet towels in the fridge to use to freshen up ?
        Very sharp vision. Yes, they are.

Definitely, I prefer the JL C lounge to the CX F Lounge. Just before a CX flight, the CX lounge gets quite full, IME. And there's just something about natural daylight that lifts the spirits. (On the other hand, the CX F lounge does serve champagne. )

Comment

Look very nice.

Comment

Mmmm I completely forgot about JL. I'm guessing they also have a Flounge at T3. I'm hoping their Flounge has champers or i'd stick to CX.

I will be flying AA F and going by the flight time I think all T3 OW lounges will be open. Will report back after my lounge hop.

edited to add - oops i misread the times. JL lounge isn't going to be open for my flight.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 7 January 2008, 12:48 AM.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Mmmm I completely forgot about JL. I'm guessing they also have a Flounge at T3
              Yes they do. Turn left at reception.
              Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              I'm hoping their Flounge has champers or i'd stick to CX.
              In the hours that the lounge is open, I didn't think alcohol makes that much of a difference. Is this requirement to make up for what's offered on your AA flights?

Edited to add: I missed the edit to your post, so the second comment is now irrelevant.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 9 January 2008, 03:04 AM.

Comment

Haven't flown out from T3 after attaining my Emerald status. I should try this JL lounge at least once in the future. Btw,the lounge looks pretty old comparing with CX ones. But I pretty sure it is a nicer place to rest or work than the green market.

Comment

Originally posted by ny911 View Post
                  I should try this JL lounge at least once in the future. Btw,the lounge looks pretty old comparing with CX ones. But I pretty sure it is a nicer place to rest or work than the green market.
                  Not the most modern decor, I agree.

But the windows made a load of difference to me. I've always felt hemmed in in the CX Lounge. The modern furnishings in the CX Lounge don't quite compensate for the feeling of being boxed in -- just my personal impression, mind you.

Comment

Working...
                  X