Chicken Rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Rice

Paging ws8n, MovieMan and Jubilee777: what's the name of that place where we had chicken rice after Bali Do 06? I'm going to lasso my brother into going with me when I swing through Singapore in late December.

Unless other folks have other recommendations?

[Photographic explanation, i.e., a picture of well-satisfied Bali Doers, is in the link below (sorry, the image exceeded the website's limit for images) ]

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4443098
    Last edited by jjpb3; 20 November 2006, 05:38 AM. Reason: grammar
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Yummy chicken rice!!!!!!! There's also a great place to get chicken rice at Tiong Bahru, if you don't mind something not quite so central in location (Gaz can tell you which one it is)
    Last edited by cawhite; 20 November 2006, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Did I hear Hainan Chicken?
      My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Considering that Hainanese chicken rice is (along with chilli crab etc) one of the candidates for Singapore's unofficial national dish, I doubt you'll get one definitive answer, e.g.

my girlfriend (a Singaporean) always mentioned some place in Queenstown which is a bit out of the way; and

the Makan Sutra recommends one in the Maxwell Road food centre:

http://www.makansutra.com/topten_sg.html

with its Singlish "die, die, must try!" top rating!
        Last edited by jhm; 20 November 2006, 07:06 AM.

Comment

As a half hainanese - I'll tell you, the best Hainanese chicken rice is made by my 96 year old grandmother. The shame of it all is that I'm not sure she can cook for a whole posse of SQtalkers ........

Comment

Originally posted by shortfinals View Post
            As a half hainanese - I'll tell you, the best Hainanese chicken rice is made by my 96 year old grandmother. The shame of it all is that I'm not sure she can cook for a whole posse of SQtalkers ........
            You big tease!

You mean she hasn't passed her skills down to you? I think we all need a demonstration of shortfinals' cooking skills!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              the Makan Sutra recommends one in the Maxwell Road food centre:

http://www.makansutra.com/topten_sg.html

with its Singlish "die, die, must try!" top rating!
              I love that Singlish turn of phrase. Hmmm... I think I'll start a couple of threads in the other boards on this. Thanks, jhm.
              Last edited by jjpb3; 20 November 2006, 08:21 AM. Reason: correction

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                You big tease!

You mean she hasn't passed her skills down to you? I think we all need a demonstration of shortfinals' cooking skills!
                You need a demonstration of shortfinals' cooking skills as much as you need a bout of delhi belly...............

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  my girlfriend (a Singaporean) always mentioned some place in Queenstown which is a bit out of the way
                  I know which one she's refering to. The original owner's son now runs it at Stirling Road

Comment

Paging ws8n, MovieMan and Jubilee777: what's the name of that place where we had chicken rice after Bali Do 06? I'm going to lasso my brother into going with me when I swing through Singapore in late December.

Unless other folks have other recommendations?

[Photographic explanation, i.e., a picture of well-satisfied Bali Doers, is in the link below (sorry, the image exceeded the website's limit for images) ]

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/4443098
                    I don't remember the name of the place (I am sure ws8n or J777 will reply soon), but IIRC it was on River Valley Road, if that helps. (Wikipedia mentions Boon Tong Kee as a well-known place for chicken rice in River Valley, so that may be it.)
                    Last edited by MovieMan; 20 November 2006, 10:27 AM.

Comment

It's called 5 star. Haven't been there for a while, but I'll check it out the next time I'm in the area.

FYI, i found a really cool place across from Plaza SIN.... reminds me of Bali..

jjpb3, lemme know when u're in town again.

Comment

Originally posted by ws8n View Post
                        It's called 5 star. Haven't been there for a while, but I'll check it out the next time I'm in the area.

FYI, i found a really cool place across from Plaza SIN.... reminds me of Bali..

jjpb3, lemme know when u're in town again.
                        Will definitely do. IIRC, you owe me a demonstration of your cooking skills. (That makes you and shortfinals my targeted chefs. Home cooking in SIN and KUL: heaven defined, more so if I can persuade StarG to demonstrate his culinary expertise, so I can add Jakarta to my list. )

Sorry for this should-be-obvious question, but ... where's Plaza SIN?

Comment

(That makes ....snip...shortfinals my targeted chefs.
                          Since when did you have a death wish?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                            Since when did you have a death wish?
                            I aim to collect in KUL, even if it kills me. Will you protect me ... pretty please?

Comment

I aim to collect in KUL, even if it kills me. Will you protect me ... pretty please?

Protect you from whom? Shortfinals fried rice is guaranteed to kill, or cure whatever ails you.

Comment

Working...
                              X