Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend Food Escapades to Bangkok and Penang (FD, SQ, AK, 3K)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend Food Escapades to Bangkok and Penang (FD, SQ, AK, 3K)

This will be a series on 2 short weekend escapades I did with friends to Bangkok and Penang, flying a mixture of AirAsia, SQ and Jetstar. It will be simple write-ups on the flights (nothing much to report on budget airlines) plus lots of good food!

26 May 2016
    Thai AirAsia
    FD 352
    Singapore (SIN) - Bangkok Don Muang (DMK)
    A320
    HS-ABQ
    Economy Class
    Flight Time: 2H06M

Check-in was done online and with boarding pass printed on A4 paper and no check-in baggage, was able to proceed directly to the gate without the need for document verification. Great for arriving at the airport late!

Departure Gate C16. Flight was rather full on this late evening departure.

Aircraft had just arrived from DMK for the quick turnaround.

Very soon, boarding began.

Hot seats at emex row.

Normal seats.

Boarding in progress.

As expected, legroom was LCC-ish.

Window view.

A huge selection of inflight magazines, BOB and duty-free catalogues in the seat pocket!

After the last pax boarded, doors were immediately closed and armed, and we pushed back for departure. Taxi to Rwy20C.

Departure from Rwy20C after a slight queue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TB_uBCZEhM
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Cabin service started shortly after. Crew were all rather friendly and efficient. Pre-ordered meals were handed out, followed by BOB sales and duty-free.

We pre-ordered 2 main dishes for S$5 each. Both came with a cup of water.
    Pad Thai. It tasted authentic enough.

Basil Chicken with Rice. This was very tasty, but beware, very spicy as well!

After cabin service was completed, lights were dimmed for resting. Soon, we were approaching Bangkok and descending.

Landing on Don Muang's Rwy21R right on schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKesCQOp9Gg

Taxi to the terminal.

Disembarking

A standard short and pleasant AirAsia experience. I must also commend that AirAsia's hot meals are also generally rather tasty and spicily suited to the Asian tastebuds.

A 300baht cab ride later and reached Pullman Grande Sukhumvit, just beside Terminal 21 shopping center and the interchange of the major subway lines. Very comfortable bed and cosy room this hotel offers!

My Travel Map

Comment

Brunch at a nearby 24/7 food joint, Took Lae Dee.

Snacking

Meal at Inter Restaurant.

Some jap food at the Fuji chain restaurant.

Creative desserts.

And even more..

3 nights in Bangkok with lots of food and massages later, it was time to fly home. Took the subway and transferred to the Airport Express train to BKK for only about 50baht. Very cheap and convenient! SQ has the entire K row dedicated to its flights. Not surprisingly as there are 3 SQ flights departing within the span of 3hrs.

My Travel Map

Comment

Checked in at the economy class counters with no queues even though the flight is pretty full. Boarding pass issued.

Departure Gate D3

29 May 2016
        Singapore Airlines
        SQ 979
        Bangkok (BKK) - Singapore (SIN)
        A330-300
        9V-SSD
        Economy Class
        Flight Time: 1H53M

Aircraft being catered.

Catering done.

Boarding was called and was orderly. A pillow, blanket and earpiece was already placed on each economy seat.

View out the window.

Legroom was sufficient. Noted that the footrests are gone on the A330s, not that I would miss them.

June edition of inflight mags and IFE was already loaded.

Boarding was fast and almost completed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Since the IFE is already available on ground and in view of the short flight time, I started on my movie, a Chinese comedy.

Hot towels being distributed and special meals verified.

Pushed back and safety video played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC6Fg4E91Nk

Starting the taxi to runway.

Departure from Rwy19L into the dusk.

View the taxi and takeoff here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=worTkx1f828

Climbing

Meal service started immediately after takeoff with the distribution of special meals by hand, followed by the normal meals from cart. Quite a number of special meals on this flight. My travel partner had ordered an Indian Vegetarian, which was delicious! In fact, it was exactly the same dishes as what was served on TG last year, since the catering from BKK was done by TG Catering.

My Travel Map

Comment

Normal meal carts came down the aisle. There was a selection of Chicken with rice or Fish with pasta. Service by this set of crew was really efficient and friendly.

Meal tray. Had an apple juice and tea to go with my meal.

I chose the chicken with rice option. As the catering was done by TG, I held high expectations, and was not disappointed at all!

Starter of ham and apple salad. It was refreshing.

Chicken in spicy sauce with rice and vegetables. The casserole was overflowing with food and the dish was delicious! Chicken was full of flavour and vegetables were still crisp. One of the better SQ dishes in economy class and far way better than what I had on my previous SIN-DPS sector in March(see my earlier report).

Dessert was a thai-style taro and chestnut pudding dessert and was beautifully presented as well. Overall a really good meal for Economy Class standards and comparable to Business Class! This affirms the fact that SQ's catering quality do differ depending on the catering station, and BKK's TG Catering certainly delivers one of the best meals.

Visited the lavatory and yes, the decent paper towels are back!

Cabin view after meal service. Almost everyone are engrossed in the IFE. Another thing to note of the great service provided by the stewardess at the aft cabin, there was a group of young students returning from a school excursion on the flight, and the stewardess actually brought around a bag of SQ goodies and distributed to the students! An angel indeed!

Soon, the short flight is coming to an end.

Approaching Changi from the north.

And an early arrival on Rwy20L.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgGqum6cRZU

Disembarking and view of the economy seats.

9V-SSD which flew me back.

