The Qantas Anni Horribilis Master Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Qantas Anni Horribilis Master Thread

A passenger plane en route from London to Melbourne has made an emergency landing in the Philippines after suffering cabin pressure problems.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7524733.stm

Airport Authority spokesman Octavio Lina said there was a "big hole in the right side near the wing". Mr Lina said the hole was about 2.5m to 3m in diameter. He added that the flooring near the affected section gave way, exposing some of the cargo below, and part of the ceiling also collapsed.

"Upon disembarkation, there were some passengers who vomited. You can see in their faces that they were really scared," he said.

Seems like it's below door 2R.

Registration was VH-OJK.

Comment

More photos here...

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...492712146.html

Comment

Wonder who are they going to blame now for shoddy maintenance.

Comment

actually...they are inspecting the passengers baggage near the hole as well.

Comment

Yikes!
            Would be most interested in the outcome of the investigation...

In the meantime, since they're so stretched on planes, i hope one (3 class) jumbo out of action isn't going to throw things into disarray too greatly.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Guess what. Was watching Channel 10 news just now and apparently it was quoted from an engineering union that the aircraft in question hasn't had maintenance conducted overseas before.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                Guess what. Was watching Channel 10 news just now and apparently it was quoted from an engineering union that the aircraft in question hasn't had maintenance conducted overseas before.
                Might not have been a maintenance issue though...
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Reading the story I thought that the hole could have come from someone’s bag. If it did come from a bag, what will happen to the passenger responsible?

TAZ MAN

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ MAN View Post
                    Reading the story I thought that the hole could have come from someone’s bag. If it did come from a bag, what will happen to the passenger responsible?
                    And if a bag, was it loaded in LHR or HKG ?

Comment

I love how the tabloids, and not surprisingly the Age(d BC) are making the reduction in altitude to 10k feet look like an uncontrolled plunge.

Here's hoping QF30 tomorrow would be a lot less eventful or I'm going to have lots of work to do when updating the TR.

Comment

http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video....explainer.cnn

CNN video.

On a side note: Glad to see Richard Quest is back!
                        Last edited by SQflyergirl; 2 August 2008, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Might not have been a maintenance issue though...
                          From a BBC report:

Safety concerns were raised about the 17-year-old Boeing 747-438 Longreach in posts on an online engineers' forum in February, which referred to the detection of "serious corrosion issues" during a maintenance check at Avalon airport in March.
                          but...

"The most recent maintenance check on this aircraft were for a 'D' [most thorough] check in Qantas's Sydney facility in 2004 and two 'C' [regular] checks in Qantas's facility in 2006 and 2008," she said.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ MAN View Post

TAZ MAN
                            Zero chance. Explosives will leave obvious burn marks around the hole which is not evident here.

Comment

From Herald Sun website:

Qantas engineers last night said the 3m hole in the fuselage near the wing could have been caused by an exploding oxygen canister or fire extinguisher.
                              Now we have a third option of how the hole appeared.

Comment

Working...
                              X