T3 Goes Live: Impressions of T3 and the SQ Lounges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
    I heard the new "yet to open" lounge is only for paid F and R paxs only. Paxs on F redemption, F classes on Star Alliance, SIN-KUL F class on SQ and LPPS travelling on other classes other than F will not be allowed in. This is subjected to confirmation.
    As much as I applaud SQ for doing this for its most premium passengers, the selfishness in me can't help but think that being a Solitaire is now like a 2nd class citizen for SQ. It does feel like that SQ will continue to care less and less for their loyal Solitaire passengers.

If CX, LH, and QF would all allow their highest tier customers access to their most premium lounges, why would SQ decide to exclude its TPPs or LPPs from its most premium lounge?

Also, I hope SQ would not be so crazy as to exclude its F paxs on redemption ticket from this special lounge. Being on F redemption should not strip away a passenger's rights to enjoy a premium F class treatment. If SQ see redemption as liability, then I suggest it should stop the Krisflyer program now and see for itself if its loyal customers are indeed its liabilities or its assets.
    Last edited by UMD; 10 January 2008, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Exellent pics and report, Carfield. Really makes me eager for my next trip to SIN.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
        Also, I hope SQ would not be so crazy as to exclude its F paxs on redemption ticket from this special lounge. Being on F redemption should not strip away a passenger's rights to enjoy a premium F class treatment.
        I agree. You've paid for that ticket too - with miles.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

As much as I applaud SQ for doing this for its most premium passengers, the selfishness in me can't help but think that being a Solitaire is now like a 2nd class citizen for SQ. It does feel like that SQ will continue to care less and less for their loyal Solitaire passengers.

If CX, LH, and QF would all allow their highest tier customers access to their most premium lounges, why would SQ decide to exclude its TPPs or LPPs from its most premium lounge?

Also, I hope SQ would not be so crazy as to exclude its F paxs on redemption ticket from this special lounge. Being on F redemption should not strip away a passenger's rights to enjoy a premium F class treatment. If SQ see redemption as liability, then I suggest it should stop the Krisflyer program now and see for itself if its loyal customers are indeed its liabilities or its assets.
          I agree.

I haven't yet got the chance to use the new terminal myself, but from the pictures I must say that the SKL F is not that impressive. I particularly don't like the side-by-side seats layout that are commonly used in crowded LAX lounges. Doesn't look very 'First Class'.

Seems like SQ ground products are set to be just so so for years to come.

Thanks for the report & pictures, Carfield!

Comment

A T3 PROBLEM for tourists: *train tickets*

The problem is that to buy a ticket for the MRT at T3, you need SIN currency COINS or bills of less than $5. There is no ticket booth/person to take money, and the machines do not accept credit cards, or larger notes.

I arrived at T3 today - from SYD - and yes, the terminal is spectacularly lovely.. the immigration hall/baggage hall is open and airy, and just very peaceful. You pick-up your luggage, follow the sign for the train, and go down the escalator.. only to meet barriers, and no way to buy a train ticket if you don't have low denomination SIN currency. And how many tourists have that on the moment they arrive. Most currency excahnges give SIN $10 at the lowest. And the ticket machines refused to gobble them.

So, you have to return up the escalators into T3, and transfer through to T2.. then down the escalators again... all with all your heavy baggage, after a long flight. And then you can queue at the ticket booth to buy a ticket.

Solution: Allow credit cards in the machines on the T3 side.

Anyone with any connections that could feed this back to the management - or is there a method by which I could do that?

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
              A T3 PROBLEM for tourists: *train tickets*

The problem is that to buy a ticket for the MRT at T3, you need SIN currency COINS or bills of less than $5. There is no ticket booth/person to take money, and the machines do not accept credit cards, or larger notes.

I arrived at T3 today - from SYD - and yes, the terminal is spectacularly lovely.. the immigration hall/baggage hall is open and airy, and just very peaceful. You pick-up your luggage, follow the sign for the train, and go down the escalator.. only to meet barriers, and no way to buy a train ticket if you don't have low denomination SIN currency. And how many tourists have that on the moment they arrive. Most currency excahnges give SIN $10 at the lowest. And the ticket machines refused to gobble them.

So, you have to return up the escalators into T3, and transfer through to T2.. then down the escalators again... all with all your heavy baggage, after a long flight. And then you can queue at the ticket booth to buy a ticket.

