Suntory Yamazaki and Hakushu Whisky @ DFS T1 Arrivals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suntory Yamazaki and Hakushu Whisky @ DFS T1 Arrivals

I landed at Changi T1 yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised to find Suntory Yamazaki and Hakushu Single Malt Whiskies at DFS T1 Arrivals.

I had not noticed this available at DFS before and asked the sales person about it. He said it had just come in today, and usually sold out quickly.

I picked up a bottle of the Yamazaki (Retailing at S$91).

Anyone know if this is now widely available at DFS at Changi, or was I just very lucky that day?

Would the Japanese airports, such as NRT, HND or KIX, be the best place to buy Japanese whiskies? Anyone know where else to pick up Japanese whisky?
    Last edited by yflyer; 9 March 2015, 12:47 AM.

I know NRT has a good selection, picked up a Nikka whisky for a friend which is partially encased in metal Samurai when I was there last year. Never seen any Japanese whisky in DFS's outside Japan.

Comment

The best place to pick up Japanese whiskies, at least in Tokyo, is the Shinanoya chain of liquor stores. One of their most popular stores is in Kabuki-cho (yes I know) but there is also a well-located and stocked one in Ginza.

However, I would always recommend paying Liquors Hasegawa at Tokyo Station underground shopping arcade a visit. For a small fee - about JPY 100 - JPY 300, you can actually sample a vast range of spirits. It's at the Yaesu side of Tokyo station.

It is usually slightly cheaper to buy your whiskies in the city, rather than the airport. Japanese alcohol and consumption tax is fairly low and therefore there isn't that marked price differential between city prices and DFS prices. Just by way of example, the Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve (Yamazaki's new no age statement release) would typically retail at about JPY 3,300 (about S$38). The Japanese airport DFS shops will typically price the whiskies at the distributor's RRP, and therefore the prices would on most occasions be higher than the high street stores (which are not that tightly bound by RRP).

However, the whisky shopper in Japan is usually spoilt for choice. As a pick, I would always recommend picking up an Ichiro's Malt - it's hardly found outside Japan and is an excellent whisky for its age.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethor View Post
        I know NRT has a good selection, picked up a Nikka whisky for a friend which is partially encased in metal Samurai when I was there last year. Never seen any Japanese whisky in DFS's outside Japan.
        Thanks, Sethor! There was a very good selection at HND the last time I was there.

This was the first time I saw whisky at DFS in Changi as well.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
          The best place to pick up Japanese whiskies, at least in Tokyo, is the Shinanoya chain of liquor stores. One of their most popular stores is in Kabuki-cho (yes I know) but there is also a well-located and stocked one in Ginza.

However, I would always recommend paying Liquors Hasegawa at Tokyo Station underground shopping arcade a visit. For a small fee - about JPY 100 - JPY 300, you can actually sample a vast range of spirits. It's at the Yaesu side of Tokyo station.

It is usually slightly cheaper to buy your whiskies in the city, rather than the airport. Japanese alcohol and consumption tax is fairly low and therefore there isn't that marked price differential between city prices and DFS prices. Just by way of example, the Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve (Yamazaki's new no age statement release) would typically retail at about JPY 3,300 (about S$38). The Japanese airport DFS shops will typically price the whiskies at the distributor's RRP, and therefore the prices would on most occasions be higher than the high street stores (which are not that tightly bound by RRP).

However, the whisky shopper in Japan is usually spoilt for choice. As a pick, I would always recommend picking up an Ichiro's Malt - it's hardly found outside Japan and is an excellent whisky for its age.
          Thanks, kelvgoh! This is really useful information. Appreciated!

I can't believe the Yamazaki retails at S$38 in Japan!

Comment

I just brought a bottle of Yamazaki no age at 4482 Yen & a bottle of Nikka 17 years at 7106 Yen . Search few places for the 12 years but wasn't available.

Comment

Was back in Japan in October, most places seemed to be sold out of the high end single malts (especially at NRT). Managed to find a Liquor Mountain in Osaka which had a very good selection (lots of rare single malts), also checked out a Liquor Mountain in Tokyo near Ueno but it was not a patch on the Osaka store.

Comment

Was back in Japan in October, most places seemed to be sold out of the high end single malts (especially at NRT). Managed to find a Liquor Mountain in Osaka which had a very good selection (lots of rare single malts), also checked out a Liquor Mountain in Tokyo near Ueno but it was not a patch on the Osaka store.
                Hmmm...Liquor Mountain, need to remember that name for future reference. Is there a specific branch which has the best selection?

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
                  Hmmm...Liquor Mountain, need to remember that name for future reference. Is there a specific branch which has the best selection?
                  I have an upcoming trip to Osaka, would definitely visit one of the Liquor Mountain stores.

Seems there's 1 near Umeda and 1 near Shinsaibashi. Will visit both while I'm there.
                  Flickr, Reviews, SIN Credit Card Usage Reference Table

Comment

Interesting article on how some Japanese whiskies may be harder to get hold of in future.

http://www.eater.com/drinks/2015/12/...-whiskies-2015

Comment

Here is a shot of the range at the Liquor Mountain store in Osaka I visited.

Comment

Here is a shot of the range at the Liquor Mountain store in Osaka I visited.
                        Thanks for sharing! If I had known how hard it was to get age statement whiskies these days compared to no-age statement whiskies I would have set aside time to head to Liquor Mountain when I was in Osaka recently. Oh well...

Comment

Ok I'm very late to the conversation and this will be a little off topic but I just chanced upon the fact that Redmart sells a wide variety of Japanese whiskies

Yes it is massively marked up but this is definitely an option to pick up a Hibiki the next time you order your groceries online
                          Last edited by jonleong; 9 October 2016, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X