[HKG] The Cabin - CX unveils innovative features in new passenger lounge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HKG] The Cabin - CX unveils innovative features in new passenger lounge

Cathay Pacific Airways today announced the opening of The Cabin, the airline’s latest passenger lounge at Hong Kong International Airport. The 1,339-square-metre space, designed by London-based architectural firm Foster + Partners, is located by Gate 23 on the airport’s central concourse, offering passengers a new level of comfort and convenience before their flight out of Hong Kong.

The Cabin is the latest addition to the collection of Cathay Pacific Group lounges at Hong Kong International Airport, which includes three other departure lounges - The Wing, The Pier, G16 - and The Arrival for passengers flying into Hong Kong.

CX Chief Operating Officer John Slosar said: “The opening of The Cabin highlights our commitment to offering the highest level of product and service to our valued customers. Hong Kong is the home hub of Cathay Pacific and we will continue to make significant investments to ensure our customers can enjoy an unparalleled pre-flight experience.”

Described as “contemporary, refreshing and dynamic”, The Cabin features an ultra-modern design that introduces brand-new seating and dining concepts for the benefit of passengers. The new lounge is separated into five zones - The Reception, The IT Zone, The Deli, The Health Bar, and The Relaxing Zone – and the design features a blend of warm wood, bamboo, white marble and dark granite that builds on the airline’s existing lounge palette.

The Cabin employs state-of-the-art technology to ensure passengers are kept in touch and entertained. New dining concepts include a delicatessen, where made-to-order hot sandwiches, fresh antipasti and salads are available, and The Health Bar – a reworking of Cathay Pacific’s popular Long Bar concept which also serves freshly squeezed juices and hot or cold Chinese herbal teas.

A number of style innovations have been employed including a reception wall made of Venetian glass tiles by Fabbian of Italy, and the “Cathay Pacific Signature Plate” in The Deli, produced by Noritake of Japan. A big talking point in the new lounge will be the innovative new Cathay Solus Chair - a purpose-built unit where lounge guests can eat, work and relax.

As with all CX lounges, The Cabin is a premium lounge open to First and Business Class passengers, Silver and above Marco Polo Club members, and Sapphire and above oneworld members. Opening hours are from 5:30am until the last departure. With the opening of The Cabin, Cathay Pacific will begin a phased renovation of its flagship lounge, The Wing, beginning from the fourth quarter of 2010.

See Appendix for a full description of the features of The Cabin.

The Cabin - CX’s newest lounge at Hong Kong International Airport

Overview
    The Cabin is the latest addition to the collection of Cathay Pacific Group lounges at Hong Kong International Airport, joining The Wing, The Pier, G16 and The Arrival. The Cabin – a 1,339-square-metre space designed by London-based architectural firm Foster + Partners - is conveniently located by Gate 23 on the central concourse. Contemporary, refreshing and dynamic, The Cabin is ultra-modern in design and introduces some brand-new seating and dining concepts.

The Cabin is an uplifting place intended to give passengers a pre-flight boost. It is a fast-paced lounge, from the up-close view of the energetic airport to the use of state-of-the-art technology.

The Cabin is separated into five different zones: The Reception, The IT Zone, The Deli, The Health Bar, and The Relaxing Zone. Foremost among the range of seating is the innovative and unique Cathay Solus Chair that has been designed around passenger’s needs to provide a space in which to eat, work, read or simply relax.

CX’s aim with The Cabin is to have guests leaving feeling refreshed and inspired.

The Reception
    The Cabin sees the launch of a newly designed reception wall for the Cathay Pacific Group lounges. The wall is made of Venetian glass tiles by Fabbian of Italy, with two layers of tiles backlit from the top and bottom to create a sparkling abstract impression of bamboo. The bright surface provides the ideal backdrop for our friendly and professional customer service staff. On the opposite wall, patterned bamboo wood adds warmth to the space, while the high-gloss black ceiling reflects a pure white marble floor and the familiar cantilevered marble reception desk.

The IT Zone
    High speed Wi-Fi internet, 11 PCs, 6 iMacs and a video conference suite allow passengers to stay informed, in touch and entertained. For the first time guests can also use one of 20 Wi-Fi-enabled iPads that have been pre-loaded with the latest apps including newspapers, magazines and games.

A 10.5-metre IT glass wall with programmable LED lights provides a warm and energetic feel to this area. The Techno Bar and IT workstations are made from hardwearing black Italian stone and trimmed with stainless steel. The versatile LEM piston stool was selected for the Techno Bar as it is easy to move, swivel and adjust and has a small back on which to hang jackets. Inside the IT room are 11 individual workspaces with PCs, printers and reading lamps. The walls are lined with either reflective white glass or innovative and stylish sound-absorbent leather panels.

The Deli and Self-service Buffet
    The Cabin offers a high standard self-service buffet where passengers can enjoy a variety of Asian and Western hot and cold dishes. To supplement this, CX has introduced its first delicatessen -The Deli - where passengers can enjoy made-to-order hot sandwiches, fresh antipasti and salads. The buffet counter and Deli are crafted from white Carrara marble and framed with a slatted bamboo wall to create a premium ambience. The dining tables are custom-made in white Corian and accompanied by the Catifa dining chair by Arper and leather banquette seats.

At The Deli, fresh food will be served up on the newly designed “Cathay Pacific Signature Plate”. This custom-made porcelain plate has a subtle abstract bamboo pattern and has been produced exclusively for CX by Noritake of Japan.