Solution: Allow credit cards in the machines on the T3 side.

Anyone with any connections that could feed this back to the management - or is there a method by which I could do that?

That is a pain. I am surprised SMRT corp did not think about this before. You can provide feedback to SMRT corporation in Singapore at the following email:

corpcomms@smrt.com.sg

Comment

That is a pain. I am surprised SMRT corp did not think about this before. You can provide feedback to SMRT corporation in Singapore at the following email:

corpcomms@smrt.com.sg
                Thanks.. will send an email now.

Comment

Excellent observation, McCoy--obviously an oversight on SMRT's part. Hope they correct this issue quickly.

Comment

i agree with everything you say UMD. The thing is, if you are a solitaire, you have already proven yourself to be SQ's "most premium passengers" over a very long period of time, and you should be treated accordingly. Denying access would be a slap in the face to a customer that has given an exorbitant amount of business to your company, and profits to your bottom line.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      You've paid for that ticket too - with miles.
                      Hmmm ... I'm of two minds about the last part of that sentence. Not all miles are equally lucrative to SQ. I refer to bonus or COS miles on non-SQ flights particularly. But I guess it would be infeasible, and probably illegal, under *A rules to distinguish between KrisFlyer and non-KF redemptions. (I'm personally thankful LH isn't as draconian with FCT access.)

I agree with UMD, StarG and taipeiflyer, however, that Solitaires are being given short shrift. I also agree with Lobster and you that at some point, SQ should perhaps drop the charade; withdraw from *A; and axe KrisFlyer, so I can stop getting bent out of shape by the enhancements .

Well done, SQ and SIN, for the timely opening of T3 and the investments in travellers' comfort. (But thumbs down to SQ for such relentless focus on current SQ revenue. I guess SQ is betting that in in any future downturn, such slights will be forgotten or forgiven.)
                      Last edited by jjpb3; 11 January 2008, 06:51 AM.
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Hmmm ... I'm of two minds about the last part of that sentence. Not all miles are equally lucrative to SQ.
                        Sorry if I'm not making sense in this post... almost comatose now after an overnight flight with no sleep...

Similarly not all F tickets are equally lucrative - differing fare buckets, point of origin, RTW tix etc. My point was that a redemption ticket still came at a cost to the passenger, and is as much an investment (financial/emotional etc) on the part of the pax to SQ products as commercial tickets. But I guess your last 2 sentences summed up SQ's priorities...
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Sorry if we're taking the thread somewhat off-topic, but I completely agree with you and with KeithMEL (I think ) on this point. Passengers using miles to redeem tickets or upgrades on or to a certain class should receive exactly the same treatment as someone paying the full fare on that class, IMHO. If not, then the airline should clearly spell this out upfront--e.g., a redeemed upgrade from C is not really to F, but to a class somewhere in between. I think adopting such a policy will greatly devalue accrued miles and will also likely anger and turn off a lot of revenue-generating passengers, including me.

Comment

Thanks for the pictures and write up, Carfield.

What about the windows/views from both lounges, do both have tarmac views ?. I can't tell from the pics.

I'm afraid they've made it quite clear what they think of our loyalty with the changes last year. They don't really about TPP's and even less for QPP's. They showed this by not being happy enough with vastly reducing numbers in the SKL F post 1 September, they had to nick the Dom from there as well, despite the reduced access to the place.

I'm going through T3 this weekend and looking forward to checking it out. I'll probably take some pics as usual but won't bother putting them up, as usual.

Comment

Tarmac view

Thanks for the update! I am shocked that SQ even thinks about putting redeem or upgrade F class passengers on a separate lounge. I agree with KeithMEL, an award first class ticket is not FREE by any means because we still need to fly much on SQ or other Star Alliance partners or use much money on a SQ related credit card... or whatever means.

About the third lounge, it will just create much confusion and I can't imagine the nightmare that the ground agents have to deal with.

On the F section, your view is limited to the pier of A gates (A1-A8)... and some farway views for aircraft parked at gate A1 to A8.

Anyway, I don't think all parts of the lounge is opened yet and the ground staff is still learning about the facilities.

About meeting rooms, there are at least two meeting/conference rooms at the J section.

Carfield

Comment

yes there are self-cooking stations set up at the F section...

Carfield

Comment

Working...
                                X