Shipping Query: Where's My New Car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Query: Where's My New Car?

I know there are a few of our members here who are affiliated with shipping, but my question is sort of a long shot....
    I ordered a VW two months back, and I rang the dealer yesterday to get an update.
    They tell me the car is in Emden, Germany ready to ship over.
    Now, you can begin to see where this is going....
    I found a lovely little site on the net that shows marine traffic.......
    Course, i don't know which shipping company or specific ship VW use, so I can't check it's progress across the water....

Anyone any idea who VW use?
    Looking at the pics of the ships, would something like Lapis Arrow be the sort of carrier used for such car shipments (as mine is one of many coming over)?
    If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

I know a very nice gentleman who may be able to answer that.

Perhaps he is away on a trip now (in Europe), but I'm sure he'll get down answering this thread as soon as he notices it.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
      Looking at the pics of the ships, would something like Lapis Arrow be the sort of carrier used for such car shipments (as mine is one of many coming over)?
      https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/Ma...VesselID=26270

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/2879428385/

Comment

If you do find out the name of the ship your car is loaded onto (I think VW will use quite a few ships to transport their cars) you can locate it through an AIS tracker like this one: http://www.digital-seas.com/
        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

I presume you are talking about shipping to the US, east coast.... looking into the list I have, I cannot see any ships calling into Emden until mid and end November. Maybe not shipped by us, but your car may be transhipped overland to Bremerhaven, where it is the hub port for cars ....

There we would have numerous ships loading from today to next week for the US.

Lapis Arrow could be loading your VW as she is currently in Emden and looking into K Line schedule, I could not see Lapis Arrow as listed to load for the US. Would prefer if your car is shipped with one of these fellas...

This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

Haha, I wonder how many bottles of Linie are on that!

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
              I presume you are talking about shipping to the US, east coast.... l
              Sadly, not, I'm UK........
              I should probably have mentioned that at the outset.
              Guess that might make it harder for any information, given US-based operating environment?
              the AIS tracking thing i was using is here.

Kapitan, that ship looks enormous........wonder how many cars VW could cram on one of those..
              If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                Sadly, not, I'm UK........
                I should probably have mentioned that at the outset.
                Guess that might make it harder for any information, given US-based operating environment?
                the AIS tracking thing i was using is here.

Kapitan, that ship looks enormous........wonder how many cars VW could cram on one of those..
                That one, 8000 cars capacity... largest in the world...

ok .. UK, then you should not be looking at those ocean carriers.... for intra EU, there are 2 or 3 companies, 1 is UECC, which as far as I know do not have any ships calling into Emden... likely your car is transhipped from another port.

Comment

I hate dealers and their vague answers......in hindsight, "waiting in Emden to be shipped over" could very well cover overland or transhipping to another port before hitting the UK shores.
                  Oh well, I'll just have to make constant daily phonecalls nearer the time...
                  "Is it nearly there yet?"

Comment

I can relate to your pain Javaman. I waited 3 months for my car to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                      Haha, I wonder how many bottles of Linie are on that!
                      Wouldn't that be Wilhelmsen instead of Wallenius?
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                        I presume you are talking about shipping to the US, east coast.... looking into the list I have, I cannot see any ships calling into Emden until mid and end November. Maybe not shipped by us, but your car may be transhipped overland to Bremerhaven, where it is the hub port for cars ....

There we would have numerous ships loading from today to next week for the US.

Lapis Arrow could be loading your VW as she is currently in Emden and looking into K Line schedule, I could not see Lapis Arrow as listed to load for the US. Would prefer if your car is shipped with one of these fellas...

Any idea if m/v MEDEA is still running?
                        God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Hehe, I saw Wilhelmsen.. just assumed Will would be the guy also running the show on that, not Wallenius!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                            Hehe, I saw Wilhelmsen.. just assumed Will would be the guy also running the show on that, not Wallenius!
                            They only joined up their logistics department but are still kept as 2 seperate companies as I was very sternly reminded only a month ago... The Norwegians and Swedes still have this love-hate thing going on and I love winding them up whenever I get the chance!!

Comment

Pinkfloyd, yes Medea is still running. PM me for more details and let me know how you are connected.

Comment

Working...
                              X