X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [KUL] MH Satellite Golden Lounge - First Class Section

Date/Day: 1 December 2009/Tuesday
    Place: Kuala Lumpur International KUL

Admittedly I was a little nervous of not being granted access into the First Class section of the Satellite Golden Lounge, following the subpar treatment received during the check-in formality.

As I approached the entrance of the massive lounge, I just couldn't take my eyes off the right section of the lounge – the area where only First Class passengers are allowed to enter. It was also the only part of all 3 Golden Lounges in KUL that I haven't been to.

But all the worries disappeared as I made my way to the reception counter in the spacious lobby. I was in fact being greeted warmly even before reaching the reception counter. I handed over my red boarding pass to a male receptionist and to my utmost joy, for the first time, I was welcomed into the right side of the lounge. Finally!

What's the fuss about being in the right side of the terminal? Well, for those who are not familiar with the layout of the lounge, the area inside the lounge is divided into 2 – the First Class section to the right, while the Business Class section is to the left. However, this information (alongside some other crucial information which I think very important like there are 3 Golden Lounges in KUL, the Rimba concept for the Regional Golden Lounge, amongst other) are not being communicated clearly to fellow travelers through the airline's website.

See… that's all. It is kinda sad that the main avenue to sell the Golden Lounge brand was not being exploited to the fullest.

The Business Center Experience

The first thing that I did after officially being at the right side area of the lounge was visiting the Business Center to do some last minute arrangements for my surprise detour trip from LHR soon.

The Business Center in the Satellite Terminal, which is being shared by both the First Class section and the Business Class section of the lounge, in my opinion, is the best Business Center among all Golden Lounges worldwide. It is very spacious, well laid-out, the work stations are wide and well stocked with stationeries. A meeting room (which can be locked from the inside) is also available for usage. As usual, facsimile and photocopy services are at one's disposal. It has this 'office' feeling, which I think what a Business Center should be.

Recent trend for Business Centers, be it in airport lounges or five star hotel establishments is this so called 'chic' and 'lounge' feel for the Business Center, where one would do their works on a very high and fashionably looking stool coupled with a very small table while sipping cocktails in a rather badly lit room. Definitely NOT my kind of an ideal work station. I mean how can you concentrate on the works when one could barely sit comfortably and see the working materials clearly?

Now, for those who are familiar with the Satellite Golden Lounge, one must noticed that some of us can sneak into the First Class section through the 'secret' little passage in front of the backward facing Business Center, which has been the main entry point for those with such intention.

Tough luck! MH's management has managed to sniff his kind of 'illegal' activity that they decided to block the 'secret' passage with 4 large vases, to prevent any business class travelers from intruding the First Class section.

Unfortunately, despite having those 4 vases as a stronghold to battle the incoming 'illegal' business class travelers, I still believe whoever interested can still easily bypass them by doing a little athletic acts (a combination of steeplechase, long jump, high jump and triple jump events come to my mind) or by simply entering the Business Center from the Business Class section through the door in the background, and exit the Business Center into the First Class section through the door in the foreground LOL.

Apart from the Business Center, some other facilities like the child play area named Steadler's Creative Kids Corner and a Putting Room are also shared by both sections of the lounge. These 2 facilities are located at the Business Class side of the lounge.

The Main Sitting Hall Experience

Prior to entering the main sitting hall, one will be welcomed by the layout plan of the entire lounge.

Clearly, the First Class section consists of only about 30% of the total floor area.

Right across, there is an interesting subject, a room called The Platinum Suite, whose access is restricted to Enrich Platinum members only.

Although very curious to know what this room is all about, I didn't dare to take a peep, thought that I might intrude some VIPs' privacy. What could be inside? A cigar bar?

Entering the main seating hall, one will be greeted by a calming ambience. Beige and cream are the main hues here. For those who are already familiar with the sights at the other side (the Business Class section), the absence of blue from the main colour scheme is quite noticeable.

The sofas are identical to those at the Business Class section, but the number is lesser here, to suit for the number of patrons. Reading materials are aplenty and TV screens are located at every corner.

From the glass wall, First Class passengers can see the actions at the other side of the lounge.

Adopting a Zen concept, the whole area is actually being circled by a 'river', but apparently this water feature was shut off during my visit. The 'river' is void water. I sense some cost cutting elements here.

