Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on my first flight on A345

First Impressions

Truth be told, it was quite underwhelming walking down the aisle to my seat.
    A vast expanse of J seats.
    Thought it looked like an A320 on steroids.

The Seat

I have been a frequent critic of this seat.
    Too wide so that I can only use one arm rest at a time
    Seat not fully electric, so I had to get up to convert into a bed
    Too little pitch
    I take it all back!

You cannot approach the seat with expectations of an improved SpaceBed.
    It's like comparing a BMW 650 with a Porsche 911. They're different animals.
    On SpaceBed the seat adjusts to your taste. On New Business Class you have to adjust to the seat!
    The way to use the New Business Class seat is to convert it at the earliest opportunity after take-off into the bed, and keep it like that the entire flight till just before landing.
    And use it like your sofa/couch at home (as previously suggested by SQflyergirl.
    This is my first long haul on this seat. Previously tried it around Asia and not as impressed when flying regionally) .

The big plus for me was the uninterrupted sleep I got.
    I got off in Singapore very fresh and put in a full days work without problem.
    Couldn't do that on a SpaceBed!

So...

However, storage space was on the tight side.
    There is a side pocket but it is unusable because it's taken up by the Silverkris magazine, menu, IFE magazine and duty free magazine.

The side storage bin by the window a la A380/77W is missing, presumably to save weight.
    So the newspapers and magazines they come round to offer... no place to put.
    I put them on the foot rest or you can also stack them under the foot rest.

Seats with a full bench to rest your feet? Like row 11 and 14 on the 77W?

All the front rows ie
    Front cabin: Row 11 ADEK
    Middle cabin: Row 19 AK & 18 DF
    Rear cabin: Row 30 ADFK ( where I sat ) & 37F

IFE

Met my expectations.
    Don't like the SQ provided noise canceling headsets
    Too tight and my ears get uncomfortably hot!
    Headphone sockets on chair back both sides was pretty cool

Service

Actually very good and up to SQ J class standard
    But coming from 744 in F....

Lights

I had to add this.
    There were enough lights to light up a Broadway stage!
    Lights either side of the chairback ( dimable ) and from the overhead bin

In conclusion

A great way to fly between SIN and NYC.
    The price is again within reach, down from SIN$10k to $12k.
    Now SIN$7300+

That ends my TR. Thanks for watching

For more TRs on the all biz A345, sQchap and 9V-JKL have also posted.

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5487

http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5496
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 June 2010, 08:35 AM.

Comment

This was a solo flight so I flew what I wanted. But now, my trip in June to NYC
      I decided to hang the expense and repeat the trip with my wife.
      I booked my June flights to NYC last night on SQ website.

SIN-EWR-SIN is significantly cheaper than the JFK flight.

Couldn't ignore the savings so wife and I will be doing the non stop both ways..
      Last edited by 9V-SIA; 21 June 2010, 08:42 AM.

Comment

For me it is a no brainer between the new J and the Spacebed for SIN-NYC.
        However I like the 744 - and I will miss it a lot when it is gone - I would take the EWR flight any day if in J.

I am surprised the JFK flight is now more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
          For me it is a no brainer between the new J and the Spacebed for SIN-NYC.
          However I like the 744 - and I will miss it a lot when it is gone - I would take the EWR flight any day if in J.

I am surprised the JFK flight is now more expensive.
          My bad.

Prices are same.

But I cancelled my SIN-JFK and rebooked SIN-EWR.

Got a big refund because my original booking done in March

Comment

Please let me comment the report although I am a beginner of SQtalk.
            And, please pardon me for my terrible English. I am not speak or write
            English frequently because I am not a native speaker and have littls skills
            about English.

I have been a reader of SQtalk forum for a long time. And I am interested in civil aviation.
            A345 is one of my most favorite aircraft and especially, SIN-US non-stop route has been
            my most favorite and interesting flight before A345 was converted to present configuration.
            For me, SIN-EWR is the best whether A345 is business class or not.

I have ever flown this route for several times. All SIN-EWR flights I have ever taken are
            memorable and impressive for me.

Before I registered the forum, I often enjoy reading articles so much.
            But I could not have a chance to register my account.

When I found this report, I got interested in it. I want to describe my impression,
            so I decided to register my account to SQtalk.

Comparing to other SQ new business-class flight (A380 and 77W), it seems that
            we have few chances to see flight report or articles about A345 converted to
            all-business class, I think. (About another SQ upper class, Suite or First, I also
            think so.)

This year is 5th anniversary year of A345 and SIN-US non-stop flight.
            February was the anniversary of SIN-LAX non-stop flight. In June, SIN-EWR route
            is going to have 5th one. I am glad to be able to read another flight report of
            present A345 in this memorable year. I enjoyed it so much.

And more, I was surprised to see the picture of inflight meal for SQ21.
            Because I flew this route in this spring, and I ate these dishes.

I am looking forward to see the next report, if 9V-SIA kindly write it to us.

Comment

Originally posted by aki View Post
              Please let me comment the report although I am a beginner of SQtalk.
              And, please pardon me for my terrible English. I am not speak or write
              English frequently because I am not a native speaker and have littls skills
              about English.

I have been a reader of SQtalk forum for a long time. And I am interested in civil aviation.
              A345 is one of my most favorite aircraft and especially, SIN-US non-stop route has been
              my most favorite and interesting flight before A345 was converted to present configuration.
              For me, SIN-EWR is the best whether A345 is business class or not.

I have ever flown this route for several times. All SIN-EWR flights I have ever taken are
              memorable and impressive for me.

Before I registered the forum, I often enjoy reading articles so much.
              But I could not have a chance to register my account.

When I found this report, I got interested in it. I want to describe my impression,
              so I decided to register my account to SQtalk.

Comparing to other SQ new business-class flight (A380 and 77W), it seems that
              we have few chances to see flight report or articles about A345 converted to
              all-business class, I think. (About another SQ upper class, Suite or First, I also
              think so.)

This year is 5th anniversary year of A345 and SIN-US non-stop flight.
              February was the anniversary of SIN-LAX non-stop flight. In June, SIN-EWR route
              is going to have 5th one. I am glad to be able to read another flight report of
              present A345 in this memorable year. I enjoyed it so much.

And more, I was surprised to see the picture of inflight meal for SQ21.
              Because I flew this route in this spring, and I ate these dishes.

I am looking forward to see the next report, if 9V-SIA kindly write it to us.
              First of all, welcome to SQTalk, aki.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the TR.

I will try to write another report for my upcoming trip in June, this time SIN-EWR-SIN.

BTW I love visiting Japan and recently came back from viewing the cherry blossoms in Kyoto.

Thought of posting a TR but the flying part wasn't very interesting ( SQ 772 ), but Kyoto was fabulous!

Comment

Working...
              X