Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Babies And A Man

Introduction

As my "babies" grow up, it's getting harder to take family holidays now that 2 are attending US colleges.

The only time we can all take a holiday together is in June & December.

With this is mind, my wife began planning our June holidays at the start of the year.

Hotels and restaurants were extensively researched from information gleaned from food and travel blogs. Finally everything was set.

Then two weeks before the trip, she fell and hurt her ankle. Surgery was required and she would have to use crutches / wheelchair for 6 weeks.

Should we proceed? After all, there was a blog by someone who toured Spain in a wheelchair.

Should we cancel? Wait till she recovers.

Eventually we decided that I would bring the kids without her.

I have 3 friends who have had to use crutches and they all advised against undertaking the trip on crutches.

If this travel window was missed, that's it. No family holiday as internships had been arranged for July / August.

So here we are about to board 9V-SWL. Very mixed feelings leaving my wife behind....

Push back, on schedule, from A5

Take off followed by turn towards the Northern Hemisphere...

Warm nuts after take off..

Supper soon after..

Malossol caviar with foie gras and sauteed apple

Maine lobster with celeriac-crabmeat salad and lemon dressing

Chicken soup with snow fungus and black mushrooms

BTC Wagyu Sirloin with Eringi Mushroom, nice change from US 8oz rib eye steak

That's all I ate before settling down to some shut eye

Heading west ( as usual waking up as we reach the Caspian Sea )...

Daybreak finds us over Europe..

Occupancy was 4/8 in F

Still full from supper, I have the fruit platter..

..and BTC Yu Pian Mi Fen for breakfast. The steam from the soup humidifies the air so it tastes better in the dry cabin air

So where do you think we're headed?

Warning: I may not have the energy to finish this TR but I'll try!
    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 September 2012, 10:54 AM.

I'm guessing...Espana?
    F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Looking forward to the update! My wife and I also had a great trip there in May. Hope your wife is recovering well.

Comment

I'm assuming this is NOT shot with the LX7.
        HUGE AL

Comment

r
          Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
          I'm guessing...Espana?
          Come to think of it, not many places in Europe 77W flies to these days.

Wonder if SQ's bottom line would have been better operating 77W twice daily to CDG and ZRH.

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Hope your wife is recovering well.
          We're restarting dance lessons next week! And we'll be going to BCN again next year.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
          I'm assuming this is NOT shot with the LX7.
          I've been disappointed with the LX5 in low light conditions. Hopefully the brighter lens of the LX7 will be an improvement.

Also I'm having problems with the new Photobucket editing functions. TR suspended until I learn how to shrink my pictures
          Last edited by 9V-SIA; 3 September 2012, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hooray! Another 9V-SIA TR

Glad that the Mrs is all healthy again!

Comment

I was sad to know that this TR started with leaving injured Mrs 9V-SIA behind...

9V-SIA wrote;We're restarting dance lessons next week! And we'll be going to BCN again next year.

Now I am happy. Best wishes for Mrs 9V-SIA's quick recovery.
              From now on, I can concentrate on your ongoing TR

Comment

Ahhh.... my fav is back...
                Nice beginning, Sir...
                Waiting for the rest...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                  Hooray! Another 9V-SIA TR

Glad that the Mrs is all healthy again!
                  Originally posted by sushiinSYD View Post
                  I was sad to know that this TR started with leaving injured Mrs 9V-SIA behind...

9V-SIA wrote;We're restarting dance lessons next week! And we'll be going to BCN again next year.

Now I am happy. Best wishes for Mrs 9V-SIA's quick recovery.
                  From now on, I can concentrate on your ongoing TR

Originally posted by Dent@SUB View Post
                  Ahhh.... my fav is back...
                  Nice beginning, Sir...
                  Waiting for the rest...
                  Thanks my friends

Sorry for the delay. I'm actually enjoying an indian summer in UK this past week. To continue...

I love this stretch of southern Europe and I've flown it often enough on the way to BCN to recognize some landmarks. Can someone help identify?