There are also a few set of dining tables at the main seating hall, possibly to cater for those who don't want to dine in the main dining hall for (probably) privacy reason. Each dining table seats 2 persons.

Massage chairs and foot massagers are arranged in between the sofas, quite contrary with the arrangement at the other side of the lounge, where all this machines are placed inside a room called Relaxation Room. These expensive Osim's machines are mentioned in the lounge's website.

Desktop computers/working terminals with internet connection are also arranged in between the sofas here, in addition to the complimentary WiFi internet connection provided throughout the entire KUL terminals.

I played around with MH's booking engine and guess what? Should I am a paying passenger on the flight that I am soon to embark, I would have burnt MYR 21,729.00 from my wallet. A return journey would have costs even more, MYR 33,577.00, which by Malaysian standard is enough to enable one to purchase a 700 square feet low cost apartment in an uptown area. Wot!

At the further end of the long hall, lies the smoking room, which to me looks very nice and is quite self-contained, with its own drink selections cabinet.

Comment

Right across, there is a little walkway that will lead one to the slumberette section. This facility is only available at the First Class section.

There are 7 slumber rooms but one of them has been converted into a Muslim praying room (presumably used by the lounge's staff based on how it looks). The other 6 rooms are locked and there was no one around that I could ask to open one for me.

The Shower Room Experience

There was no doubt that I had a long and sticky day earlier on. The only thing that I wanted to do the most in the lounge was to take a shower. I have been to all shower facility in all 3 Golden Lounges in KUL and I have to say that they are all looked different.

I can't quite compute this. What is the armchair for? For one to sit while waiting should all cubicles are in use? Or for one sit while staring at fellow travelers' way of doing the business? Can someone please enlighten me?

There are 8 spacious shower rooms for the gents, each of which comes well equipped with basic amenities.

The toilet comes with both tissue paper and a water hose, which is extremely important in Malaysia.

The shower is located in a separate screen and there is a rain shower, which I appreciated the most.

A bit of a letdown, there seems to be an inconsistency in the furnishing of the toiletries. Aigner's hand soap and body cream with L'Occitane shampoo and an el-cheapo shower gel? Not quite First Class in my opinion. This is definitely the job of MH's bean counters. Oh, and a few cotton buds, a hair gel and a spray deodorant wouldn't burn a deep hole in the company's coffer too.

Nevertheless, it was very refreshing after the whole affairs. I was all geared up in fresh crisp clothes and smelled oh-so-nice to embark on the 13 hours flight into LHR.

By the way, there seems to be a comment by a few readers that I should reveal more of myself (other than my palms, hands and knees which have been featured in my previous trip reports). Therefore, to conform to the request I hereby present all my body parts from the belly down to the toes, wrapped in a fresh white towel. How about that huh?

*Special thanks to Ewan Shamsudin of Indoflyer.Net for the inspiration. His picture is even bolder LOL!

Comment

The Dining Hall Experience

Probably my favourite part in the whole First Class section, the slightly secluded area looks very nice with a wooden floor and a tented entrance.

A buffet spread was offered all day long, with a selection of local and international dishes, but the quantity is rather limited.

Salad and yogurt

Pastries and soup

Rice and 2 choices of savories

Sandwiches and fresh fruits

But I think this is not quite what MH told in their website.

A gigantic chocolate ornament takes a grand seat on the buffet table. A smaller one can be found on the bar right across. I happened to see one in the Regional Golden Lounge and it was sponsored by Fidani.

Drinks selections are located at the opposite side next to the bar.

For those who are interested; Uncle Remy, Uncle Johnny and Uncle Jack are all present here.

There are 4 set of dining tables here, each of which can seat 4 persons comfortably.

The foods tasted decent but the menu is more towards low key in my opinion. Isn't a First Class lounge should be serving a dancing lobster or something? There is also a selection of 4 noodles which can be ordered from the bar, but it is identical to the offerings at the Business Class side and also the other 2 Golden Lounges in KUL.

The cost cutting elements also made a significant present in the dining hall exhibited by an empty fridge of what supposed to be full of Haagen-Dazs ice creams.

And no chocolate pralines to end the whole experience.

Comment

So what do you guys think of MH's First Class lounge?

1 hour and 45 minutes after first stepping inside the premise, I bade my goodbye before proceeding to Gate C34 where my flight was assigned.

