SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Singapore & Changi Airport

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2011, 12:46 PM   #31
flying.monkeyz
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 01-Nov-2010
Posts: 649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
I will leave that to the airport planners to best optimise the available space. Probably reconfiguration of taxiways will be needed for a satellite concourse to be build. The other alternative is to split up existing sections wide-bodied gates into multiple narrow-bodied gates (4WB -> 6NB?). No doubt the turnaround times are short for AK but they still use wide-bodied gates at times.
The layout at SIN does not cater for buildings to be erected in between terminals and the runways, so unless they physically move the runways we can pretty much rule out satellite concourses.

The next available piece of land is between RWY 02C / 20C and RWY 02R / 20L, and that is definitely too big and too far away for a satellite concourse. I see a new terminal being built there in years to come and they better build fast!

With regards to splitting exiting gates into multiple narrowbodied gates, it will involve a lot of rework to existing aerobridges (compare Changi and KLIA on Googlemaps). It will also mean that there'll be no more space for ground support equipment so I don't think it's gonna happen.

Last edited by flying.monkeyz; 19th September 2011 at 01:12 PM..
flying.monkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 03:32 PM   #32
Nick C
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 28-Mar-2008
Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 1,907
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
The layout at SIN does not cater for buildings to be erected in between terminals and the runways, so unless they physically move the runways we can pretty much rule out satellite concourses.
Here's a hypothetical layout of a satellite concourse with 6 A320 sized bays but this will mean a loss of a high speed taxiway. Purely academic. Even so, the current BT can be leveled and replaced with a satellite concourse linked to T2 via underground people movers.



Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
The next available piece of land is between RWY 02C / 20C and RWY 02R / 20L, and that is definitely too big and too far away for a satellite concourse. I see a new terminal being built there in years to come and they better build fast!
We only have so much land allocated to aviation. We cannot just keep constructing more and more half utilized terminals. It's inevitable we will need to optimize utilisation the day we run out of land for construction of new terminals. The Concept Plans & Master Plans from URA have only a zoned a small area for T4. Much of the land has been earmarked for industrial use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying.monkeyz View Post
With regards to splitting exiting gates into multiple narrowbodied gates, it will involve a lot of rework to existing aerobridges (compare Changi and KLIA on Googlemaps). It will also mean that there'll be no more space for ground support equipment so I don't think it's gonna happen.
Well, the market dynamics are changing. The growth of traffic in the recent years have been attributed to the LCCs operating narrowbodies. I doubt many of these LCCs will go to widebodies anytime in the near term for the regional hops. Makes perfect sense for investment for such a move.

Last edited by Nick C; 19th September 2011 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling :)
Nick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 08:26 PM   #33
wsssaero
SQTalk PPS Club
 
wsssaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-May-2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C View Post
I will leave that to the airport planners to best optimise the available space. Probably reconfiguration of taxiways will be needed for a satellite concourse to be build. The other alternative is to split up existing sections wide-bodied gates into multiple narrow-bodied gates (4WB -> 6NB?). No doubt the turnaround times are short for AK but they still use wide-bodied gates at times.
They could possibly turn the entire T1 central apron into NB gates...but I certainly hope they don't, the few WB a/c that use T1 central apron go a long way to spice up a boring day of seeing endless streams of AirAsia and Jetstar.
wsssaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 08:29 PM   #34
sealalula
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 30-Dec-2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 444
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsssaero View Post
the few WB a/c that use T1 central apron go a long way to spice up a boring day of seeing endless streams of AirAsia and Jetstar.
As well as the people visiting the viewing mall
sealalula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 04:12 PM   #35
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Location: All the wrong places...
Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Posts: 6,501
Default

Tiger just received another two aircraft. Loads of room at the Budget Terminal now.

I knew BKK was doing well for them, but I didn't realise they were currently 3 times a day to SGN going to 4 flights a day!.

Quote:
Tiger Airways’ Singapore fleet had reached a milestone 20 aircraft with the addition of two new Airbus A320-232 planes from the Airbus delivery centre in Toulouse.

This increase is in line with the group’s overall plans to grow its total fleet to 68 aircraft by December 2015.

The additional aircraft will increase capacity to some of Asia’s leading destinations including Bangkok (from 28 to 31 times a week), Ho Chi Minh City (from 21 to 28 times a week), Tiruchirapalli (from 7 to 11 times a week), Guangzhou and Taipei (both from 7 to 10 times a week).

The expanded fleet will also allow Tiger Airways to fly to new routes including Bangalore, Cebu and Davao.

