No announcement yet.

Singapore Airshow 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some shots of the A350 and 787 from the first two days.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airbu...941/2393827/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Airbu...941/2393826/L/

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Qatar...ner/2394030/L/

Comment

Very nice pictures, especially the close-up A350 shots.

Almost makes you wish that airports reverted to bus gates and air stairs, which provide more opportunities to get a close look at these marvels of engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
        Oh! Any idea which part of the airport it's in? Will be flying in this afternoon and curious to see it (didn't see it when taking off yesterday)
        I saw the bird also on Sunday afternoon. Parking at same poisition. I took picture from gate D46
        visit my blog

Comment

Anyone here got a couple of extra tickets for Saturday they want to let go of?

I just went on the Sistic website to buy a pair and they're sold out!

Comment

Some more photos from the trade days.

Sukhoi SSJ-100 Superjet - Sky Aviation
            http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sky-A...jet/2395769/L/

Embraer ERJ190 - Biz jet config
            http://www.airliners.net/photo/Embra...age/2395109/L/

Dash 8 - Q400 - Smart Air
            http://www.airliners.net/photo/Smart...ada/2395990/L/

Most of the interesting aircraft left before the weekend.
            Only the RSAF, USAF/USMC, and various biz jets were left.

Comment

Originally posted by SIA_A380 View Post
              Some more photos from the trade days.

Sukhoi SSJ-100 Superjet - Sky Aviation
              http://www.airliners.net/photo/Sky-A...jet/2395769/L/

Embraer ERJ190 - Biz jet config
              http://www.airliners.net/photo/Embra...age/2395109/L/

Dash 8 - Q400 - Smart Air
              http://www.airliners.net/photo/Smart...ada/2395990/L/

Most of the interesting aircraft left before the weekend.
              Only the RSAF, USAF/USMC, and various biz jets were left.
              And I'm not surprised at all. Happens all the time at previous airshows I went too. That's why this year I've decided to give it a miss.

Comment

So no announcement that Mindef have ordered some C17's, or A400's, or A330 Tankers, or P8's or F35's or how many F15's they really have ?.

I did see a C17 parked up at Changi Airbase last week so presume they were taking the opportunity to have a proper look around.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  So no announcement that Mindef have ordered some C17's, or A400's, or A330 Tankers, or P8's or F35's or how many F15's they really have ?.

I did see a C17 parked up at Changi Airbase last week so presume they were taking the opportunity to have a proper look around.
                  I attended air show on Wednesday.

I've read elsewhere that RSAF was interested in 6 A330 tankers to replace their KC135s.

The F35B which RSAF is reportedly in the market for is on hold.

I think F35 needs time to mature.

Reportedly cracks have appeared already on F35Bs.

Instead 70 F16s are being upgraded with new electronic suite. I think Lockheed & BAe are competing for this programme.

Boeing has 15 white tail C17s they trying to sell. I'm hoping RSAF is interested

The other aircraft I was interested in was the Ospey. It gave a great flying display

The A350 was awesome and I can't wait to fly her

Very very quiet and it looks like a 757 on steroids

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                    The F35B which RSAF is reportedly in the market for is on hold.
                    Not sure where you've got that from. Someone better tell the UK Government about it before they order 14 of them....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26124894

The F35B would be ideal for Singapore with the lack of runways and space. I was always suprised they never bought any Harriers.

Instead 70 F16s are being upgraded with new electronic suite. I think Lockheed & BAe are competing for this programme.
                    That might get delayed if, as expected, the US announce they are stopping or suspending upgrading most of their F16's.

Comment

Not sure where you've got that from. Someone better tell the UK Government about it before they order 14 of them....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26124894

The F35B would be ideal for Singapore with the lack of runways and space. I was always suprised they never bought any Harriers.

That might get delayed if, as expected, the US announce they are stopping or suspending upgrading most of their F16's.
                      Singapore has in the past considered the Harrier, Buccaneer (they liked its internal bomb bay) & F4 Phantom.

The later two were deemed too aggressive a purchase. The Harrier lost out to the A4 Skyhawk.

Pound for pound the A4 could lift a much heavier payload than the Harrier.

