SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > General > Singapore & Changi Airport

Old 4th January 2011, 05:59 PM   #31
wktan81
SQTalk Elite Silver

Programs: SQ KF, CX AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridace101 View Post
I was thinking why build a BT in the first place if LCCs are crowding T1 which somehow forces GA to go somewhere else? Only 5 LCCs are using the BT.
Because some LCC are thinking they are not "really" LCC because they can afford to provide more convenience to passengers such as aerobridge and using T1. So in the end it still up to the airlines whether they want to use main terminal and pay more or use BT which cost lower. I think there is no rule saying that LCC has to move to BT. Changi just try to provide all type of facilities for airlines, but at the end it is up to them to choose.
wktan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 06:11 PM   #32
ycp81
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Flying Blue, Enrich

Quote:
Only 5 LCCs are using the BT.
Firefly and Berjaya are technically not LCCs but are "forced" to use BT due to their use of turboprops. Using BT will enable faster turnaround for them as there are no aerobridges at BT.
ycp81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 06:17 PM   #33
SilverChris

Quote:
I was thinking why build a BT in the first place if LCCs are crowding T1 which somehow forces GA to go somewhere else? Only 5 LCCs are using the BT.
If GA was forced out, they should be happy anyway. T3 is much classier.
SilverChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 08:07 PM   #34
hybridace101
SQTalk Elite Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktan81 View Post
Because some LCC are thinking they are not "really" LCC because they can afford to provide more convenience to passengers such as aerobridge and using T1. So in the end it still up to the airlines whether they want to use main terminal and pay more or use BT which cost lower. I think there is no rule saying that LCC has to move to BT. Changi just try to provide all type of facilities for airlines, but at the end it is up to them to choose.
You have a point. At least SIN offers plenty options to its clientile to cater to their needs and more importantly, the costs they can afford. Though I would suggest they use a different name for the BT to avoid confusion.

I'm happy that GA gets to go to T3. It indeed complements its ever improving image.
hybridace101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:17 PM   #35
SilverChris

Quote:
Though I would suggest they use a different name for the BT to avoid confusion.
Isn't the name budget terminal straightforward enough?
SilverChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 09:45 PM   #36
hybridace101
SQTalk Elite Gold

Hmmm... You've got me. I don't know what other name to call it since LCCs have an option of docking elsewhere. Though what I can think of is budget from the perspective of the carrier because the costs to them are low. I typically interpret the term LCC/BT/LCCT from the perspective of the carrier.
hybridace101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 02:08 AM   #37
B727
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: mohabbat aur zarurat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealalula View Post
Seem's like these few day's GA have been sending their 747 almost everyday
I remember in the 90s when GA 747s made regular stops in SIN on their way to/from Europe. Back then T1 was still a nice terminal, not so anymore these days as other posters have indicated on this thread.

This year has been the pits when arriving into T1. AK truly dominates the place with the high frequency of their fully-loaded (pax + baggage) flights. Two months ago, I had to scramble for a luggage cart and the taxi queue was the longest I'd ever seen with a 45-minute wait.

Last month, there were no luggage carts! We waited 10 minutes for security to open the glass doors for the cart trains to be rolled back in. And the taxi queue? We took one look and marched straight up to the second level where we walked to the far end, caught a skytrain to T2, walked out the elevator doors directly into the path of the exit for taxis and presto, no waiting line whatsoever. The taxi driver was shocked when we told of him of our ordeal; had he known, he would've queue'd up for fares at T1!

So, kudos to GA on the move to T3 and please take all or some of your SkyTeam brethren on your wings with you
Old 5th January 2011, 02:26 AM   #38
UMD
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Programs: SQ-TPP, GA-Plat

Quote:
I know what to say about this. But the irony is that *A which has a base in SIN is the least disciplined of the alliances as far as terminal assignments are concerned. OW and Sky have relatively stable terminal assignments being mostly in T1. *A carriers are all over the place. With GA moving into T3 and the SkyTeam, it may shackle that image of SkyTeam's stability in terminal assignments.
I am not sure SkyTeam is that much more disciplined than *A. KE is currently operating out of T2 and MU (which will also join SkyTeam) has already been operating out of T3 since the day T3 opens.

Quote:
I believe GA's move is more due to its rebranding strategy. Somehow, GA sees T3 as being more prestigious which can be a very important selling point back in Indonesia.
UMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 06:45 AM   #39
coffeeblack
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: SQ, EK, SPG, A-Club

Just my 2 cents. It doesn't really matter which alliance you are with at SIN, purely because it's just so easy to transit amongst the different airlines, I mean truly so easy.
coffeeblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 02:33 PM   #40
j.lin
SQTalk PPS Club

Are they going to use the SATS Premium Lounge @ T3? If yes, there goes my 'exclusive' privilege.
j.lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011, 11:01 PM   #41
UMD
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

The move is now effective Feb. 22, 2011. So, Garuda has moved it by about 20 days earlier. Also, Garuda will use the Row 1 Premium Check-In area.

Old 10th February 2011, 02:52 PM   #42
sealalula
SQTalk PPS Club

Garuda, What's the hurry ?
sealalula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2011, 11:34 PM   #43
UMD
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lin View Post
Are they going to use the SATS Premium Lounge @ T3? If yes, there goes my 'exclusive' privilege.
Got a reply from Garuda that they will indeed use the SATS Premium Lounge during the 1st 2 months and then move to the CIAS lounge once it is ready in April. So, it looks like CIAS is also building a lounge in T3. GA is the only airline in T3 handled by CIAS.

JetQuay service remains available for all the C class passengers.
Old 11th February 2011, 09:58 AM   #44
milehighj

Programs: I/we live on many planes. But on the last flight that mattered, my seat number was 2A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD View Post
JetQuay service remains available for all the C class passengers.
Does that include CGK-issued tickets?
milehighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 03:40 PM   #45
cscs1956
SQTalk PPS Club

My understanding is T1 and T3 is under 1 management vs T2.
I frequently find T2 operate more effeciently including waiting time at baggage claim and taxi stand.
cscs1956 is offline   Reply With Quote