“These additional aircraft will fuel the expansion of our business in Singapore. We have flown over 21 million passengers since our inaugural flight in September 2004, and we are now one of the top three airlines by passenger numbers from Changi Airport. With these aircraft, we are well placed to grow these volumes even further,” said Stewart Adams, Managing Director of Tiger Airways Singapore.
__________________
Incheon : Connected to the world, cut-off from Korea
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 06:09 PM   #36
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
ycp81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-Apr-2007
Location: Singapore
Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich
Posts: 2,443
Default

10 gates at Budget Terminal, 20 aircrafts. Hmm...
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2011, 06:44 PM   #37
sealalula
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 30-Dec-2009
Location: Singapore
Posts: 444
Default

No wonder I'm seeing tiger aircraft parking at T1 gates.
sealalula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 02:19 AM   #38
sabian
SQTalk PPS Club
 
Join Date: 26-May-2008
Posts: 294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ycp81 View Post
10 gates at Budget Terminal, 20 aircrafts. Hmm...
You mean the there's 1 gate at T2 or T3 for every SQ bird?

With the tight turnaround for TR, would most of their birds be in the air most of the time?
sabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 03:02 AM   #39
viraj735
SQTalk PPS Club
 
viraj735's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-Oct-2008
Location: Singapore
Programs: SQ*G TP, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat
Posts: 540
Default

I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 or 8 of those gates occupied at any given time.
__________________
The world's too large a place not to go wandering.
viraj735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 04:54 AM   #40
MAN Flyer
SQTalk Founder
 
Join Date: 31-Oct-2006
Location: All the wrong places...
Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG Life Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Posts: 6,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealalula View Post
No wonder I'm seeing tiger aircraft parking at T1 gates.
They are regularly having to tow them around to the BT, thus causing delays.

Are those SQ 777's earmarked for their LCC still parked next to it ?. That was causing some annoyance I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabian View Post
With the tight turnaround for TR, would most of their birds be in the air most of the time?
True, but with many of them doing short hops, as opposed to SQ's birds disappearing for hours or days at a time, they are back in pretty short order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj735 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 or 8 of those gates occupied at any given time.
So at times 70-80% full already, with their main occupant to all but quadruple it's fleet over the next couple of years. I don't know why TR are bothering Changi about this then.
__________________
Incheon : Connected to the world, cut-off from Korea
MAN Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 12:32 PM   #41
9V-JKL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2
 
9V-JKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-Nov-2006
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Are those SQ 777's earmarked for their LCC still parked next to it ?. That was causing some annoyance I believe.
4 as of this morning
9V-JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 01:32 PM   #42
SilverChris
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS
 
Join Date: 26-Mar-2010
Location: YVR/KUL
Posts: 2,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj735 View Post
I don't think I've ever seen more than 7 or 8 of those gates occupied at any given time.
That was the mistake KUL made. When they built the current LCCT and moved AirAsia there, they didn't really think more than 4 or 5 years ahead.

They waited for it to be operating way beyond capacity before thinking "Hmm.. I *think* we need a new terminal"
SilverChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 02:17 PM   #43
wsssaero
SQTalk PPS Club
 
wsssaero's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-May-2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 507
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Are those SQ 777's earmarked for their LCC still parked next to it ?. That was causing some annoyance I believe.
I don't think the SQ 777's going to their LCC have been pulled from SQ service yet. Every time I pass by the BT I see different SIA 777s there, and sometimes A333s too.
wsssaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 03:02 PM   #44
9V-JKL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2
 
9V-JKL's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-Nov-2006
Posts: 4,435
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsssaero View Post
Every time I pass by the BT I see different SIA 777s there, and sometimes A333s too.
That's right. I pass there most weekday mornings and it always changes
9V-JKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2011, 03:38 PM   #45
lingua101
SQTalk Solitaire PPS
 
lingua101's Avatar
 
Join Date: 18-Aug-2009
Location: Singapore
Programs: Royal Orchid Plus
Posts: 1,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick C View Post

We only have so much land allocated to aviation. We cannot just keep constructing more and more half utilized terminals. It's inevitable we will need to optimize utilisation the day we run out of land for construction of new terminals. The Concept Plans & Master Plans from URA have only a zoned a small area for T4. Much of the land has been earmarked for industrial use.
how about reclaim nearby islands and build a new airport there? is it a possibility? like u said there is so much land that u can have in mainland
lingua101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Airside transport from budget terminal to t2 / t3 khanomjeen Singapore & Changi Airport 4 22nd January 2011 10:06 AM
Berjaya Air to move from Seletar to Changi's Budget Terminal MAN Flyer Singapore & Changi Airport 7 19th August 2010 04:23 AM
Airside shuttle buses to aid transfers between budget terminal and KLIA jadivindra Other Airlines 4 21st July 2010 02:18 AM
Budget Terminal Connection & Left Luggage Question Kham Singapore & Changi Airport 8 22nd June 2009 07:39 PM
Fire at Malaysia budget terminal kpc Small Talk 2 9th January 2009 05:02 PM


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Techadmin: Luke | Hosting: www.lomag.net