The Health Bar
    At The Cabin, the signature Long Bar, which features at The Wing and The Pier, has been given a healthy twist. As well as the usual comprehensive selection of alcoholic drinks and soft beverages, passengers can also choose from a range of freshly squeezed juices and hot or cold Chinese herbal teas. The Health Bar is clad in white Carrara marble and accompanied by the new generation of Cathay barstool, which, while similar in design to the current barstool, is made from bamboo and offers even more comfort. Passengers can also choose to sit along the window in one of the cosy new “couple booths” or on a banquette set into the quiet alcoves.

The Relaxing Zone
    In The Relaxing Zone, passengers can find a variety of premium lounge seating for their comfort. Lounge guests can enjoy the busy airport view while lounging in the Oscar chair designed by Pearson Lloyd and made by Walter Knoll. For those after more privacy, the alcoves contain Foster 503 arm chairs designed by Sir Norman Foster and again made by Walter Knoll.

The Cathay Solus Chair
    Foremost among the range of seating in The Cabin is the innovative new Cathay Solus Chair - a purpose-built unit designed around the diverse needs of our lounge guests. To provide a place to eat, work and relax, Cathay Pacific and Foster + Partners jointly created a unique chair handcrafted by Poltrona Frau in Italy. After designing the concept, CX conducted multiple rounds of trials with Marco Polo Club members to refine the chair’s functionality and ergonomics.

Each Cathay Solus Chair has an individual power outlet, and all other non-dining seats are within arm’s reach of an outlet.

Design & Materials
    As with The Wing and The Pier, The Cabin’s material specification called for the finest quality with a strong preference for locally sourced renewable materials. The core CX palette is clearly present with the liberal use of warm wood, white Carrara marble and dark granite.

The Cabin is bordered by a 90-metre-long red carpet along the floor-to-ceiling windows. White Carrara marble can be found at all service points including the buffet counter, The Deli and The Health Bar. All Carrara marble floor and wall tiles were specially selected from Italian quarries. The locally sourced “China Black” granite wall tiles provide a contemporary linkage to the current design in The Wing. Bamboo, a beautiful and highly sustainable material, has been used in multiple locations throughout the lounge to add warmth to the space. High-gloss ceiling panels are a key feature of The Cabin and reflect the modernity of the overall design.

Eligibility
    The Cabin is a premium lounge for both First and Business Class passengers, Silver and above Marco Polo Club members, and Sapphire and above oneworld members.

Opening hours are from 5:30am until the last departure.

CX’s Head of Product, Alex McGowan, sits in the Cathay Solus chair to try out one of the iPads - pre-loaded with apps - available to lounge guests.

The IT Zone is equipped with ultra-high-speed internet access and features 11 PCs, 6 Apple iMacs and 20 Apple iPads in addition to a video-conference room.

The Health Bar is a reworking of CX’s popular Long Bar concept that also serves freshly squeezed juices and hot or cold Chinese herbal teas.

At The Deli, passengers can enjoy a range of made-to-order hot sandwiches, fresh antipasti and salads.

The Cabin, Cathay Pacific's *NEW* lounge at HKIA

Cool!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/busines...65114022/show/

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...0007d21c39____

Comment

Below is a link of what I wrote and posted in Malaysian Wings forum pertaining to my several visits to "The Cabin" since it was opened

http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/...howtopic=15071

Comment

Originally posted by Tuen View Post

I think the best feature is the iPad stands.

Comment

They don't come cheap...

Comment

I visited this lounge 3 days ago. Uber cool. Will post pics later tonight.

Comment

A small selection of piccies:

The Cabin, as we're aware, is located by Gate 23. Rather convenient then, cause my flight departed from Gate 23

Chairs at the reception

Reception. Lounge is to the left. That's my bird B-HNC at Gate 23 which I boarded but did not depart with (long story for another time)

Everything down this long corridor. The Cabin is therefore much longer than it is wide

In case you get lost

Dining

Relaxing couples chairs - tarmac facing

The bloody uncomfortable chairs they used in the ads. Don't like em, even though they do look pretty stylish

A rather nice Prawn Salad and Caesar Salad by the Peninsula. Not going to get the trainee in trouble, so I won't mention her name, but she gave me ONE prawn when i asked for the Prawn Salad. And of course, I look at her with incredulity. Her Supervisor then comes and rescues the day. I don't think she got briefed properly

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                A rather nice Prawn Salad and Caesar Salad by the Peninsula. Not going to get the trainee in trouble, so I won't mention her name, but she gave me ONE prawn when i asked for the Prawn Salad. And of course, I look at her with incredulity.
                Well you did say prawn salad, not prawnS salad.

Nice pics!

Comment

Definitely makes all the lounges in Singapore so-so...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=eded952f43

A really futuristic looking lounge, you can rent iPad at the reception with your boarding pass, order all kinds of shakes, juices at the bar, waiters n bartender from The Peninsula Hotel Hong Kong. Toilets are high tech, just that they do not have showers. Great view of the tarmac. Really makes the lounges in Singapore look so-so...
                  Last edited by vsepr; 15 June 2011, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Just need one little tiny winy thing, then this lounge would be a perfect biz class lounge: shower room...

Comment

So, When will you give us your long story with B-HNC?

Comment

A big minus. No shower facilities.

Comment

I really liked this lounge. Its tarmac views, catering, and decor were all superb and nicely set the mood before my HKG-ORD flight. The only thing I did not like about it was that it faces the sun and was way too warm for my liking after the not-insignificant walk from check-in, but some cold drinks from the Peninsula-staffed bar helped.

Comment

Working...
                          X