The Qantas Anni Horribilis Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.theage.com.au/travel/trav...1218-l19l.html

Qantas passengers on board a flight that turned back shortly after leaving Singapore have described seeing "tongues of fire" coming from one of the 747 jumbo jet's engines.

Flight QF10 was on its way to Melbourne carrying 354 passengers when the incident occurred.

Dylan Brady, 38, was returning to Melbourne after visiting Singapore on business when the plane "convulsed and lost power".

"(My business partner and I) both thought something had fallen off the bottom, or the landing gear had come undone," he said.

"Then we saw this orange light and we both looked out the window to see fire coming out of the back of the jet. It was pretty scary."

Mr Brady said the flames lasted about 10 seconds, while the whole incident was over in about 25 seconds. He said the passengers knew something had happened but stayed calm, and the captain quickly informed them he had shut the engine down.

"When he shut the engine off obviously everything was ok, the plane slowed down a little bit and then he sort of pulled gently and slowly to the left to get out of the flight path because the plane behind us was only a minute and half behind and still going full speed," he said.

On its return to Singapore, Mr Brady said the plane was directed to its own runway which was lined with fire engines and emergency crews.

"To Qantas' credit, by the time the plane got back to the ground they had hotels for everybody. It was pretty well organised. There were some conniptions when the business class passengers got their luggage and economy didn't . . . I didn't notice anyone who was ridiculously disgruntled."
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

• "To Qantas' credit, by the time the plane got back to the ground they had hotels for everybody. It was pretty well organised."
      Unfortunately, this could be because QF is getting used to their aircraft troubles...
      HUGE AL

Comment

• and again

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225816045086

Passengers stuck for four hours in A380

A QANTAS A380 has been grounded in Melbourne, stranding 443 passengers who were stuck on the tarmac for more than four hours.

The Airbus super jumbo, in service for just days, was due to take off from Melbourne bound for Los Angeles at midday (AEDT) today.

Passengers now face a 23-hour delay, with a mechanical fault forcing the aircraft's departure to be rescheduled for 11am tomorrow.

Flight QF93 was initially delayed one-and-a-half hours because of a fuel gauge fault.

It was taxiing when the problem recurred, forcing take-off to be aborted.

Passengers remained on board while maintenance crews examined the problem. They were not allowed to disembark because of heightened security procedures for US-bound flights that made re-screening passengers impractical.

At 5.15pm (AEDT) Qantas cancelled the flight altogether when it became apparent the crew would exceed their on-duty time limits.

:It's over-nighting tonight due to a fuel indication defect,'' Qantas spokesman Simon Rushton said.

"Ultimately, we weren't able to rectify the issue before the pilot and cabin crew exceeded their operating hours.''

Mr Rushton said passengers were given refreshments and were able to use the in-flight entertainment system during the on-board delay.

They would be accommodated in hotels tonight or receive free transport home and back to the airport.

Mr Rushton said the plane involved was the newest in the Qantas fleet, having only arrived at the end of December.

The fuel gauge problem had not been experienced before with the Qantas Airbus, he said.

Comment

• The start of a new year too.......

Comment

• These flight will not have been cancelled if it had been fitted with measuring sticks. Makes me wonder why Airbus left it out in the first place.
            Last edited by boing; 4 January 2010, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• And the woes continue....

Another long tarmac wait for Qantas A380 passengers

ANDREW HEASLEY
              January 6, 2010 - 12:33PM

The 2010 annus horribilis continues for Qantas, with passengers stuck on the tarmac in another Airbus 380 for hours on end, this time in Los Angeles.

It has emerged that 398 passengers were stuck for three-and-a-half hours on the tarmac on board the flagship superjumbo in Los Angeles on Sunday, US time, while engineers tried to rectify technical faults.

Eventually passengers on QF12 were off-loaded after the crew had exceeded their allowable on-duty hours. The Sydney-bound flight was rescheduled for the next day and arrived this morning.

A Qantas spokesman said the plane had a brake indication fault that occurred twice, the second time after an attempted repair.

It is the second time this week Qantas passengers have been stuck on board an A380 for hours.

The incident mirrors Monday's hold-up at Melbourne Airport, where almost 450 passengers were stuck on board an A380 for more than five hours while engineers tried to fix a technical fault.

The repairs dragged on and eventually passengers were let off the plane after the flight was postponed to the next day.

Qantas blamed the strict new security screening regime required for US flights to America for the decision to keep passengers on board for so long.

Bizarrely, the two incidents were happening almost simultaneously, with the delay hitting the LA flight as passengers prepared to disembark the faulty A380 in Melbourne.

Since the New Year, Qantas has suffered outages of its check-in system, baggage system and aircraft malfunctions that have caused lengthy delays to the travel plans thousands of passengers in Australia and internationally.

Source: theage.com.au
              http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...0106-ltbw.html
              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

• http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...21-238190.html

Qantas passengers sue Airbus over terrifying plunge

Compensation sought would be in millions of dollars, said lawyer representing 76 passengers. -AFP

Tue, Sep 21, 2010
                AFP

SYDNEY - Dozens of Qantas passengers and crew are launching a multi-million dollar case against Airbus and a component-maker over a terrifying mid-air plunge which left scores injured, a lawyer said Monday.

