• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas 747 makes emergency landing after 'uncontained engine failure'

Again??? Another QF incident...

-----------
    Qantas 747 makes emergency landing after 'uncontained engine failure'
    By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

An Australia-bound Qantas Boeing 747 returned to San Francisco this morning after suffering a problem with one of its engines. The San Francisco Chronicle writes the "engine failure in midair punched a hole in the external casing, an incident that one expert called 'extremely rare.' "

Such an incident is referred to as an "uncontained engine failure." The Chronicle says it occurred on Qantas Flight 74 as it "reached 30,000 feet about 45 minutes after takeoff ... ."

Following the incident, The Associated Press says the Qantas crew "shut down [the engine] on the Boeing 747 and sought priority clearance to return to San Francisco." The flight had departed for Sydney on Monday night around 11:10 p.m. PT, returning to make the emergency landing around 12:45 a.m. PT this morning, according to AP.

Ouch - that's my regular flight to/from SFO. Hopefully it gets fixed before my next trip - that aircraft out of action means no more free upgrades. It's one of the few 4 class 747s operating a 3 class service in the fleet, where QF Platinums get seated in a higher cabin.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
      The flight had departed for Sydney on Monday night around 11:10 p.m. PT, returning to make the emergency landing around 12:45 a.m. PT this morning, according to AP.
      So explosion at 11.55pm, landing at 12.45am. Looks like they didn't bother to dump fuel and would have landed heavy?

Comment

It's a bit worrying with the spade of issues QF has been having recently.
        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
          It's a bit worrying with the spade of issues QF has been having recently.
          Wonder who they are gonna push the blame to this time ? The foreign maintenance organizations they outsourced to were the convenient scapegoats something screwed up than.

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
            Wonder who they are gonna push the blame to this time ? The foreign maintenance organizations they outsourced to were the convenient scapegoats something screwed up than.
            Complacency perhaps? Too many problems in a short spade of time... Not a good thing...
            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

I think this is most likely a maintenance problem. The RB211 engine has been in service for decades and it is very reliable as far as I am concerned.
              Such a gentle way about you / All around the world / Wouldn't go away without you / Singapore Girl, you're a great way to fly

Comment

Working...
              X