BTC - Pictures collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kyo
    Really bizarre to hear that, one wonders how Ya Kun Kaya Toast would survive there
    Does Ya Kun have a branch in the US?! Pray tell where. It would be a nice break from the standard American b/f.

Originally posted by HUGE AL
    Don't know where you're eating, but this is not true at all...
    Many of the places where I eat breakfasts (mostly hotels) tend to serve scrambled eggs. And when I do ask for sunny-side up, they would put it into a griller after they fried it, to cook the top. Ends up the yolk is fairly firm unlike the runny style that I prefer. I've also not seen an airline serve a sunny-side up (perhaps I'm not in F ). When McDonalds cook their McMuffin, the egg is thoroughly done, eventhough they try to make it look like a fried eggs.

Not true.. plenty of places like Ihop would do sunny-side-up or over easy. Never seen soft boil eggs in the US yet though.
    Haven't eaten at an Ihop yet. I need to clarify I'm not saying that there're absolutely no establishment in the US that serves runny eggs. That would be a absolutely incorrect. One of my favourite b/f places is Houston's Buffalo Grill and they do serve easy done sunny-side up and of course their signature crispy peppered bacon. The other place would be the Waffle House chains. The commonality in both these places is that "healthy" food is definitely not on the menu. Or perhaps, they get "cleaner" eggs?

Indeed my exposure to American food is not all that wide, and I do stand corrected.

On a side note, I read here that the FDA is a tad more conservative in their recommendation on cooking eggs than what is practiced in Singapore (and Italy for their Tiramisu?). There's an inference that eggs ought to be treated similarly like raw chicken. Any professional/trained chefs here?

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
      Does Ya Kun have a branch in the US?! Pray tell where. It would be a nice break from the standard American b/f.
      No idea, but if Din Tai Fung can do it, why not?

I know Papparoti is taking Brisbane by storm... and other parts of Oz also!

Comment

• Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
        Many reputed establishments in the US will resist cooking sunny-side-up or a soft-boiled eggs lest there's a salmonella outbreak. Over here, the runnier the better ...
        Din know about that. So far, no establishment has said no to me when I order sunny side up =p

Comment

• LOL CarbonMan, you're creating quite a ruckus here -- which is awesome!

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
          Any professional/trained chefs here?
          I AM professionally trained and can tell you that most cooks (I disagree with the term "chef" unless you've totally earned it under the French guidelines) do not listen to the FDA.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          No idea, but if Din Tai Fung can do it, why not?
          The DTF in Arcadia was established by the son who was pissed that other restaurants were utilizing the DTF name. While the recipes are the same, it remains independent from the corporate structure -- despite its reference on their website.
          HUGE AL

Comment

• Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            LOL CarbonMan, you're creating quite a ruckus here -- which is awesome!
            HUGE AL, I can give you a ruckus anytime over a good couple of runny

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            I AM professionally trained and can tell you that most cooks (I disagree with the term "chef" unless you've totally earned it under the French guidelines) do not listen to the FDA.
            I'm very happy that many of you don't - otherwise I'll miss not only my runny , but also my blood cockles.

Comment

• Originally posted by kt74 View Post
              Mmmm, I'd say I prefer the MAS nasi lemak - in economy too. They serve with proper ikan bilis and prawn sambal, rather than chicken. See photos here:
              http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/cont...f-menu-biz.pdf

Controversially, I also much prefer the MAS satay - it is rich and sticky and meaty, but also just burnt and caramelised enough. SQ satay is often tougher and the sauce is more watery - just my experience!

MH is not nearly as good as SIA on so many dimensions, but when it comes to local food they cannot be beaten in my experience. For SQ stick to Western or Straits Chinese - e.g. BTC chicken rice if you want a taste of home
              i never tried MH satay, but i think SQ satay is very good already! Super meaty, very little fat and the satay suace is thick and tasty.

will have to try MH one day to compare

Comment

• Beef Sukiyaki - excellent taste, beef sliced very thin, tender, lots of onions and some cabbage. Ex-LAX on SQ37

Comment

• I've not seen Sam Leong's Steamed Herbal Chicken on this forum, has anyone tried this BTC dish before?

Comment

• Kyo Kaiseki on SQ231 SIN-SYD in Suites on 11 January 2014.

Comment

• BTC on SIN-TPE in Nov 2013
                      Chargrilled Soya-Flavoured Beef
                      Japanese-style beef, vegetables simmered in mirin, and shimeiji mushroom rice. Designed by Singapore Airlines International Culinary Panel Chef Yoshihiro Murata

Lobster Thermidor
                      Lobster tail sautéed in butter, flambéed in brandy, sprinkled with cheese, and served with creamy mushroom sauce, garlic and spicy mustard, and buttered asparagus

BTC on TPE-SIN in Nov 2013
                      Beef tournedo on red wine sauce topped with crab meat ragout
                      Beef tournedo on red wine sauce topped with crab meat ragout/duchess potatoes and sauteed vegetables.

Comment

• I have to say that the Lobster Thermidor is really excellent, and despite it being a shellfish keeps very well. Last night due to a very late departure of SQ62, I decided to skip this BTC, as I was very tired. The stewardess suggested she would keep it chilled till I woke up. Lo and and behold, 8 hours into the flight the lobster was still succulent and delicious at lunch time. I couldn't be more thankful to her for making the suggestion.

Comment

• Originally posted by eminere™ View Post
                          Kyo Kaiseki on SQ231 SIN-SYD in Suites on 11 January 2014.
                          did it taste good? i would imagine this meal to be very expensive!

Comment

• Originally posted by bent View Post
                            did it taste good? i would imagine this meal to be very expensive!
                            It did indeed! The presentation as you can see was standout. I particularly liked the cold noodles and the ikura don.

Comment

• Pappardelle with Seafood ex-SIN
                              Lobster, scallop and salmon in a mushroom, sun-dried tomatoes and seafood broth, with al dente pappardelle pasta

Quite a good dish, goes well with a glass of Riesling. Seafood cooked nicely, pasta perfectly al dente, though a bit more sauce might have made it slightly more palatable. Good alternative to the Lob Thermidor

Comment

• New 2014 First Class BTC

Confit of Duck Leg
                                Slow cooked marinated duck leg with mushroom risotto and shaved parmesan cheese

Very gigantic portion. Tender and soft too. Overall not bad but still does not pack the super oomph of what a confit of duck leg should be. Or may be I had too high expectation for an airplane meal. Anyway, IMO, worth trying once.

Comment

Working...
                                X