Attorney Floyd Wisner said he was representing 76 passengers and crew who were on the 2008 flight which dived steeply twice, tossing people around the cabin and forcing an emergency landing at a remote Australian air force base.

Wisner refused to put a figure on the compensation sought in US courts from Europe's Airbus and American firm Northrop Grumman, which made a data unit on the plane, but said it would be in the millions of dollars.

"I can tell you from my experience of cases like this, the awards probably would range from low six figures going up, depending on the injury," he told AFP via telephone from the United States.

"Some of the people with very, very serious physical and psychological (injuries) would be in the few million dollar range."

Among the mostly Australian group he is representing, which also includes passengers from Britain, Sri Lanka, India and Singapore, are the three Qantas pilots who were on the flight, he said.

The Airbus A330-300 was flying at 37,000 feet from Singapore to Perth in October 2008 when the autopilot disengaged and the plane nose-dived, plunging 650 feet (200 metres) and throwing passengers and loose items around the cabin.

After the pilots brought it back to altitude, the plane went into another plunge and dropped another 400 feet. More than 100 people were injured.

Comment

• 15 S'pore passengers join action to sue Airbus over Qantas flight plunge

15 S'pore passengers join action to sue Airbus over Qantas flight plunge

SINGAPORE : Fifteen passengers from Singapore have joined a multi-million dollar lawsuit against Airbus and a component-maker over a 2008 Qantas flight incident.

On 7 October 2008, a Qantas flight plunged rapidly twice, while on a flight from Singapore to Perth.

Now, a Chicago law firm, representing some 100 passengers and crew of that flight, wants to sue Airbus and a company which manufactured one of the plane's components, in a multi-million dollar law suit.

It happened two years ago, but those on flight QF72 still remember the incident with a chill.

Passengers travelling to Perth from Singapore on the flight felt the plane plunge rapidly midair.

"I saw everything hit the roof all of a sudden and then came down within one second or two. I have height phobia right now because that incident is (always) in my mind, so I'm avoiding flying," said a passenger who was on flight QF72.

Experts said a report by the Australian Transportation Safety Bureau showed that the incident was the result of a design fault on the aircraft's computer system.

Floyd Wisner, a lawyer with Wisner Law Firm in Chicago said: "When this matter first happened, Qantas was offering people things like free travel tickets, things like that, which is fine. But for people who have suffered serious physical or psychological injuries, that's just not fair compensation for what they went through.

"These people are requiring or undergoing medical and psychological care and have serious fear of flying now. That has interfered with their ability to conduct their business and enjoy the quality of their life. So I think in that sense, more fair compensation is required."

But time may be running out for those who want to join the claim.

They must do so by October 7 - when the statute of limitation expires on the second anniversary of the incident.

So far, 15 passengers from Singapore have joined the action, but the firm's Asia Pacific representative said there are potentially 70 others entitled to the claims.

"A lot of passengers said that unless they were physically injured, that is to say, broken a limb or something of that like, they weren't entitled to be involved in the lawsuit. But the law provides quite expressly for claims to be made for trauma, and there is no question that this is a particularly traumatic event for the passengers," said Barry O'Sullivan, director of Asia Pacific Claims Management.

Qantas told Channel NewsAsia it cannot disclose the compensation to passengers and how many were paid. But it did provide counselling, refunds, ex-gratia payments, and even took care of their medical expenses.

Wisner said the amount of compensation depends on each individual.

He said: "Each person's injuries will have to be evaluated separately, ranging from those who suffered very serious physical injuries to those who suffered almost totally psychological injuries.

"And psychological injuries, I don't want to belittle those because some of those are very serious. But I think it would range somewhere from below six figures to the millions."

He added it will take about four to six months to resolve the matter through settlements.

However, if a settlement is not reached, he estimates it would take another year and a half.

Taken off Channelnewsasia

Comment

• http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthre...t=5709&page=11
                    HUGE AL

Comment

• Not seen it mentioned elsewhere so it may as well be here.....it seems QF seem to find themselves in a bit of a pickle (again) at the moment, with the Mr Joyce blaming everything and everyone but himself for their current woes.

It's would be quite funny to watch if it wasn't for the fact you fear a large number of people's jobs are probably at risk at the moment.

Comment

• As if things couldn't get any worse for QF already, they've now clipped one of it's A380's wings with one of it's 747's

Unbelievable...

Comment

• Obviously the title of this thread is no longer technically correct.

May I suggest Anni Horribilis - with the permission of the thread starter, of course.

Comment

• well, the LAX collision helped decide which a/c to ground.

My personal experiences with QF domestic (SYD or MEL-CBR) have been less than spectacular. After they lost my luggage during the Oct 2011 grounding fiasco, I have switched all my domestic to VA.

Comment

• Qantas Grounds Two Planes Involved In Collision In LAX

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...s-airport.html

Two Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN) jumbo jets will be grounded for days to fix wingtip damage caused when they clipped each other at Los Angeles International Airport.

The airline and Australian regulators are investigating the collision late on Feb. 27 between the Airbus Group NV (AIR) A380, the world’s largest passenger plane, and a Boeing Co. (BA) 747-400 as the aircraft were being towed from a hangar, Sydney-based Qantas said yesterday.

Comment

• Wow! Just saw the news on this here. INCREDIBLE!

Ever since this thread started, I've been wary of flying QF. Completely speechless now.
                                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                                X