Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

jjpb3, what is your strategy for getting an opup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjpb3, what is your strategy for getting an opup?

Paffendorf
    jjpb3, what is your strategy for getting an opup?
    « Thread started on: Aug 21st, 2006, 11:45pm »
    I read some days ago about your upgrades on ONE WORLD carriers.... i'm just curious to learn more about your strategy....
    Please explain me how to do....
    Luke

jjpb3
    RE: Jjpb3, what is your strategy for getting an opup?
    « Reply #1 on: Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:59pm »
    Well, my main strategy is NOT to look for them. Seriously. They're too random for my sanity if I expect them. If I get them, I'm happy; if I don't, I would've chosen to travel the way I normally would.

If I were to look for op-ups, though, the strategy would involve the following steps:

1. Fly on airlines that are known to op-up (so, CX is in, SQ is out)

2. Achieve the status that's known to be favored on airlines identified in Step 1 (for CX, it's MPO DM and GO, OW Emerald; for BA, BAEC Gold)

3. Choose the time of the year when travel is very busy (for CX, Christmas time, CNY and school travel period; for BA, Christmas time to Oz, summer transatlantic)

4. Choose the cabin where op-ups tend to happen from (for BA transatlantic, WT+; for BA for LHR-SIN, CW and WT+)

5. Choose the routes where op-ups tend to happen (for CX, LHR-HKG and HKG-SIN seem to be such routes; for BA, the routes seem to be LHR headed to the US and to SIN [my friend and I have never been op-upped on the inbound segment])

6. Pray that Steps 1 - 5 have sufficiently boosted your chances.

I try not to follow these steps, though, because I hate getting my hopes up unnecessarily, even subconsciously. Plus, such a travel pattern would rule out my favorite airline from the very beginning.
    « Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2006, 01:27am by jjpb3 »

glam82
    RE: jjpb3, what is your strategy for getting an opup?
    « Reply #2 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:19am »
    jjpb3,
    But I don't even expect op-ups and yet 1 in 3 flights my boarding pass gets rejected at the gate, giving me false hope of an op-up only for my boarding pass to be given back to me and an apology for the inconvinience.

KeithMEL1985
    « Reply #3 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:08am »
    CX tends to op up oneworld elites, even those of other oneworld carriers. I got them a fair bit as AA Plat (sapphire). Apparently HKG-YYZ has the highest op up frequency, according to a friend working for CX.
    « Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:11am by KeithMEL1985 »

shortfinals
    « Reply #4 on: Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:21am »
    Speaking of opups - a chat with some of the girls at "home" the other day, they say in normal daily operations get about 10 opups a day outbound from SIN on SQ. That's insignificant, considering the thousands that pass through every single day.

paffendorf
    « Reply #5 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 10:52am »
    jjpb3..... got the op-up on BA115 in WT+.
    the only good thing during the day....

i'm trying to get an op/up on CX889 but this is really difficult to obtain.

paffendorf
    « Reply #6 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 02:37am »
    no op-up on CX889....
    BTW i've just checked in for CX888 and kindly asked for opup... seems that special meals make things harder than usual. I kindly explained that if i should be op-upped, i would have no problem in getting my economy low calories meal!
    Let's wait and see.
    luke
    « Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2006, 02:38am by paffendorf »

paffendorf
    « Reply #7 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 03:15am »
    Ladies & gentlemen.... just got delivered my op-up in the lounge..... but they will serve me economy class meal....
    I'm TOO TOO happy, BUT traitors keep to be behind SQ!
    « Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2006, 03:18am by paffendorf »

jhm
    « Reply #8 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 10:18am »
    on Aug 28th, 2006, 03:15am, paffendorf wrote:
    I'm TOO TOO happy

Weren't you telling me on Friday night that you found the CX passengers (and also, I believe, crew) loud/rude ?

Enjoy your flight!

paffendorf
    « Reply #9 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 6:16pm »
    yes i told you crew on CX889 were a little bit rude and loud.
    but an upgrade is an upgrade.

BTW on this leg service was ok, but flight landed 1 hour after scheduled time.
    Catering is ok.... I tried dessert but i didn't like it.
    FAs this time have been more corteous but i still prefer SQ's ones.
Working...
X