Heading towards BCN, just before Marseille. This runway that extends into a lake

Looks like a fortress during medieval times

OK this is easy.. Marseille

First appearance of the Spanish coastline

Flight hugs the coastline till the familiar W Barcelona comes into view

Hola!

I was to see a lot of the 77W at BCN on this trip!

Quite a long line at immigration. But the bags take a long time arriving at BCN from past experience so no worries. Limo waiting to bring us to the hotel
                  Last edited by 9V-SIA; 8 September 2012, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Saturday: Check in Hotel Monte Carlo

I have written a TR on BCN here...

SIN-MXP-BCN

So only new stuff in this TR starting with hotel.

Originally I'd booked Hotel Omm:
                    • I prefer its location
                    • Priority to its restaurant Moo

However, our booking for a restaurant in Girona came through so our stay in BCN was shortened by one day

A shorter stay in BCN meant that a more central location was needed: The Ramblas

Hotel Monte Carlo comes highly recommended in TripAdvisor and I concur

On the Ramblas...

..right across the road from the much more expensive Le Meridien

Basic living room leading to...

..bedroom which I shared with my son

Nice big bathroom with everything

I like the reading lights a la SpaceBed

But the piece de resistance is the fully adjustable bed! Never been to a hotel with one before

With the Ramblas in front & Barri Gotic behind, the hotel is more central than hotels on my past visits.

Downside is the noise from Las Ramblas despite triple glazing. The noise doesn't settle down till 4-5am. Forgot my ear plugs
                    Last edited by 9V-SIA; 12 September 2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Wow, 9V-SIA, great start to the TR. Was also in BCN in May, love the place, but loved the smaller cities more. Looking forward to the rest of the TR.

Comment

Saturday: Meal Times

Wow, 9V-SIA, great start to the TR. Was also in BCN in May, love the place, but loved the smaller cities more. Looking forward to the rest of the TR.
                        Thanks. Welcome to add your own pics here.

One problem I find arriving in BCN so early in the morning is that the room is not ready.

So we went out for breakfast: hot chocolate and churros in my regular haunt, featured in my other BCN TR.

It's right behind the hotel in Carrer De Petritxol so much easier to get to than previous hotels I stayed in. Kids love it.

After breakfast, our rooms were still not ready. So when the shops opened I brought the girls shopping around Placa De Sant Jaume ( again, close to the hotel ).

The boys waited for them in Orio ( again, featured in first TR ), enjoying brunch. Basque style tapas, meaning ingredients on baguette.

Omelete...

Salmon...

They're better than they look!

Finally the rooms were ready so after checking in, we walked up Passeig De Gracia to Moo for lunch.

The Menu

Cold fennel cream with a herring caviar

Golden egg - a signature dish

Dublin bay prawn rice with saffron

Hake with basil and vegetables

"Poularde" meatball stuffed with foie

Chocolates of the world - a favourite with the kids

I haven't included some amuse bouche at the start of the meal.

After a great lunch, photo opportunities as we walk back to the hotel down Passeig De Gracia...

In front of Casa Milà...

... and Casa Batlló

So quite a busy first day in BCN
                        Last edited by 9V-SIA; 14 September 2012, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Nice one KL

Comment

Wow! The tapas looks scrumptious! I only found good ones in San Sebastian! Drats, must go back again.

Comment

Sunday: Segway Tours

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                              Nice one KL

Wow! The tapas looks scrumptious! I only found good ones in San Sebastian! Drats, must go back again.
                              The last post documents my first 6 hours in BCN!!! To continue...

The next morning, one of the differences from my previous trips

Just down the slope from the shop is our training area. First time on Segway for all of us but easy to pick up

Once confident of riding the Segway, we head for Port Vell then onwards to Barceloneta.

Posing at the W end of the beach.. ( bet you didn't know Viena had a beach )

Heading towards Port Olimpic

At Port Olimpic

Looking back at Port Vell

I recommend taking first tour ( 9am ) on Sunday morning. I imagine the paths get quite crowded later in the day. We were flying!!!

Sorry. TR suspended until I get a reply from Photobucket as to why I am unable to resize some pictures but others I can. Same camera, same memory card
                              Last edited by 9V-SIA; 14 September 2012, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X