No announcement yet.

EK have cancelled their 70 off A350's !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EK have cancelled their 70 off A350's !

Thsi is a surprise, and a blow to both Airbus and RR...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27791448

So whats the real reason? Wanted the 777X instead?

Comment

This leaves SQ as the A350's sole 2nd largest customer after QR.

Maybe Boeing offered EK a deal for 777-300ERs around the time of EK's A350 EIS, to tide over the 777 production line until the first 777Xs are built?

Comment

I think EK just woke up from their megalomania dream or their finance dept finally got their spreadsheets working properly and had an "Oh shit" moment.

Comment

Given their obsession with all things big they probably realised the A350 is far too small for their needs

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
            This leaves SQ as the A350's sole 2nd largest customer after QR.

Maybe Boeing offered EK a deal for 777-300ERs around the time of EK's A350 EIS, to tide over the 777 production line until the first 777Xs are built?

""It gives the unavoidable conclusion that the world's largest and most influential long-haul airline sees the 777X as the wide-bodied twin of the future," he said." ?

With this cancellation, may be SQ will gets their A350 earlier.

Comment

To add my 2 cents, I think that they may have finally become exhausted with trying to put A380s on a seemingly endless amount far-flung destinations (realising the operating costs that add up with all of that), so that they may be looking to the 777X as a (possibly more cost-efficient) alternative to buying more Airbus aircraft in general.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
                ""It gives the unavoidable conclusion that the world's largest and most influential long-haul airline sees the 777X as the wide-bodied twin of the future," he said." ?

With this cancellation, may be SQ will gets their A350 earlier.
                SQ is getting them way sooner than EK ever was. So I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                  SQ is getting them way sooner than EK ever was. So I doubt it.
                  Sidetracking a little, SQ gets their first A350 just after QR right? Would it be end 2014 or early 2015?

Comment

Originally posted by SQGamespeed View Post
                    To add my 2 cents, I think that they may have finally become exhausted with trying to put A380s on a seemingly endless amount far-flung destinations (realising the operating costs that add up with all of that), so that they may be looking to the 777X as a (possibly more cost-efficient) alternative to buying more Airbus aircraft in general.

EK are the only, and may be the only EVER to operate A380s to Glasgow (replacing their previous B777) so, yes, they are using them everywhere simply and only because they have them not because capacity was a requirement.

Comment

Sidetracking a little, SQ gets their first A350 just after QR right? Would it be end 2014 or early 2015?
                      It was Q4 2014 about 2 years go. Not sure if it has slipped.

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                      EK are the only, and may be the only EVER to operate A380s to Glasgow (replacing their previous B777) so, yes, they are using them everywhere simply and only because they have them not because capacity was a requirement.
                      I thought that just a one off?

Comment

SQ EIS will be end 2015 to early 2016.

Comment

I heard the cancellation was because they couldn't fit a pool villa into the F cabin

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                            I heard the cancellation was because they couldn't fit a pool villa into the F cabin
                            ...while cramming 400 Y seats in a 3-5-3 config behind.

Comment

I read somewhere that those EK A350 slots were for delivery in the 2018-20 time frame so Airbus should manage to resell those slots over time. Who knows what sweeteners Boeing threw into the deal to regain ground and position the 77X as the best thing since sliced bread. I think both will be good aircraft in the end for somewhat different uses.

Comment

Working...
                              X