No announcement yet.

Weekend in Bhutan: Drukair A319 BKK-DAC-PBH, Chill at Uma Paro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truly awesome! The detail and your description made me feel as though I was also on the trip, and I am now experiencing a heartbeat of 100!

Comment

Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. Me and a couple of friends are actually starting to plan to Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan + Szechuan trip in the coming year

Comment

Originally posted by Bridge2Dream View Post
        Truly awesome! The detail and your description made me feel as though I was also on the trip, and I am now experiencing a heartbeat of 100!
        Thanks for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed it.

Originally posted by zhoux View Post
        Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. Me and a couple of friends are actually starting to plan to Tibet, Nepal, Bhutan + Szechuan trip in the coming year
        That should be some trip!

Some pics would be nice when you're done

Somewhat belatedly, thanks for reading Ex-SIN, Dent@SUB, Megatop, SuperJonJon, ginkoka, Nick C and SQFAN. Your support appreciated!
        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 June 2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

INteresting TR, 9V-SIA. Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
          [B]
          The thing about taking a hike up to Takshang is that ... you aren't.
          You take a hike up to the Tiger's Nest viewpoint, 50m higher, and a canyon away from Takshang.

You can walk up or you can take a pony.
          I recommend the pony because of the altitude.
          Even if you decide to try walking up, bring the pony as backup.
          Because once you start the ascent, and decide you need a ride, no pony!

And don't forget, once you reach Tiger's Nest viewpoint, you have to descend onto the canyon floor, then ascend to Takshang.
          After visiting Takshang, you have to walk down the mountain from Tiger's Nest viewpoint.
          How long does this whole ascent/descent business take?

Can I walk up but use the pony to carry my bag?

Just to confirm that Takshang is a temple? Are there many monks inside? Did you get to see them at their prayers? Why are cameras not allowed?

How long is the trek from Tiger's Nest viewpoint to Takshang? I suppose if there's not much to see in the temple (I'm not a big fan of temples and steep descents), I could cut my trip short and start descending from Tiger's nest viewpoint immediately once I have taken the necessary photos from there?

Are there any camping places in the vicinity?

Punakha Dzong involves lots of driving and

..check point. Compulsory to stop and show your travel documents.
          That's our van. Sit in front as the ride gets choppy over the rear axle.
          From the pictures you have posted, I assume Punakha Dzong is another temple? Same questions again, do you get to witness the monks going about their prayers etc?

Is photography of monks at their prayer services allowed?

Lots of driving and windy roads. It'd be easy to get car sick in these conditions?

We passed Punakha Dzong on our way to our lunch spot, a rafting campsite. In fact, the only rafting campsite in Bhutan.
          The tents were arranged in pairs. Double bed & 2 singles so I guess they are targetting families.
          They have proper (shared) bathrooms at the back.
          You can hear the sound of flowing water in the background

And we had descended from an altitude of 2,530m (Paro) to 1,200m (Punakha).
          The bottled water I had half drunk had collapsed because of the change in pressure.

So what would you pay to stay here?
          You'll be surprised how much it costs!
          Ensuite tents? How much were they?

Did the guide tell you if there were electrical points in these tents? I wonder if there was hot water?

Did the guide tell you about homestays? I wonder if that is basic?

Born to shop! We're talking 2300m high
          Oxygen starved brains can still bargain pretty well
          I get altitude sickness. I think I get the symptoms above 2000m! How high is Paro anyway? Acclimatize for 2 days before venturing out is the best advice? Or should I just take Diamox?

LHR Temp 11 to 23 degrees C. Best time to visit Spring and Autumn

andySYD Visa and air ticket handled by Uma Paro. There are agents in Singapore who organize trips to Bhutan and do everything for you
          I wonder how winter would be like. Less crowds? I wonder if it snows in the Takshang and Punakha Dzong regions?

How long did the visa application take in Singapore?

Was it an organized trip? That is, your friend had organized the whole trip himself and booked it through the agent? It was not a tour group trip, was it? I hate tour groups!