It was a very pleasant flight on SQ on this short sector. Catering was exceptionally good (considering the very average catering on recent SQ flights) and crew were pleasant and efficient despite the full flight. Great job!

I will be updating this thread with my PEN jaunt after the trip this weekend. Stay tuned!

My Travel Map

Comment

Thank you for another enjoyable TR! I see you take your food seriously and your photos are enough to make us feel so hungry! Looking forward to your next installment in Penang.

Comment

Now for the second weekend jaunt to Penang via AirAsia and Jetstar. As similar to previous, boarding passes were printed at home and we can proceed directly to the gate.

Departure Gate D34

10 June 2016
                AirAsia
                AK 1726
                Singapore (SIN) - Penang (PEN)
                A320
                9M-AQQ
                Economy Class
                Flight Time: 54M

Aircraft had arrived early and being prepared for departure.

With the very short turnaround, boarding was soon called.

The usual budget seat pitch.

Inflight mags and stuff

View out the window

Boarding was very efficient and was swiftly completed despite the full flight.

Pushback and taxi for the 1hr hop to Penang.

Departure from Rwy20C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJwTkuruz7w

It was a clear night.

Overflying Changi

My Travel Map

Comment

Climbing into the night

As soon as the seat belt signs were turned off, pre-ordered meals were delivered from trays. Not too many pre-orders on this very short flight. BOB was offered after the pre-orders were distributed.

With the very reasonable meal prices onboard AirAsia, I pre-ordered a Nasi Dagang with Chicken Curry. The meal was max-ed with a dessert of 2 vanilla cupcakes. The meal was flavourful, though the portion of chicken was a tad tiny.

We also pre-ordered a new dish, Kolo Mee. Now, this dish from Kuching tasted delicious and fairly authentic for airplane food!

Ending the supper with sinful cupcakes.

Very soon, we were descending into Penang and landing on Rwy04 15min ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrw2E4RA9AM

Taxi to the terminal.

Disembarking

An enjoyable short flight with good catering onboard AirAsia it was.

My Travel Map

Comment

Disembarked via stairs

Malindo is repainted in Batik Air colours?

Immigration and customs was quick and a short taxi ride later, we were in Georgetown within 40min from touchdown. Stayed at Hotel Jen for 2 nights. Hotel Jen was rebranded from the previous Traders Hotel, which in itself was originally branded as ShangriLa. The hotel is rather old but functional and is due for total refurbishment this year. However rooms are big and comfortable, though "classic" looking.

Next morning, headed to Tai Tong Restaurant for dimsum brunch.

Hainan association with Komtar in the background.

Passed my this roast meat stall with long queues. Gonna try it next time.

Penang Teochew Chendol to provide some respite from the heat.

Dinner at a hawker center along Jalan Macalister.

Loh Bak

Penang Char Kuay Teow

My Travel Map

Comment

Fried carrot cake and oyster omelette.

Beehoon soup

As it is the durian season, it is a must to try some of the famous Penang durians!

More Penang cuisine on the last day, starting with Penang assam laksa.

White curry mee

Tapioca cake and chee cheong fun

Sunday market

Duck meat with kuay teow soup

Some interesting flavours at Mac. Chendol ice-cream cone and Mata Kuching (longan) sundae.

Last meal before flying back. More Penang char kuay teow and a delicious Kuay chup.

My Travel Map

Comment

A 30min Grabcar ride to the airport at half the price of the airport taxi and reached the terminal slightly more than an hour before departure. The 4 Jetstar check-in counters were quite empty even though the flight ended up totally full.

Boarding pass. Requested for a window seat and was moved to the last row of the plane (initially was at row 25 during online check-in with no options to change) and with no recline.

FIDS. The 1645hrs Tigerair departure to Singapore was delayed due to late arrival of aircraft at 1655hrs.

SG50-liveried aircraft would be operating the flight. The plane had arrived rather early.

Boarding soon

12 June 2016
                        Jetstar Asia
                        3K 676
                        Penang (PEN) - Singapore (SIN)
                        A320
                        9V-JSH
                        Economy Class
                        Flight Time: 1H13M

Boarding

Seated at the last row, the legroom was miserable and recline was nil. All for the sake of a window seat...

Description of the special livery on the aircraft.

Inflight magazines

Boarding in progress and crew were actively assisting with the boarding process. Being a totally full flight, it was a wonder that boarding was completed 15min before STD.

Silkair arrived.

My Travel Map

Comment

The delayed Tiger arrived shortly after.

We soon pushed back well ahead of schedule and taxied to the runway.

Departure from Rwy04 ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDNlKNP9N8c

BOB service commenced but not much takers on the short flight.

Descending into Singapore

Turning over Batam and heading north before approaching from the north to the airport. Quite a detoured approach.

Approach and landing on Rwy20R, 20min ahead of schedule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aaCmMzF4U8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8xOq4mAJvU

Parked beside a JQ B788

QF B738 departing for Perth.

A look at the special liveried fuselage.

In short, an on-time flight, cramped seat, efficient service, great price.

Your comments are much welcomed.

My Travel Map

Comment

Thanks for sharing especially on PEN as I'm headed there shortly.

Comment

One word: yummy.

I've been to thailand - phuket but in a group tour so everything was arranged. Just wondering if they have language issue (i.e. Do they speak english?). I am picky about the food i eat. I will transit in thailand this december for 7 hours and would like to have some culinary experience directly in the country (the most authentic thai food i ate wo far was in scotland and wales).

Comment

Working...
                              X