Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC.net:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...25/2314706.htm

She says the situation was not life threatening.
    Nah, a whole of that size just isn't life threatening, they should have continued- after all they've got oxygen masks
    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

http://www.malaysiakini.com/news/86784

Malaysian poser over mid-air drama

Andrew Ong | Jul 26, 08 4:28pm

Fingers are being pointed at a aircraft maintenance company in Malaysia after a Qantas plane met with a near fatal mid-air disaster yesterday.

Sydney-based tabloid The Daily Telegraph quoted an anonymous senior Qantas pilot as a saying that the incident could have been due to the company’s outsourcing of maintenance to Malaysia.

The pilot said that there had been a lot of talk among pilots about the poor checks on aircraft being performed overseas.

“Qantas outsourcing maintenance to Malaysia is certainly worrying a lot of us pilots. There has been aircraft coming back with dodgy staples to secure wiring,” said the anonymous pilot.

There are however no confirmation if the plane had ever been repaired or maintained in Malaysia.

Yesterday morning, QF flight 30 using a 17-year-old Boeing 747 suffered a mid-air rupture on the fuselage while over the South China Sea flying from London to Melbourne.

The incident left a gaping hole three metres wide on the plane’s underbelly, causing the cabin to lose pressure. This caused the plane to plunge 6,000 metres (20,000 ft) before stabilising.

Pilots were forced to perform an emergency landing in Manila yesterday at 11am. There were no reports of injuries.

According to AFP, the loud explosion followed by the plane’s nosedive sent passengers into a panic with many of them thinking that they would die.

“Everyone was just thinking to themselves ‘oh I think this is it’... I heard someone scream. People were just looking at each other in sheer terror,” said passenger Steve Winchester.

Jumbo jet a 'rust bucket'

Qantas has yet to officially reveal the cause of the incident, but The Daily Telegraph had deemed the jumbo jet a “rust bucket” because engineers had found high levels of corrosion on the plane.

The incident comes at a time where the Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) has come under fire locally for refusing to release 1,000 pages of its audits of maintenance facilities in Hong Kong, Singapore, Philippines, New Zealands and Malaysia.

CASA was asked to release the full audit after a leak last year of the 2006 Qantas audit which found one jet liner marred with defects after it was returned from Singapore, reported Adelaide-based newspaper The Age on July 21.

The report said that there had been a surge in the use of overseas contractors to maintain Qantas’ fleet of late.

In December 2007, Qantas entered a deal with MAS Aerospace Engineering (MAE), a wholly owned subsidiary of Malaysian Airlines, in a bid to enter Southeast Asia’s maintenance, repair and overhaul market.

According to a December 2007 report by The Australian, the fee being paid to MAE is undisclosed but it was reported that Qantas would own half of MAE under the deal.

The MAE facility in the former Subang International Airport, Selangor is touted as a state of the art aircraft maintenance and repair centre with clients including KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Garuda Indonesia and Royal Brunei Airlines.

Comment

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...525&sec=nation

We don't handle Boeing 747s, says MAS

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines has refuted a Qantas pilot's allegation that maintenance of the Quantas Boeing 747 that suffered a ruptured fuselage on Friday had been outsourced to Malaysia.

MAS says the Australian-based airline has also confirmed the claim to be untrue.

MAS senior general manager Mohd Roslan Ismail in a statement Saturday said that MAS only handled the engineering and maintenance of Qantas’ Boeing 737 aircraft and not the 747.

He added that MAS’ engineering and maintenance division held an excellent track record.

“The increasing number of foreign airlines who outsource their aircraft to us is a testimony to our success in this field,” he said, adding that third party contracts comprise 40% of their business.

An unnamed senior Qantas pilot on Saturday told The Daily Telegraph, a Sydney tabloid, that the mid-air calamity on Qantas flight QF30 from London to Melbourne could have been caused by the airline’s outsourcing of maintenance to Malaysia.

A rupture on the fuselage of the 17-year-old aircraft occurred while flying at 8,839m over the South China Sea from a Hong Kong stopover and forced the pilot to perform an emergency landing in Manila at 11am.

None of the 346 passengers and 19 crew was hurt in the emergency landing.

A sheet of metal was torn from the front of the right wing. The plane bearing registration VH-OJK had received a new interior at Victoria’s Avalon airport in March.

Comment

So much for bitterly hitting at SQ whenever they get the chance. Lets not even go into the issue of service and ammenities, it seems like Qantas doesn't even put enough into safety and maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
            it seems like Qantas doesn't even put enough into safety and maintenance
            I'm glad you know what causesd this incident even if nobody else does at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              I'm glad you know what causesd this incident even if nobody else does at the moment.
              Right on. Everything is just speculation, not facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                Right on. Everything is just speculation, not facts.
                Exactly.....even the so called pilot complaining about Malaysian maintenance standards, when the 747's doen't even go there. The BBC report i mentioned earlier even mentioned this particular plane had gone through its checks in Australia.

Comment

I really don't like the way Australian media and unions start to point the fingers before they find out what's actually happened. I know for a fact that Qantas' 747 maintenance is done in Avalon, as I have a friend who worked as a technician there. Maybe they ought to reflect the fact before saying it out loud and create an empty sensationalism.

Comment

Just got home on today's QF30. Rather uneventful flight I must say. Talk on the plane was the QF30 decompression incident, my seatmate's ex gf was an FA on that flight and he showed me her smses that she'd sent out telling everyone that she's safe and sound in MNL etc (no HUGE AL I didn't copy down the number ). Then they handed out newspapers and on the front page was a story of the QF30 incident along with pics of the damaged aircraft. Reminded me of the time I flew SQ the day after SQ6.

Onboard experience itself was fantastic as usual - thanks again QF. More in my trip report. TR updates to continue in the next 24 hours or so - promise!
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/national/qa...0727-3lqc.html

INVESTIGATORS have found fragments from an oxygen bottle blasted throughout the baggage compartment on the Qantas Boeing 747 that was forced to make an emergency landing in Manila after a mid-air explosion on Friday.

The discovery of fragments embedded in baggage and in the compartment's ceiling strongly supports the view that one of several cylinders exploded, tearing a three-metre hole in the fuselage and forcing the pilots to descend rapidly for thousands of feet.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Is it normal for oxygen bottles to be held in the baggage compartment or are these bottles that are supposed to support the masks that drop from the ceiling?

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                          Is it normal for oxygen bottles to be held in the baggage compartment or are these bottles that are supposed to support the masks that drop from the ceiling?
                          IIRC from the placement of the tanks, it's the oxygen supply for the cockpit.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            Yeap. I'm just hitting at them with some baseless speculation I can come up with because I simply hate them

Comment

Originally posted by concept|infinit View Post
                              Yeap. I'm just hitting at them with some baseless speculation I can come up with because I simply hate them

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                                (no HUGE AL I didn't copy down the number ).
                                You know, you really are slacking in your assigned tasks!
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X