Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
    and some say Batam.
    Going to have to translate for the poor orang puteh here.......
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Batam is an Indonesian island near Singapore that many Singaporeans visit for a short break.

Whilst it's impossible to explain all the reasons why locals in Singapore love it or loathe it, suffice to say, it is used regularly in the local vernacular in very diverse ways. Sometimes it makes an appearance as the butt of jokes, sometimes it's just in reference to a local sitcom (PCK *Phua Chu Kang* Pte Ltd) but almost always when referring in some way to distance/proximity.

More info HERE

Javaman: If I was around I'd be more than happy to host you... let me have a bit of a think... I might have someone in the family flying into Singapore during that time, then you'd be more than welcome. Will get back to you...

Comment

I have both paddock tickets and bay tickets

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
          Going to have to translate for the poor orang puteh here.......
          As Kyo rightly guessed - it is in reference to Phua Chu Kang. A Singaporean eponymous comedy in the early 2000's. The tagline he used in his construction company, IIRC, was - the "best in Singapore, JB... and some say Batam"

Comment

wowsers.........30% tax? now who's profiteering? Though any sane person would conclude that tripling/quadrupling your rates is "sharp practice" (assuming we're being generous......though I think we'd prefer to call it "sticking it to joe public")
            Well for the uninitiated, the government was partly involved in organising the event, and there has been some criticisms form the public over the use of public funds for an event like this. The government did say then that it will attempt to recoup its expenses, so the hotel "taxes" was their most visible "solution".

I suppose they will have to think of better ideas to get some money back in subsequent years!
            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
              Well for the uninitiated, the government was partly involved in organising the event, and there has been some criticisms form the public over the use of public funds for an event like this. The government did say then that it will attempt to recoup its expenses, so the hotel "taxes" was their most visible "solution".

I suppose they will have to think of better ideas to get some money back in subsequent years!

Given that it does mean skinning the tourist to subsidize locals?

Tax the tickets, those that go pay for the event. The increased income from GST revenue and Profits Taxes from establishments such as restaurants and bars will also go to cover the event. This doesn't even take into account the extreme excise duty on alcohol or the fact smokers can't even bring in more than they need.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                Given that it does mean skinning the tourist to subsidize locals?

Tax the tickets, those that go pay for the event. The increased income from GST revenue and Profits Taxes from establishments such as restaurants and bars will also go to cover the event. This doesn't even take into account the extreme excise duty on alcohol or the fact smokers can't even bring in more than they need.
                While the tourists are indeed skinned, I am not sure if that amounts to subsidising locals. In a nutshell this is recouping money contributed by locals via the tourists, so in essence, the tourists are now made to pay for F1.

If you tax the tickets, you hamper the income of the organiser in depressing sales, which is supposed to be a partner of the Singapore government to bring F1 to Singapore. The increase in tax revenue from the GST and Profit taxes are unlikely to significantly cover the cost of the event. Excise duty on alcohol and cigarettes has been in place for the longest time, not just for F1, and while we may expect an increase in sales of alcohol or cigarettes, one has to assume that F1 spectators are drinkers and smokers to the point of actually recouping the government's total expenses. How true is this?

While I do not feel the hotel "taxes" are effective, the ideas proposed above are not much better either.

Comment

All the small taxes and increases make up one larger package. Keeping 5-10% in the price of the tickets as an additional tax in addition to GST, for example, will not really hamper sales. The same as adding a USD50 fuel surcharge doesn't really stop people flying. The government looses more money by people avoiding hotels than it would loose from potentially a couple of less tickets sold.

Add one more point, F1 was not so popular in Singapore prior to all this stuff took off so there was not the need to bring the sport in to benefit those living here. Those F1 fans that are here spend a few hours in a car and head to Sepang same as i do - stay in town for RM250 each night. KL tried the trick of pushing hotel prices up but it only lasted a few years and now they realise once the attraction wears off they have to be more sensible.

The important thing is not to all the taxation in a single place.

With regards alcohol and cigarettes, if you've been to any of the F1 parties you'll quickly realise just how much additional income this would generate in taxes alone, let alone the thousands of additional people hitting the bars on Saturday/Sunday nights.

Comment

Many countries view the general increase in spending as payback - eventually it filters back in taxes whether through GST/VAT type taxes or in taxable profits/income through the hospitality industry.

Comment

Just had to mention...
                      Got my GP tickets today.......my, that presentation box is rather fancy.
                      I say I've got them......well, I've seen pictures of them........they're in Malaysia, I'm in the UK......but they do look fancy.

Accomodation update.......a 3 storey house in Singapore.....which will be packed with people coming for the GP......42 was the last number mentioned, but I think that's exaggeration......(unless the host works for a LCC, in which case it's only half capacity.......)
                      If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

can someone take pictures of the event and make a TR? please? I'm a really big F1 fan.

Comment

Just had to mention...
                          Got my GP tickets today.......my, that presentation box is rather fancy.
                          I say I've got them......well, I've seen pictures of them........they're in Malaysia, I'm in the UK......but they do look fancy.

Accomodation update.......a 3 storey house in Singapore.....which will be packed with people coming for the GP......42 was the last number mentioned, but I think that's exaggeration......(unless the host works for a LCC, in which case it's only half capacity.......)
                          If the host has the mindset of the LCC, you will be sleeping on the bare floor

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                          can someone take pictures of the event and make a TR? please? I'm a really big F1 fan.
                          Will be doing a F1 TR Flying back from SYD to watch the race

Comment

Thanks in advance Nick C! I'll be eagerly waiting

Comment

Could be a few of us posting F1 TR's....should be quite interesting to see what we all come up with.

Comment

All the small taxes and increases make up one larger package. Keeping 5-10% in the price of the tickets as an additional tax in addition to GST, for example, will not really hamper sales. The same as adding a USD50 fuel surcharge doesn't really stop people flying. The government looses more money by people avoiding hotels than it would loose from potentially a couple of less tickets sold.
                                As I have already mentioned, the government is in a partnership arrangement with the private sector. Imposing a tax on the ticket price amounts to passing its financial burden onto its business partner, when both are expected to split the costs in a pre-agreed ratio. The Singapore government is not known to be devoid of business ethics.

I would not be so quick to suggest that the fuel surcharge has no negative impact on ticket sales unless there is empirical data to show otherwise.

And the government stands to loose more money by people who skip the event altogether if the ticket price goes up too much.

Add one more point, F1 was not so popular in Singapore prior to all this stuff took off so there was not the need to bring the sport in to benefit those living here. Those F1 fans that are here spend a few hours in a car and head to Sepang same as i do - stay in town for RM250 each night. KL tried the trick of pushing hotel prices up but it only lasted a few years and now they realise once the attraction wears off they have to be more sensible.
                                Benefiting local sports fans may not be the primary aim. Benefiting the local economy is clearly one thou.

The important thing is not to all the taxation in a single place.
                                The race is expected to cost about S$150 million, with the government paying 60% of that, amounting to S$90 million. The hotel tax is expected to reap S$15 million. So it hardly seems true that the government is using the hotel tax as its sole means of taxation to reap profits.
                                With regards alcohol and cigarettes, if you've been to any of the F1 parties you'll quickly realise just how much additional income this would generate in taxes alone, let alone the thousands of additional people hitting the bars on Saturday/Sunday nights.
                                I doubt anyone can "realise" anything just by observing an F1 party. Just how many millions of additional taxes may we expect from this source alone?

Comment

Working...
                                X