Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas to charge up to $160 for emergency exit seats

http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...0525-bk9h.html

Qantas will introduce new fees of up to $160 for emergency exit row seats which offer extra leg room on long-haul overseas flights.

Under new plans confirmed today the airline will introduce a pre-purchase option for emergency exit row seats for international trips in economy class.

"This will give customers greater choice and access to seats that offer more leg room. A similar service is offered by many other airlines," an airline spokesperson said in a statement.

The new fees are still being finalised, however, the airline will likely charge consumers $80 for shorter flights and $160 for longer flights. Under the changes, Trans-Tasman flights will be excluded.

Frequent flyers will also be able to use points to pre-purchase the seats (ranging from 10,000 to 20,000 points).
    The trend has caught on.

Also this actually represents a devaluation of QFF Platinum status as previously you could only pre-allocate these seats if you hold WP status.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Sounds a little LCCish to me.

Comment

When SQ was bad enough to not give priority to KF members for the seats, QF even charges for them...and even more than SQ.

Comment

20,000 points on top of your ticket for the privilege of sitting in economy? I'd want an upgrade to business class for that much!

Comment

Please someone tell me it's 160 malawian kwachas.......

Comment

I had a suspicion QF would be the airline that would follow suit. After all, they've been competing with SQ to design the stingiest FFP for redemptions.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
              When SQ was bad enough to not give priority to KF members for the seats, QF even charges for them...and even more than SQ.
              SQ already charging US$50 for emex seats since Nov 2008. The priority of emex seats used to be given to LPP, TPP and QPP, very rarely to KF members.

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              I had a suspicion QF would be the airline that would follow suit. After all, they've been competing with SQ to design the stingiest FFP for redemptions.
              SQ's burn rate is not too bad if you are looking at Y redemption or P/J other than A380 and 77W. Plus they are running 25% or 50% discount on certain routes, while all other routes are on the regular 15% discount. That is a lot better if you compare with the burn rate in CX Asia Miles. CX elites don't even get any elite bonus on their own program.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
                SQ's burn rate is not too bad if you are looking at Y redemption or P/J other than A380 and 77W.
                Those conditions are precisely why I, as someone based in LHR who likes to visit SE Asia and redeem in premium cabins, find KF rates stingy.
                Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
                That is a lot better if you compare with the burn rate in CX Asia Miles. CX elites don't even get any elite bonus on their own program.
                Depends on the route. It would cost me 70,000 Asia miles for a return upgrade on LHR-HKG-MNL. Not even the 15% discount and the 15% tier bonus would compensate for KF's upgrade rates on LHR-SIN-MNL. (I wouldn't use the 50%/25% promotions as indicative of normal rates of redemption.)

But back to the regularly scheduled programming, which is about QF's eye-popping charge for emex seats.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Please someone tell me it's 160 malawian kwachas.......
                  Yes, but QF also get to set the exchange rate. And it's 1 kwacha = 1 AUD, cash not accepted...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    Yes, but QF also get to set the exchange rate. And it's 1 kwacha = 1 AUD, cash not accepted...
                    HUGE AL

Comment

$160 per flight

Comment

Working...
                      X