Peak period for India travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak period for India travel

Hi all, we will be travelling to India in September last week. Air India has now made seat selection a payable affair and we have to shell out 30 for emergency exit row. My mother needs extra legroom and she is wondering if there is a chance of getting empty seats towards the back of the plane to stretch her legs or she needs to fork out the cash for the exit row seat. Is September 22 that time a peak period for flights to India?

Originally posted by balajih67 View Post
    Hi all, we will be travelling to India in September last week. Air India has now made seat selection a payable affair and we have to shell out 30 for emergency exit row. My mother needs extra legroom and she is wondering if there is a chance of getting empty seats towards the back of the plane to stretch her legs or she needs to fork out the cash for the exit row seat. Is September 22 that time a peak period for flights to India?
    My dad traveled exactly at that time last year. No, it shouldn't be peak season at all, because most people will return to school/college. He got a cheaper fare around 700 back then. Funny thing is, he actually got asked if he'd be willing to upgrade to PEY for $100 more.

Regarding empty row seats, all I've heard from in the forums is that you do have to pay extra for exit row seats, but obviously on the 77W those seats are also windowless.

Comment

Originally posted by balajih67 View Post
      If you are flying on an AI flight, as opposed to an SQ flight, some of the load factor conditions will be the same (e.g. time of year pressures), some will be different (e.g. how well can AI marketing/sales department sell the seats on their flights as opposed to competitors) and some simply can't be predicted (e.g. on the day you travel there is a large tour group on the plane, but the next day there isn't).

Airlines have gotten very good at filling planes in low season, so if her needs are very real, and she would have an awful flight, with significant discomfort afterwards if she does end up confined to a single regular Y seat, you have to weigh up the peace of mind knowing that won't happen in advance and decide what you're prepared to pay for that.

The other issue that comes to mind is that supposing there is a row at the back that she could request moving to, will she be the only passenger on that flight who feels they have a similar entitlement? Boarding a Y cabin on a plane is a very tense time, with most of the passengers eyeing off potential unoccupied real estate! Everyone has their own argument why it should be theirs.

Just my thoughts on the matter. Hope you have a pleasant flight!

Comment

I might have also misread, but the India flights in the month of September/October get packed because it is a festive season. Typically, in other cases September seems to typically be classified as the start of off peak season.

Comment

Working...
        X