Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
    Hi SQueeze!

For the SQ LHR Lounge, I do quite like it, mainly for the F&B, the full service bar, and the fact that it has tarmac views.

But I also do agree that the decor (And the new "Home away from home" theme as well) is not as distinctive as the style and design of some other airlines.

For some reason, SQ tends to choose lounge stying that is on the conservative side.

In that respect, my favourite home base lounges are the QF and CX lounges, which have great styling. In fact, QF's lounges in HKG and SIN are pretty amazing too. The QF Lounge is probably my favourite lounge in SIN, preferable even to SQ's J lounge.

I am hopeful that SQ will go all out to make their new Changi lounges, whether the new one in the upcoming T5, or any revamp of T2/T3 lounges, worthy of SQ's reputation.
    Hi yflyer

Sometimes yes, I can overlook the soft qualities over the visual qualities. But indeed, the content is as important if not more than the styling. For example, I wouldn't go to a restaurant for its nice decor/ambience/styling, its food quality will be most important.

For lounge, the styling i think is more important, but the food and wine should also be of high weightage.

There is really no excuse to have "lesser" lounge overseas compared to home base. All other lounges in LHR I know (SK,UA,DL) are better than SQ's lounge. Really no excuse to have this boring, and unexciting design to be implemented all over the world.

Comment

Thanks, chisquared!

I didn't know there was a Gold Track! Will look out for it the next time round...
      Yep, it's really convenient! In case you still miss it next time, it's also the lane for first and business class passengers. In fact, airline staff near the entrance to the Gold Track will ask you if you're flying first or business as you enter. (Which I actually suspect happened to you, which is why you missed it.) You can just tell them you have a *G card and they'll let you through.

Keep your card handy; you'll need to show it to the security staff just before the scanners because the barriers only accept F/J boarding passes.
      Last edited by chisquared; 14 May 2016, 04:29 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by SQueeze View Post
        For lounge, the styling i think is more important, but the food and wine should also be of high weightage.
        Yes, lounge F&B is very important to me too. My favourites there are EK, JL, QF and CX.

Of these, QF seems to be one of the few airlines who do as good a job in overseas lounges as in their home base.

Emirates too. They have great catering not just in DXB, but in the overseas lounges I have visited, including SIN and MUC.

Comment

Headphones provided are complimentary earbuds, which don’t sound very good. On some movies, the dialog sounded unintelligible, and most music and sound effects sound as if they are coming out of a cave.

If possible bring your own headphones and an airline headphone adapter (Available inflight in the SQ Kris Shop catalog at S$15. These are available on the ground in shops for about S$5).

I'm sure it's already been covered somewhere and many will know this but you can use your own standard earphones with the single jack and insert it just enough (never fully) to get stereo sound without the adaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
            I'm sure it's already been covered somewhere and many will know this but you can use your own standard earphones with the single jack and insert it just enough (never fully) to get stereo sound without the adaptor.
            Hi jonleong! I've heard of that technique, but I have never been sure if you are getting real stereo if you do that, or if you are getting the same mono channel in both ears. My impression is that it is not real stereo, but I could be wrong. Much easier to just get an airline adapter.

Comment

Hi Yflyer,
              Is sq318 currently flying with the old or new version of the 77w?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                Hi Yflyer,
                Currently SQ318 gets the new 77W with great regularity.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ_326 View Post
                  Hi Yflyer,
                  Hi, SQ_326!

As loldude333 has also said, it looks like SQ318 is getting the 77WN, i.e. with the new cabin products, on a regular basis.

I normally just check by googling flightradar24 and the flight number i.e. google "flightradar24 SQ318"

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sq318

And based on that, it gives you the rego's of the aircraft operating SQ318 in recent days.

From 8 to 15 December, it has been 9V-SWW, 9V-SWY, 9V-SWV, 9V-SNA, 9V-SNB...all of these are the new config (77WN), with the latest products.

So it looks like a safe bet that you will get the new cabin products.

Of course all it takes is one equipment substitution to throw everything out of whack for a few days at a time. And SQ tends to change planes and configs quite frequently, so it is always good to check close to the date.

Another way to find out is to post a question in the main SQ discussion thread on SQTalk. There are folks there who track this sort of thing very closely!

Comment

Originally posted by jonleong View Post
                    I'm flying out on SQ1 next Friday midnight, and I actually ordered an external hesdphone jack that I can plug into the airline's headset system then plug in my own headphones. Should come hopefully Wednesday.

The main question will be my mom, but anyway we'll see whats up then.

Comment

Great trip report yflyer. I did the same SQ318/319 earlier this year april/may on a J award. Both times got a 77WN (new J). I have never flown in J prior to this, and I have to say I was mightily impressed with SQ and their service. From great checkin, to priority screening, to great Silver Kris T3 lounge and fast track LHR immigration and return.

11-12 hours in the air is still a very long plane trip, but it makes it all the more easier in J. Your thorough pictures provide an excellent account of the J experience. The only thing it cant replicate is the constant Mr X would you like another drink, or Mr X would you like me to make your bed. Haha, first world problems

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
                        The main question will be my mom, but anyway we'll see whats up then.
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                          There isn't enough alcohol in the world......
                          God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by prozerran View Post
                            Great trip report yflyer. I did the same SQ318/319 earlier this year april/may on a J award. Both times got a 77WN (new J). I have never flown in J prior to this, and I have to say I was mightily impressed with SQ and their service. From great checkin, to priority screening, to great Silver Kris T3 lounge and fast track LHR immigration and return.]
                            Thanks, prozerran! Glad you had a good experience on SQ J!

Originally posted by prozerran View Post
                            11-12 hours in the air is still a very long plane trip, but it makes it all the more easier in J. Your thorough pictures provide an excellent account of the J experience. The only thing it cant replicate is the constant Mr X would you like another drink, or Mr X would you like me to make your bed. Haha, first world problems
                            To say that J makes long haul travel easier is a big understatement! That said, SQ long haul Y is pretty decent too.

I just got off SQ26 SIN-FRA in Y. I had a great 12 hour flight which seemed a lot shorter than it was because I was asleep most of the flight. After so many flights on 77W / 77WN Y it was nice to be in A380 Y again, with its huge 3-4-3 Y cabin.

Of course A380 J on the upper deck is very comfortable too, despite it being the 2006 product. Worth a try next time you fly SQ J !

Comment

High quality Phitek noise cancelling headphones.

Yikes. Those Phiteks are very low quality, because F Class/Suites has Bose QCs, which I got one.
                              I'd recommend you to buy one from duty frees in Changi.

Comment

Originally posted by GCHaviation View Post
                                Yikes. Those Phiteks are very low quality, because F Class/Suites has Bose QCs, which I got one.
                                I'd recommend you to buy one from duty frees in Changi.
                                I wouldn't call the Phiteks low quality...I think they are ok. But of course not audiophile quality. Bose is a premium brand, their stuff is top notch.

I am a fan of Shure earbuds and Sennheiser headphones myself. The high end Shure and Sennheiser models have SUPERB sound quality.

I don't really care for active noise cancellation. To me all that digital signal processing impacts sound quality. The tight fit of the Shure earbuds to me gives good physical noise isolation.

In fact I have the habit of wearing my Shure earbuds disconnected from any source just to serve as earplugs. Great if you have crying babies left, right, front, back...the full surround sound experience...

Comment

Working...
                                X