X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Metropolitan Airlines View Post
    SQ 247/248 is extending to Wellington 4 times daily
    SQ 291/292 Cancelled
    SQ 288 will run as a triangle route, first stop Sydney then Canberra and then Singapore.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...-daily-flights

Finally Singapore Airlines is listening to the demands of Sydney passengers and adding an evening departure from Sydney which allow us to arrive Singapore in the morning.

I hope Premium Economy is available on this service so that budget premium passengers like myself would be able to enjoy better services on SQ.
    Just for the benefit of those not familiar, how do triangle routes work? Specifically, how does SQ manage the SYD-CBR segment? What flight numbers are used for that? How are passengers travelling between SYD-CBR managed so that they passengers are not travelling exclusively between the two Australian cities and that passengers will not go beyond the segments they will be ticketed for?

Comment

Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
      Just for the benefit of those not familiar, how do triangle routes work? Specifically, how does SQ manage the SYD-CBR segment? What flight numbers are used for that? How are passengers travelling between SYD-CBR managed so that they passengers are not travelling exclusively between the two Australian cities and that passengers will not go beyond the segments they will be ticketed for?
      Silk Air has operated many triangle routes, eg. SIN-DAD-REP-SIN, SIN-CEB-DVO-SIN and I have flown on some of those triangle routes. Basically, the flight number will be the same throughout (SQ 288 for the case of SIN-SYD-CBR-SIN). All passengers will be asked to disembark at the end of every sector and reboard the same plane after clearing transit security or clear immigration at the end of the sector depending on what is printed in the boarding pass. For Silk Air case, the same crews operated all the sector since it is usually within the maximum working hours allowed for the crews. For SQ case, I read that the crews will operate SIN-SYD sector and have a layover in SYD and then flew the SYD-CBR-SIN sectors the following day. From my understanding, SQ cannot ticket SYD-CBR one-way ticket alone. So you gotta buy SIN-SYD on any of the 5 SQ flight number on the route, SYD-CBR on SQ288 and CBR-SYD on SQ288 (which can happen on different days).
      Last edited by davidfusq; 12 June 2018, 11:54 PM. Reason: Corrected the flight number from SQ228 to SQ288

Comment

Originally posted by mst View Post
        Has anyone heard whether SQ is planned to upgrade SIN-MEL-WLG to some newer planes from the old 777-200. They're finally getting them off CHC, but what about WLG?
        The 772 serving CHC is the ER variety. As that set of 772s is in the process of being retired, they need to upgrade CHC. CHC is also just a bit too far to be flown with a regional 772.

As the WLG flight lands and refuels in MEL, it can be served by a regional 772. This set of 772s are not going anywhere in the near future, although it remains to be seen which of their routes will be taken over by other, newer regional aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
          So you gotta buy SIN-SYD on any of the 5 SQ flight number on the route, SYD-CBR on SQ228 and CBR-SYD on SQ228 (which can happen on different days).
          Or SQ288, rather.

Comment

The changed flight has been operating for a few months now and it seems like a good time to share some observations. I have taken the flight a few times and have had a few friends take this a few times too.

When I first took the flight soon after the change I had a look around and first had 1 person out of 4. Business was about half full. Premium economy was about 75-80% and economy looked pretty much packed. The cabin supervisor said that economy was over 90%.

More recently my trips and those of my family and friends have had close to full cabins for business, premium and economy. First still seems to be very low. Ground crew confirmed the loads are high particularly over the weekend. My upcoming bookings look to have good loads into next year based on seat selection availability.

I suspect the yields have been a bit lower as there have been very good prices available. This seems to be improving given the current price is much closer to standard SYD / MEL pricing for business.

I don't have precise numbers on how many passengers originate in SYD / CBR but based on the numbers in the lounge and in the waiting are, there is a substantial amount coming from Canberra. This is in contrast to the Qatar flight where some friends have noted that its only a handful of people in business and around 50 in economy on the Canberra leg. They noted the flight does fill up on the Sydney - Doha legs.

Comment

Anyone know if crew turn around is same day for MEL-WLG-MEL (i.e. crew overnights in MEL vs WLG)?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                Anyone know if crew turn around is same day for MEL-WLG-MEL (i.e. crew overnights in MEL vs WLG)?
                Given the schedule they most likely turn in WLG on the same day.