I read that Bhutan is not meant for individual travellers, but can two/three people still arrange a trip via a Bhutan agent? That is we plan all our activities each day, arrange for a private car + driver, and book our stays through the agent? Is the mininum spend per person per day US$160 or something? So long as we satisfy that criteria, surely we can have our own free and easy trip without joining a tour group?

Sorry for firing all these questions at one go. I'm in a mood for arm-chair trip planning at the moment. Most likely come up to nothing since I can't get time away from work at all. But it's still fun to sit and daydream/plan.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            INteresting TR, 9V-SIA. Thanks for sharing.

How long does this whole ascent/descent business take?

Can I walk up but use the pony to carry my bag?

Just to confirm that Takshang is a temple? Are there many monks inside? Did you get to see them at their prayers? Why are cameras not allowed?

How long is the trek from Tiger's Nest viewpoint to Takshang? I suppose if there's not much to see in the temple (I'm not a big fan of temples and steep descents), I could cut my trip short and start descending from Tiger's nest viewpoint immediately once I have taken the necessary photos from there?

Are there any camping places in the vicinity?

From the pictures you have posted, I assume Punakha Dzong is another temple? Same questions again, do you get to witness the monks going about their prayers etc?

Is photography of monks at their prayer services allowed?

Lots of driving and windy roads. It'd be easy to get car sick in these conditions?

Ensuite tents? How much were they?

Did the guide tell you if there were electrical points in these tents? I wonder if there was hot water?

Did the guide tell you about homestays? I wonder if that is basic?

I get altitude sickness. I think I get the symptoms above 2000m! How high is Paro anyway? Acclimatize for 2 days before venturing out is the best advice? Or should I just take Diamox?

I wonder how winter would be like. Less crowds? I wonder if it snows in the Takshang and Punakha Dzong regions?

How long did the visa application take in Singapore?

Was it an organized trip? That is, your friend had organized the whole trip himself and booked it through the agent? It was not a tour group trip, was it? I hate tour groups!

I read that Bhutan is not meant for individual travellers, but can two/three people still arrange a trip via a Bhutan agent? That is we plan all our activities each day, arrange for a private car + driver, and book our stays through the agent? Is the mininum spend per person per day US$160 or something? So long as we satisfy that criteria, surely we can have our own free and easy trip without joining a tour group?

Sorry for firing all these questions at one go. I'm in a mood for arm-chair trip planning at the moment. Most likely come up to nothing since I can't get time away from work at all. But it's still fun to sit and daydream/plan.
            Wah lau.... I barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday
            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 17 August 2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Wah lau.... I barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday
              Alamak. Did not realise you were one of those forgetful Ah Peks too!

After you're done with Wahing and Lauing, you could make yourself comfy in the armchair and try to remember something from your trip. Maybe the Mrs, kids and friends could help you out.

I can't decide between Mongolia or Bhutan. Maybe go to both? Must take time off work. Not sure if it is advisable to go to Mongolia and Bhutan in winter? Not keen to freeze my fingers and butt.

Comment

Frost bite alert...

Comment

Punanka Dzong = Vatican
                  Takshang = Lourdes

No pictures of prayers in Punanka Dzong
                  4 hours to trek up and down Takshang

You won't be able to keep up with the mule carrying your camera.
                  They have to move up in convoys so they don't slow down for you
                  Some in our group didn't make the final descent/ascent to Takshang
                  Steep & narrow steps. Slippery when wet

Take all the pills you need. Car sick and mountain sick possible
                  We were given a full day to acclimatize

Ensuite tents cost USD200 per night.
                  Not really ensuite. They're out at the back.
                  Not sure about camping sites. Bhutan encourages 'high end' tourism
                  though my cousin on cheap 2 week bird watching tour, which might interest you

Winter cold

Visa? Ask travel agent. Everything done for me otherwise I wouldn't bother visiting the place

Today's news: Drukair flying to SIN

Bhutan-S'pore to establish air links
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 23 August 2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Please recommend me your tour agency. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks, 9V-SIA. Really appreciate that you took the trouble to find out all the answers to the questions.

Bird trip sounds good. I read that there are cranes in Bhutan (must find out which region first) over winter. BTW, I won a prize for my crane picture recently.

Comment

Really great report.... thanks so much.

Comment

Working...
                        X