SQTalk  

Go Back   SQTalk > Singapore Airlines > All About Singapore Airlines

Old 15th November 2017, 12:38 AM   #361
FN-GM
SQTalk Solitaire PPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
I can attest to this. The detachable adapters seem to be introduced sometime in the middle of their 70th anniversary campaign
It was somewhere between the 13 Jul & 04 Aug
FN-GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 03:27 AM   #362
yflyer
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Programs: Krisflyer/Star Gold, Qantas Gold/Oneworld Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ025 View Post
You just got to play a bit and not insert the plug fully. It works pretty fine with sound on both ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQfanatic View Post
It does. Not the case with my regular JVC headphones which work for my computer and iPhone in both ears but 1 ear on the entertainment system. I don't think they were as bad as i imagined. No complaints from my dad on his 359 in Sep/Oct on the headphones.
If you insert a normal 3.5mm stereo miniplug into one side of a 2-prong airline headphone socket, you will only get one channel of signal.

You may hear it out of both sides L and R if you insert the plug partially, but what you are hearing is not stereo -- it is a mono signal played through both sides if your headphones. Better than hearing out of one side, but not the same as stereo sound.

If you want stereo, you will need to get hold of an airline headphone adapter.

As mentioned by others, SQ now provides adapters with their earbuds.
yflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2017, 03:32 AM   #363
SQavgeek
SQTalk Elite Gold

Regarding the new economy class, why didn't they make a bigger IFE screen? There is quite some room on the sides, and I think people would appreciate it. Also, after seeing the new Emirates' economy class it would've been nice if SQ had made nicer lavatories in Y just to make it a little more fancy and to create some additional publicity.
Old 16th November 2017, 09:57 AM   #364
EWR
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: SQ, UA, AC, BA, DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQavgeek View Post
Regarding the new economy class, why didn't they make a bigger IFE screen? There is quite some room on the sides, and I think people would appreciate it. Also, after seeing the new Emirates' economy class it would've been nice if SQ had made nicer lavatories in Y just to make it a little more fancy and to create some additional publicity.
I found EK's new Y quite classy. 13.3" screens, light pastels and gray. The USB port and ear phone plugs are cleverly hidden on the lower edge of the TV. In SQ's case, that space is taken up by the personal light underneath the TV, which I heard from SQ is patented and no airline is going to be able to install that
EWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 07:27 PM   #365
Jumbojet Lover
SQTalk PPS Club

Programs: Krisflyer, TrueBlue, Flying Blue, AAdvantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
In SQ's case, that space is taken up by the personal light underneath the TV, which I heard from SQ is patented and no airline is going to be able to install that
I've always thought that it's an ingenious idea, great to know that SQ patented it.
Jumbojet Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 10:13 PM   #366
happyflyer
SQTalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbojet Lover View Post
I've always thought that it's an ingenious idea, great to know that SQ patented it.
Yes I think it's patented. (Read it ages ago when 2006 Y was rolled out but I can't tell you the exact source now)

However, I don't think a lot of people (non aviation enthusiasts) used it, or even noticed it.
happyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2017, 10:24 PM   #367
9V-JKL
SQTalk Life Solitaire PPS LPP2

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyflyer View Post
Thanks for the advice!

I honestly don't understand why they can't just make a one-pin plug instead then. Is it much more expensive?!

I understand that in the past part of the reason they did this is to prevent passengers from removing the headsets. However, now given that SQ doesn't even give out headsets in Y-class, why don't they revert it to the normal plugs.
I was advised by an acquaintance that the headphone plugs for the new birds can accept both single & double plugs.
9V-JKL is offline   Reply With Quote