Michael

Comment

So, it seemed that the last B777-200 flight have come and gone from Wellington, the final 777-200 departed WLG as SQ248 and is headed back to SIN via MEL right now. And it seemed that 9V-SQN had the honours of operating that final SQ 777-200 flight out of WLG.

From Thu 31st Oct onwards the A350-941 would take over the route and with it, WLG will not only get the fully lie-flat business class seats but PE as well. Exciting times for WLG fans/spotters I guess...

Comment

Looks like the Wellington route is finished at the end of October 2020. No flights are being loaded into the NW20/21 season.

Last departure on the route WLG-MEL-SIN is SQ248 at 14:45 on 25OCT20.

In turn, the SIN-MEL-SIN route also loses 5 x A350 flights per week, becomes 4 x daily 77W.

Comment

Originally posted by MainlyMiles View Post
                      Looks like the Wellington route is finished at the end of October 2020. No flights are being loaded into the NW20/21 season.

Last departure on the route WLG-MEL-SIN is SQ248 at 14:45 on 25OCT20.

In turn, the SIN-MEL-SIN route also loses 5 x A350 flights per week, becomes 4 x daily 77W.
                      I’ll be surprised if they’ve just canx WLG without any sort of replacement or announcement, especially given that they promoted WLG quite heavily from the beginning (when they did the Capital Express SIN-CBR-WLG and more recently with the introduction of long haul A350 bringing with it PE. My guess is that given Oct 2020 is still quite a way out SQ may not have firmed up plans for the aircraft for WLG just yet so they may have left it out of the schedule..? Kind of consistent as it seemed MEL losing 5x weekly is due to the “direct loss” of SQ247/248 SIN-MEL-WLG, which could possibly be “reinstated” at a later date...?

In any case I sure hope it won’t be the end of SQ @ WLG
                      Last edited by wlgspotter; 18 November 2019, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wlgspotter View Post
                        I’ll be surprised if they’ve just canx WLG without any sort of replacement or announcement, especially given that they promoted WLG quite heavily from the beginning (when they did the Capital Express SIN-CBR-WLG and more recently with the introduction of long haul A350 bringing with it PE. My guess is that given Oct 2020 is still quite a way out SQ may not have turned up plans for the aircraft for WLG just yet so they may have left it out of the schedule. Kind of consistent as it seemed MEL losing 5x weekly is due to the “direct loss” of SQ247/248 SIN-MEL-WLG, which could possibly be “reinstated” at a later date...?

In any case I sure hope it won’t be the end of SQ @ WLG
                        It seems rather unlikely to me too. They increased from 4 to 5 weekly not long ago which would be rather bizarre to do if the route isn’t profitable. Aside from the question of WLG, MEL went 5x daily during this year’s southern summer and 4x daily simply won't meet demand. No matter when I fly in or out of MEL, the plane is always full. I feel there’s more to come with this story.

Comment

It does seen strange not to load the flights and start selling them if they are going to continue the route, as an equipment change can always be made later if necessary.

Maybe they are finalising a revised schedule, or they don't want to sell more PY seats if they plan to switch to the A350R? Let's see.

Comment

It does seen strange not to load the flights and start selling them if they are going to continue the route, as an equipment change can always be made later if necessary.

Maybe they are finalising a revised schedule, or they don't want to sell more PY seats if they plan to switch to the A350R? Let's see.
                            Actually, I believe the 5th weekly flight is only effective 1st Jan 2020? Seemed SQ247/248 is still at 4x weekly and will increase to 5x weekly on 1st Jan? I'm sure there must be sufficient demand otherwise why add the 5th weekly flight?

Yep makes sense too. In any case I believe (and hope) that SQ @ WLG is perhaps a "wait and see" for now..?

Comment

The 5th flight could be more so for the SIN-MEL-SIN as we know that these sectors are usually have very good to full loads. The add on WLG do not have 5th freedom rights except WLG to SIN.

Comment

No need to speculate so much. the schedule have been loaded for SIN-MEL-WLG for winter 2020

Still A350 long haul version with PE.

Comment

Working...
                                X