Comment

Wow, I never really checked out the First Class section and it looks cool And why not show handsome yourself in on of the pics from head down?

Btw what a coincidence, i was at KUL on that very day flying off to SIN on MI335.
            Last edited by SilverChris; 9 May 2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

A friend of mine visited the same place about a month after my visit on his way to AMS, and I was told that the sofas have been replaced with a better one (identical to the classic looking sofa/armchairs I featured in my write-up about MH's Golden Lounge in LHR Terminal 4).

He's obviously had a better experience than mine; new sofas, the zen river is flowing with water, more variety and better foods at the buffet spread, he got to use the slumberette, he got to enter The Platinum Suite (which he described looks like a very upmarket small condo), the toiletteries inside the shower room were more uniform and the fridge was full of Haagen-Dazs ice creams.

And he keeps on saying, "SliverKris, I feel for you!" It's very enviable LOL!

By the way, I made a bet with Dent@SUB to show more skin in the future, but we are going to take it very slowly, one by one, pieces by pieces, like doing a foreplay. *wink*
              Last edited by SliverKris; 10 May 2010, 03:08 AM. Reason: Adding the foreplay bit.

Comment

I'll be flying to LHR sometime in the next 2 weeks in First so hopefully I arrive at the airport early to check this lounge out (I am a person that is always late for some reason)

Comment

I can almost guarantee that you'll have a better experience than mine, considering the new fittings that has been given to this lounge. But it could be more crowded than usual because MH is offering some sort of a promotion to their Enrich Gold members, who can enter the First Class lounge even though they are flying in Business Class. This is in conjunction with Enrich's 10th anniversary.

Psst... can you check for me whether the sofa/armchair facing the urinal cubicle is still there or not?

Comment

Originally posted by SliverKris View Post
                    I can almost guarantee that you'll have a better experience than mine, considering the new fittings that has been given to this lounge. But it could be more crowded than usual because MH is offering some sort of a promotion to their Enrich Gold members, who can enter the First Class lounge even though they are flying in Business Class. This is in conjunction with Enrich's 10th anniversary.

Psst... can you check for me whether the sofa/armchair facing the urinal cubicle is still there or not?
                    Sure, will check if it's still there. And I like the MH lounge when it's crowded for some reason or another.. Makes it feel more "lively" IMO.

Comment

Thanks for posting SilverKris. I popped in there exactly a month after you and that little moat separating the first and business class sections of the lounge was still devoid of water. Probably might've just used it all for the Regional Lounge at the main terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverChris View Post
                        And I like the MH lounge when it's crowded for some reason or another.. Makes it feel more "lively" IMO.
                        Me too. It's quite disheartening to actually know how MH is doing on the premium segment based on the patrons of their Golden Lounges.

Originally posted by N751PR View Post
                        I popped in there exactly a month after you and that little moat separating the first and business class sections of the lounge was still devoid of water. Probably might've just used it all for the Regional Lounge at the main terminal.
                        LOL, were they on water saving campaign or something? I think the Golden Lounge at the Satellite Terminal is way OVERDUE for refurbishment (and they should be 'Rimba'ed as well). Many noises have been made to the MH's management about this issue so hopefully something is being done.

Comment

Why on earth have they gone and spoiled what was one of the best lounges around?. I couldn't believe it when I was there recently for the first time in a few years. The dining area is decent enough, but unless I missed a side room somewhere there is hardly anywhere else to sit.

The Rimbun Lounge is probably as good now.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            Why on earth have they gone and spoiled what was one of the best lounges around?. I couldn't believe it when I was there recently for the first time in a few years. The dining area is decent enough, but unless I missed a side room somewhere there is hardly anywhere else to sit.

The Rimbun Lounge is probably as good now.
                            Apparently they thought the FCL was unnecessarily large for the number of F pax they had, and not to mention the downsizing of their F cabins as the A380s replaced the 744s. Don't know if they accounted for their impending entry into OW at that time.

For some strange reason, MH Platinum pax get a separate "Platinum Suite" which is something like a lounge within a lounge (think TPR, but Platinum pax in Y trump F pax when it comes to access )

Comment

I'm in there every week these days. To be honest - I hardly ever see it packed to the rafters. Don't think it's too big really.

Comment

Working...
                              X