KF Gold early renewal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KF Gold early renewal

Does KF Gold allow early renewal (i.e. by 1 month) of membership? E.g. if your status was up on 31 March but you had requaled before 1 March, they would renew your status early?

I remember that PPS Club allowed this (at least back in the mileage/sector points days). Since having been relegated to KF Gold from 2009 onwards, I noticed that KF Gold has been quite religious in only renewing on the actual date (at least for me) even though I normally hit 50k miles months before the actual date.

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
    Does KF Gold allow early renewal (i.e. by 1 month) of membership? E.g. if your status was up on 31 March but you had requaled before 1 March, they would renew your status early?

I remember that PPS Club allowed this (at least back in the mileage/sector points days). Since having been relegated to KF Gold from 2009 onwards, I noticed that KF Gold has been quite religious in only renewing on the actual date (at least for me) even though I normally hit 50k miles months before the actual date.
    You are right that it only renews on the actual anniversary date. All those extra miles beyond 50k ... poof! PPS used to be like that too, now at least the excess goes into a reserve.

Comment

CM, thanks.....that also explains a discussion I have ongoing with KF right now whereby they didn't re-set my account on 51,000miles and only waited until after my next flight which took me close to 55,000

It just makes it harder to requalify the following year, for some of us that are +/- on that 50k annual mileage per year. We need all the little extra we can find.

At least they are offering me......

You have been specially selected to enjoy 50% Bonus Elite Miles when you travel on any Singapore Airlines or SilkAir marketed and operated flight between 01 March 2014 and 31 May 2014.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
        CM, thanks.....that also explains a discussion I have ongoing with KF right now whereby they didn't re-set my account on 51,000miles and only waited until after my next flight which took me close to 55,000

It just makes it harder to requalify the following year, for some of us that are +/- on that 50k annual mileage per year. We need all the little extra we can find.
        Not bad. Some time ago I used to do between 110k-130k a year and Gold was all I could get.

At least they are offering me - You have been specially selected to enjoy 50% Bonus Elite Miles when you travel on any Singapore Airlines or SilkAir marketed and operated flight between 01 March 2014 and 31 May 2014.......
        Hmmm ... how did you get such a wonderful offer?! I don't think I receive any email on this.

Comment

i'm also looking at the prospect of re-qual 2 months ahead of deadline and in excess of 20k miles towards KF, which of cos will poof by deadline.

I'm wondering whether I shd switch to Oneworld carrier (like BA for my regular SIN-SYD) to accrue the 20k miles; what do you all guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
            Hmmm ... how did you get such a wonderful offer?! I don't think I receive any email on this.

Maybe as an incentive to make up the ~7,000 miles I'm short of re-qualification in the next 3months. This is where my discussion on 'lost miles' started with KF.

Anyway, reply from KF is that they are actually looking into my claim, not dismissing it out of hand so we'll see. Legally speaking it is a bit of a grey area;

If you achieve an upgrade to KrisFlyer Elite Gold status, your Elite Gold membership year will begin on the date of your upgrade.

Your KrisFlyer Elite Gold status will be renewed if you earn at least 50,000 Elite miles during your Elite Gold membership year and credit them to your KrisFlyer account.
            As you go from Silver to Gold they reset your miles to zero from ~25,000 AND reset your membership year. Technically they should do the same on renewal (as, from memory, I think CX does on their MPC?) BUT in their terms it says only 'earn at least 50,000miles' during the membership year.

Comment

As you go from Silver to Gold they reset your miles to zero from ~25,000 AND reset your membership year. Technically they should do the same on renewal (as, from memory, I think CX does on their MPC?) BUT in their terms it says only 'earn at least 50,000miles' during the membership year.
              It's not necessarily fair either. If you're Gold from say September, and then you hit 50K by say December, and your Gold gets "renewed" for another 12 months from that date, you basically got short-changed by 8-9 months, no? I think the fair proposal is what they now have for PPS/Solitaire. Allow one to accrue the excess miles/$ into a reserve so that one can tap on it if one falls short in any one year. That way, there would be value placed in every one of your trips with SQ even post 50k.

Or award you a higher number of miles after you go beyond 50K as a reward.

Comment

Not necessarily, because as we know from the other discussion if you hit Silver after a couple of months they still calculate your total for the membership year so if you do, then, hit 50k within that year you're ALSO then given EG.

It happened to me and many others.

EDIT: KF blew off the discussion in the end, confirming excess miles are not carried forward.
                Last edited by scooby5; 5 March 2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                  Or award you a higher number of miles after you go beyond 50K as a reward.
                  Oh BD DC....you are so missed....

Comment

Just curious, what is the motivation for KF status other than redeeming on SQ?

For example, if you join OZ today and fly 40k within X months, your status will last 4 years minus X months (e.g. 3 months to fly 40k = status for 45 months). This is even before we consider the A3*G which seemingly lasts forever after flying 19k.

Given that KF*G has so little over any other *G (and indeed no distinguishable difference at all at the airport), is everyone aiming for KF EG because of redemption?

Comment

To be honest, it is not easy to accrue miles on A3. Most of the cheap fares on other * airlines can't earn miles or accrue only 50%.

I am only keeping SQ Silver mainly so to redeem miles on SQ.

Comment

I'm not specifically motivated for KF Status, but if i get close to Gold there should be a plan for getting it, right? For me it's rather just putting miles into KF for redemption because it's my local program and, more importantly, credit card points can also be tipped into the pot (or AsiaMiles). There aren't a huge number of options available if you want to also add credit card spending into a FFP.

TG has one or two cards here but most go to either KF or AM.

Comment

I've been alerted to the fact that DBS's Altitude card here allows transferring of miles into OZ, which is a bit of a pain to be honest as I've changed credit card strategies over the last couple of years to focus on accruing with SQ after the demise of BD.

Despite it's crappy redemptions, I'm finally pulling the trigger after my KFEG membership year lapses and switching to OZ.

stargold: You also didn't mention that OZ has lifetime *G... which based on some of our flying patterns, could be reached within 2-3 years. Probably 5 years for me...

scooby5: How'd you get that targeted offer??!! Awesome...

Comment

The OZ program is pretty impressive, but their website is second only to SQ for crappiness. How easy, also is making redemptions?

SG based, it's a pity there aren't more choices of credit cards to programs, otherwise I may switch myself.

With regards KF's special offer, I think it was only an incentive for me to book and board some flights to requalify before my membership year expires. Knowing my travel patterns now, they probably see that I hit close to 50k each year and they're trying to reel me in.

They were crafty enough to limit their offer to SQ and MI flights though, and not *A in general. Again they maybe see my more recent history on TG.

Comment

With regards KF's special offer, I think it was only an incentive for me to book and board some flights to requalify before my membership year expires. Knowing my travel patterns now, they probably see that I hit close to 50k each year and they're trying to reel me in.

They were crafty enough to limit their offer to SQ and MI flights though, and not *A in general. Again they maybe see my more recent history on TG.
                              Ah, I remember some very long time ago, they kindly gave me another 2 months to gain the required miles. Now they have gone a tad smarter and entice you to do it NOW! Good for you, I would take as much advantage of it as possible. 50% is a very interesting escalator/incentive! Wish they offer it to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X