My sources for these old stories are Flight International & RSAF pilots I've known in the past (no longer in Air Force!)

My source for F16 upgrades is the Flight Daily News magazine that was produced daily during the show

Quoting the president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics

"... if the CAPES(combat avionics programmed extension suite) becomes a casualty of the US government's 2015 budget request, it will not hurt his company's international F-16 upgrade offering"

He goes on to say that the delayed CAPES funding would not drive up the cost of Lockheed's F16 upgrade offering for international customers

(He would say that wouldn't he?)

Fixed price has been agreed with Northrop Grumman for their SABR (scalable agile beam radar)

And it was our defense minister who said we could wait before committing to the F35B. In the meantime, upgrade our 70 F16s.

BTW I think we have 40 F15s

Comment

There are thousands of F16s that can potentially be upgraded

BAe Systems and Raytheon have won competitions to upgrade South Korean F16s

Lockheed won the right to upgrade Taiwan's fleet

Comment

Singapore has in the past considered the Harrier, Buccaneer (they liked its internal bomb bay) & F4 Phantom.

The later two were deemed too aggressive a purchase. The Harrier lost out to the A4 Skyhawk.

Pound for pound the A4 could lift a much heavier payload than the Harrier.
                          That's a rather strange comparison as the Harrier was never about payload, it would lose out to most to that. It's main benefit and selling point was it's STOVL capability, which is ideal when you have a lack of runways, which is where Singapore may find itself in a war. The UK had them for use against the overwhelming number of Russians tanks in Eastern Europe where they trained for using them in heavily forested areas to pop up and give the tanks the good news during a Russian advance.

Quoting the president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics

"... if the CAPES(combat avionics programmed extension suite) becomes a casualty of the US government's 2015 budget request, it will not hurt his company's international F-16 upgrade offering"
                          That's somewhat stating the obvious. There is a lot of money to be made in upgrading F16's.

He goes on to say that the delayed CAPES funding would not drive up the cost of Lockheed's F16 upgrade offering for international customers

(He would say that wouldn't he?)
                          Absolutely.

And it was our defense minister who said we could wait before committing to the F35B. In the meantime, upgrade our 70 F16s.

Not sure if it was the DM or head of RSAF that recently watched a demonstration of the F35B, hence the rumours of a possible purchase.

Whatever way they go they will still have an extremely powerful air force that could probably take on and defeat the combined air forces of all it's neighbours put together.

Comment

That's a rather strange comparison as the Harrier was never about payload, it would lose out to most to that. It's main benefit and selling point was it's STOVL capability, which is ideal when you have a lack of runways, which is where Singapore may find itself in a war. The UK had them for use against the overwhelming number of Russians tanks in Eastern Europe where they trained for using them in heavily forested areas to pop up and give the tanks the good news during a Russian advance.
                            It's not a cheap airplane to operate though. Nor will the F35B be for that matter.

The beauty of the current F16 / F15 combo is that they possess the same engine.

Not sure if it was the DM or head of RSAF that recently watched a demonstration of the F35B, hence the rumours of a possible purchase.
                            I thought so too. It's also been reported in the Straits Times.

The news leaped out of the page at me when I read (at the Air Show) that the decision is deferred. They will focus on upgrading the F16s

Whatever way they go they will still have an extremely powerful air force that could probably take on and defeat the combined air forces of all it's neighbours put together.
                            Agreed. Hope we never have to use it.

The scenario I worry about is an unstable neighbour that tries to divert attention from their own incompetence and stirs up nationalistic or sectarian feelings.

I remember that avoidable war Britain had to fight over those South Atlantic islands
                            Last edited by 9V-SIA; 27 February 2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Officially 24...

The beauty of the current F16 / F15 combo is that they possess the same engine.
                              Our 16s are powered by PW F-100-PW229s whereas our 15s are powered by GE F110-GE-129Cs

Comment

Our 16s are powered by PW F-100-PW229s whereas our 15s are powered by GE F110-GE-129Cs
                                Thanks Nick C! Corrected a misconception
                                Last edited by 9V-SIA; 28 February 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X