No announcement yet.

July 9 - 11 : SQ presents new F and J seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a big fan of SQ's 77W and A380 J seats (1-2-1) -- I don't mind getting up to flip the seat over to turn it into a bed -- but I can't help thinking that on a 77W, a layout similar to JAL's new business class would be ideal.

I have not tried it myself, but at least looking at the layout, it seems to offer the best compromise between maximising utilisation of available space (2-3-2) and offering pax a flat bed as well as aisle access.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/newsky/ss7/business/seat/

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tri...business-class

Comment

Originally posted by yflyer View Post
      I am a big fan of SQ's 77W and A380 J seats (1-2-1) -- I don't mind getting up to flip the seat over to turn it into a bed -- but I can't help thinking that on a 77W, a layout similar to JAL's new business class would be ideal.

I have not tried it myself, but at least looking at the layout, it seems to offer the best compromise between maximising utilisation of available space (2-3-2) and offering pax a flat bed as well as aisle access.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/newsky/ss7/business/seat/

http://www.businesstraveller.com/tri...business-class
      The JAL J cabin looks nice, although very cramped, but even with the smartest seating arrangements, that's 2-3-3, the seats cannot be as wide as the 1-2-1 on SQ's 77W and 388

Comment

Originally posted by Durian View Post
        The JAL J cabin looks nice, although very cramped, but even with the smartest seating arrangements, that's 2-3-3, the seats cannot be as wide as the 1-2-1 on SQ's 77W and 388
        Cramped? If one's only measure is width, yes sure. If the measure is head and foot space in the bed position, perhaps not.

Comment

Maybe they could incorporate a better bar like on Virgin Australia's 773ER's - I really like the opportunity to mix with other passengers and crew particularly on long-haul flights.

Comment

Originally posted by pungpui View Post
            Maybe they could incorporate a better bar like on Virgin Australia's 773ER's - I really like the opportunity to mix with other passengers and crew particularly on long-haul flights.
            No bar, please!

Comment

LHR will be getting the first two new 77Ws...

Comment

Originally posted by bent View Post
                LHR will be getting the first two new 77Ws...
                Just as i predicted. SQ really pays attention to LHR

Comment

Originally posted by SMK77 View Post
                  No bar, please!
                  whats wrong with a bar?

Comment

whats wrong with a bar?
                    Loud drunk pax, distracting others who look forward to some peace in the cabin. then again, I'm biased as I don't touch alcohol while on board on almost all flights.

Comment

Originally posted by CarbonMan View Post
                      Loud drunk pax, distracting others who look forward to some peace in the cabin. then again, I'm biased as I don't touch alcohol while on board on almost all flights.
                      Glad to see an ally on this one. I really don't want to hear conversations happening five rows away when I want to sleep.

I've never understood the lavishing of alcohol on airline passengers. How does a drunken passenger exit the craft safely in an emergency or not be an obstacle to the egress of others?

I'd love a drink on a flight to really enjoy the experience but I've never once touched alcohol on board and every flying guide I've read says not to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                        Glad to see an ally on this one. I really don't want to hear conversations happening five rows away when I want to sleep.

I've never understood the lavishing of alcohol on airline passengers. How does a drunken passenger exit the craft safely in an emergency or not be an obstacle to the egress of others?

I'd love a drink on a flight to really enjoy the experience but I've never once touched alcohol on board and every flying guide I've read says not to.
                        each to their own. never had this problem as the bar is generally separated by a curtain and drowned out by the engine noise. i've met new business clients in inflight lounges so maybe i've just personally had good experiences.

a far worse problem is babies crying WITHIN the cabin, or kids who uncontrollably open and close window shades to keep the entire cabin awake during long hauls in business/first, while their parents don't discipline.

Comment

each to their own. never had this problem as the bar is generally separated by a curtain and drowned out by the engine noise. i've met new business clients in inflight lounges so maybe i've just personally had good experiences.

a far worse problem is babies crying WITHIN the cabin, or kids who uncontrollably open and close window shades to keep the entire cabin awake during long hauls in business/first, while their parents don't discipline.
                          Agreed. Especially where kids open the window shades and immediately jolts everyone up from their sleep. Far worse than having a bar and having a bar is a nice place to mingle around too, and people generally do not talk that loudly

Comment

Well, the problem with drunk people is that they may not stay in the bar area especially if they have an equally drunk mate somewhere else. I've had a couple bad experiences on BOM-SIN and CCU-SIN. It's bad enough that it's a red-eye but to have a guy talking loudly (drunk people don't seem to be aware of volume) throughout the flight sends my blood pressure up.

Yes, you say, babies and kids are uncontrollable at times - there's nothing much one can do until one can afford to have a private plane. But we can try to reduce the probability of a drunk pax by not introducing a bar. I'm not against having an area for people to mingle especially on ultra-long flights, that's fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JonLee View Post
                              Far worse than having a bar and having a bar is a nice place to mingle around too, and people generally do not talk that loudly
                              How many flights have you taken with a bar on board and where were they from/to ?.

Comment

I've flown Virgin Australia's J class long-haul a number of times and handful of times on Emirates A380 J class and haven't had any problems with rowdy passengers, all to/from Australian cities. Yes there have been drunk people on those overnight flights, but the bar is far enough from the seat area and the aircraft engine noise has been enough to drown out any rowdiness - just in my own experience I guess the bar has never kept me from having a good nights rest.

On the other hand, I've had one particularly bad experience on SQ B777-300ER J class (in the smaller 2 row cabin) where the kids guaranteed I could not sleep by pulling up and down the shades even after the crew asked them numerous times to stop it. MH First on A380 (with an adults-only concept) have it on the money!

Comment

Working...
                                X