Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who Is Looking For A Job In The Aviation Industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Looking For A Job In The Aviation Industry?

OK, so the end of the year is approaching. Some of us are expecting our year-end bonuses soon. Let's own up: Who among is is looking to jump ship?

Specifically, who is looking (or hoping) to join the aviation industry? I am.
    My Cafe Adventures
    Be Among The First To Savour Aromatic Vietnamese Coffee
    http://www.mycafeadventures.com/

I wouldn't mind working in a marketing/PR/lobbying capacity for an airline.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Been there, done that. As an external consultant, though.

Comment

No bonus for me so can't afford to jump ship.

Anyway can't say I'm particularly interested in working for an airline. All I really want is to carry on with my current job but marry some incredibly rich woman who will pay for me to travel SQ in F whenever I get the urge.

Comment

I want to get into airline catering like SATS or Cathay City. BUT! too bad i am not done school yet

Comment

I'm too young to get a job in the aviation industry but I think it would be cool to be an SQ Internal Investigator or a, "spy."
            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Unfortunately, the aviation industry's pay (in some geographic areas at least) is slightly uncompetitive.

Virgin for example have a salary of around £15 000 for their long haul cabin crew.
              Comparisons for graduate management jobs don't bode well either.

Comment

I was once learning to become a commercial pilot, but couldn't get the grades in the relevant classes for the qantas cadetship or uni courses so had to shelve the plan, I'll still get my private pilot's license one day...

Comment

Originally posted by Singapore_Air View Post
                  Unfortunately, the aviation industry's pay (in some geographic areas at least) is slightly uncompetitive.
                  The above concurs with what I heard from a friend of mine, who used to work as a sales person in SATS. HI wonder why... Isn't aviation in Asia/Pacific a booming industry? I know SIA doesn't pay top dollars. But how about other companies like airframe manufacturers or MRO companies?

I am one who believes that you'll perform your best if you have passion for what you do. Artistes performing on stage certainly are passionate about what they do, or they wouldn't survive up there. But how many of us like what we do? We may do something but we wouldn't necessarily give our best after the initial few years, when the fire within you burns out. Or, we may work in a job not because we like it, but simply because we majored in that field in the university.

It has never been easy to marry interest, knowledge, skills and the potential salary. You may possess an interest in something but if given the chance to do it as a job, you may not have the skills for it. Or you may have passion for something, but it won't necessarily pay the bills. I know of a colleague who wants to be a childcare teacher, but childcare doesn't pay well, so she is staying in her current job, which she doesn't like. How many of us are brave enough to give up a high-paying job and follow your heart, given the constraints like having a family to feed?

Back to the issue of low-paying jobs in aviation, I am willing to take the plunge. Like I said earlier, when you have the passion, you'll be motivated from within to achieve greater things. Don't you agree that while aviation doesn't pay well, one who progresses to the level of Emirates' VP of Asia/Pacific Operations would earn more than if he had remained in his old company, where he did nothing but drag his feet to work everyday, not motivated to give his best? My point is, even though we're talking about two salary ranges, you may progress to the higher end of the lower range, and end up fetching a higher salary than in your better-paying former industry, simply because you wouldn't have progressed any further had you stayed on.
                  My Cafe Adventures

Comment

I've always been interested in the travel industry generally - airlines, hotels etc. But my greatest fear is that if I combine work and fun - it'd kill my love of travelling. A dilemma.
                    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                      I've always been interested in the travel industry generally - airlines, hotels etc. But my greatest fear is that if I combine work and fun - it'd kill my love of travelling. A dilemma.
                      Worse still, at work, you might have to take an unpopular decision that conflicts with your personal side of things, because of corporate direction or shareholder accountability. One good example is the dropping of the term Raffles Class in favour of Business Class!
                      My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                        Be a travel reporter ..I am thinking about that for my supposed sabbatical.

Comment

I found that the University of Newcastle in Australia offers Aviation Management courses.

They come in the form of Graduate Certificate in Aviation Management and Master of Aviation Management. While I am considering taking the Master course to help with my entry into the aviation industry, it seems that the courses are designed for people who are already part of the industry, as can be seen in the admission requirements. Thus I'm not sure if this course will be useful.

Furthermore, the course looks at the aviation industry from the human factors and safety perspectives. There's nothing much on business dynamics. Does anyone have any advice for me?
                          My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Not me... Industry tickets don't earn miles and PPSV$$$!

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                              Not me... Industry tickets don't earn miles and PPSV$$$!
                              What if you worked for say, Boeing, and your boss sends you to far-flung places in a bid to get the local airlines to buy your aircraft? I'm not sure if you'll get to fly in Business or First.

Anyhow, since I found out about the Newcastle Master programme, I've identified many other programmes. They come in various flavours, ranging from workshops to certificate programmes, from Bachelor courses to Masters degrees. Just a sampling of what I found:

Concordia University Aviation MBA
                              Massey University Graduate Diploma in Aviation
                              Singapore Aviation Academy Aviation Management
                              University of New South Wales Postgrad Aviation Courses
                              My Cafe Adventures

Comment

Working...
                              X