MH revises checked baggage policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MH revises checked baggage policy

Not sure when they announced this but it just came to my attention today.
    Effective 28 May 2014, guests are allowed to check-in a maximum of 2 pieces of baggage on any class of travel and a newly revised baggage rate will apply per block concept on Malaysia Airlines’ operated flights. The amount of checked baggage that you can take with you free of charge will vary according to the route, class of travel, terms and conditions of ticket and Enrich tier status.

Excess baggage charges will be levied based on weight pricing for all regions. For our Enrich Silver, Gold and Platinum members, you will still be able to enjoy an extra additional checked-in baggage during your travel. (The maximum baggage rate shall apply in accordance to the tier of membership).

Weight System

Passengers are allowed to check-in a maximum of 2 pieces of baggage on any class of travel

First Class - 2 pieces weighing 50kg in total
    Business Class -2 pieces weighing 40kg in total
    Economy Class - 2 pieces weighing 30kg in total
    Infants - one bag with maximum dimension of 11cm (45 inch), which may be carried as cabin baggage and one fully collapsible baby pushchair or stroller or carrying basket. The weight of the allowed items may not exceed 10 kg (22 lbs) in total.
    A special allowance of 10kg per 10L bottle of ‘ZAM ZAM’ water is allowed to passengers performing ‘Umrah’ and ‘Hajj’ travelling from Jeddah Kuala Lumpur with onward connecting flights.

Additional checked baggage allowance

Enrich Platinum members are allowed an additional 100% extra checked baggage allowance for the respective class of travel.

Enrich Gold members are allowed an additional 50 % extra checked baggage allowance for the respective class of travel.

Enrich Silver members are allowed an additional 5 kg extra checked baggage allowance for the respective class of travel. GRADS are allowed 10 kg additional baggage allowance based on non-promotional fares paid.
    This appears to be a combination of the piece and weight concepts which is rather strange. They're not reducing the weight alloance, but limiting the number of bags which can be checked instead. For passengers who only travel with one or two bags it shouldn't be a problem, but I can imagine it being a problem for those who check in numerous boxes.

It isn't clear if this applies to all passengers departing on or after 28 May, or only for passengers holding tickets issued after 28 May (which is usually the case when airlines change their baggage policies)

I'm also trying to figure out how the extra allowance for Enrich members works. For Plat and Gold members I'm assuming they get an additional 2 and 1 bags PLUS an extra 100% and 50% of the weight allowance respectively. Meaning a Gold member in Y would get 3 bags weighing a total of 45kg. This is my interpretation, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Confusing indeed.

Personally I think a limit of two pieces when travelling in the first and business cabins (and without status) is a little stingy.

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
      Confusing indeed.

Personally I think a limit of two pieces when travelling in the first and business cabins (and without status) is a little stingy.
      Korean Air and ANA has this 2 pieces rule too. JAL allows 3 pieces for Business Class. But the good thing is for each piece they allow 23 kg each. If you bring two 28 inch suitcases, it can go up to 46 kg, which is better than the 30 kg concept. The only thing is you need to bring BIG suitcases, which can be a hassle.

ANA:
      https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/sg/e/asw_c...e/baggage.html

Korean Air:
      First Class:
      3 Pieces (max.32kg/70lb per piece)
      The sum of three dimensions of each piece must be within 158cm/62in
      Prestige Class:
      2 Pieces (max. 32kg/70lb per piece)
      The sum of three dimensions of each piece must be within 158cm/62in.

JAL:
      http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic...#anchorlink002

Comment

Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
        Confusing indeed.

It does not matter for a airline who already lost their creditability.

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
          It does not matter for a airline who already lost their creditability.
          Right. And the airline you rave about that destroyed its FFP, charges for alcoholic drinks on international flights, cut its domestic Y baggage allowance for *G pax and has appaling customer service but still calls itself a full service airline deserves your trust?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
            Right. And the airline you rave about that destroyed its FFP, charges for alcoholic drinks on international flights, cut its domestic Y baggage allowance for *G pax and has appaling customer service but still calls itself a full service airline deserves your trust?
            Clearly not. their annual financial report speak !

Comment

Originally posted by cscs1956 View Post
              Clearly not. their annual financial report speak !
              Indeed, it speaks volumes that they were in the red for years. If that's what you meant, I may actually agree with what you said.

Comment

Working...
              X