No announcement yet.

Damaged luggage travelling with SQ - poor compensation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my luggage damaged 4 times in six months. Sh*tty feeling. I think the amount quoted has to to follow a "depreciation table" given by the airline insurers. Anything else will be out of the airlines own pockets.
    Unfortunately, you won't get back your purchase price of $390.00.
    Do let us know the outcome

Comment

post deleted
      Last edited by SQtraveller; 20 August 2017, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I am filling out the SQ claim form now after trying to get my case back to get a professional's opinion, lost and found said they couldn't return the bag until I submit the claim.

Anyway, see how it goes, glad I took a ton of photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
          When are you going, by the way?
          Were you going to go watch?

Originally posted by ozdude View Post
          ...I'll check with Samsonite what the current equivalent is for my counter claim.
          THAT might have been your first mistake.
          HUGE AL

Comment

Let's just say I'd have considered buying some popcorn...

Comment

the cost for my time to prolong the case would have been more expensive..... why agonise over such trevias......

Peace.................
              This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

I had arrived once at ARN and found one wheel from my Rimowa missing..... the counter for claims were missing people and I am not going to wait until they are manned.... walked out of the airport...... spoke to my office purchasing people the next day, company's driver took my case to Rimowa and got it fixed within a day...... think I paid 20 bucks..... no headaches of claiming and counter claiming..... definitely saved me plenty of agony.......
                This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

One last comment.

If I transport my 10 year old car, and the transporter crashes it in transit (irreparably damages it driving onto the ship, or container), ie does something to it outside of what it was designed for, and then offered a price that was depreciated from the 10 year old price as compensation. Is that fair? Would that compensation be enough to replace what was destroyed, would that allow me to buy an equivalent vehicle in today's cost? Probably not.
                  It might actually surprise you but that's what they and any insurer do.
                  Last edited by inix; 5 May 2013, 10:59 AM.
                  Life's A Bitch,
                  Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

The issue that the TS is facing now is the reason why I only have 1 hard case. Most of family luggages are soft cases and the only hard case is used for when I need to transport more fragile things.

Soft cases don't normally have these issues though they are susceptible to cuts, but even than, it hardly happens. And my last experience with claiming from SQ was actually quite pleasant. My $500 Samsonite bag was broke and after claiming, they gave me back $300.

Granted its not the full amount, but it is fair considering that I did used it for 2+ years after all.
                    Life's A Bitch,
                    Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

I'll be wearing a gopro camera.
                      lol. You'd look so funny wearing a Hero in Ion! Aren't these cameras usually used for extreme sports and diving trips?!!!

A friend is going to show me some of his images from a recent diving trip. Can't wait to see the quality of the images.

Back to the topic...

My baby Rimowa was damaged on a JFK-LHR AA flight about three years ago. The telescopic handle was pulled out and broken!!! I took it straight to the AA counter and filed a report. Suitcase was collected the next day. Came back to me several weeks later with a new handle.

Mummy Rimowa Salsa (coming up to 4-5 years old) was damaged on a BOM-LHR BA flight in January. There was a hairline fracture at the corner of the case. Similar circumstance as yours - case dropped from a great height presumably and cracked. Took it straight to the BA counter. Suitcase collected in two days. Could not be repaired. But i got a brand new exact replacement after a few weeks. Atler luggage (guys who were sorting out the repairs) had placed an order to replace it since they could not fix it.

According to reports on the BA board on another forum, this is standard procedure. We get an exact replacement. I was lucky in that they even placed the order for me. One of the other chaps on the forum had to go and source the suitcase himself, then get a refund from BA on the full amount paid.

So that's my experience with damaged luggage.

Comment

Let's just say I'd have considered buying some popcorn...
                        After all your 2c comments I'd be disappointed if you didn't make it. I'll even bring along some chairs for you.

Comment

It's now the 9th of May, we're still waiting... don't bother about the chairs, there's plenty in Ion. So where's the footage from your Gopro? And where's your lesson in engineering coming? We're all still waiting.

After all your chest thumping, you'd better make this a blockbuster.

Comment

It's now the 9th of May, we're still waiting... don't bother about the chairs, there's plenty in Ion. So where's the footage from your Gopro? And where's your lesson in engineering coming? We're all still waiting.

Look at Kyo+ with the quip!
                            HUGE AL

Comment

Looks like it may have been a straight-to-DVD feature

Comment

14th May now...I wonder what actually happened.

On a side note, my luggages were damaged twice by SQ too in the past...one was replaced completely with a new luggage and the other was fixed. Both encounters were very pleasant too... Maybe I am an easy going person...LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X